SKS Question.

Discussion in 'SKS' started by ArkansasHunter, Apr 20, 2010.

1. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

My hunting buddy neighbor and I took a ride today in search of some reloading powders and related stuff.

At one of the shops we went to in another city I found an SKS.
    The metal and finish were perfect with no noticeble wear.
    The stock I would grade verygood.

The rifle was used but well kept it appeared.

Here's the question...It was made in China, it did'nt say by who.
    It did have a stamp of a triangle with rounded corners with some lines running through it.

Can anyone tell me anything about this SKS ? Is it a Norinco ??? Is it a desireable model ???

The price tag said $299.00 I feel like it could be bought for $200.00.

What do we have here ??? Thank you...AH
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  2. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

You may have to look at the importer stamp to know. Mine is stamped "SKS 7.62x39 Made in China By Norinco Poly USA Atl GA" by the importer. Only thing stamped on it in China is the serial # and triangle 636.
  3. larmus

larmus G&G Newbie

welcome to a new addiction AH!!!

sounds like just a normal sks to me, chinese made in one of the many factorys, if ya new what the figures in the triangle were it would be easier to figure out (i have a chinese sks made at factory 26). if it was a norinco it would have been stamped as so...

but if you could get it for $200 w/ no wear on the action then i would jump on it buddy, any sks for 2 bones is a good deal right now!

good luck and let us know what ya do...
  4. ArkansasHunter

I recall seeing this ..."SKS 7.62x39 Made in China on the left side of the reciever I could'nt make out the rest due to poor lighting and I need glass's LOL
    My friend has a Russian SKS, he noted the fine condition of this rifle to.

The stamp that was triangle with rounded points had 3 or 4 verticle lines in it.
    I'll see if I can find this stamp on the net later and post it...AH
  5. cb671

cb671 G&G Enthusiast

$299 is still a deal in my book ... here they normally go for $400 for a Used Norinco .... I'm picking one up tomorrow from my buddy for $250 used and it's a Norinco.
  6. res45

res45 G&G Newbie

I have the same SKS as jmp8927 from the same imported but mine has the triangle factory 26 stamp and was made in 1965 according to the serial # which is the only factory number that can be reliably dated on the Chinese SKS.

However things like milled or stamped trigger group,threaded or pinned barrels blade or spike bayo can help determine if it's an early or late production rifle. Neither of these features are detrimental to the rifle as far as quality or accuracy of the rifle. I gave $200 for my NIB 26 about two years ago.

[​IMG]
  7. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

If I saw a ChiCom SKS around here at that price, I'd jump on it even if I couldn't argue him down much, AH. Yugo SKSes are going for $350 and up, and they are the ones we see most often. ChiComs and Russians go for $100 more than that - when you can find 'em.

Get yourself back there, haggle with the guy, and if you can get it to $250 or under grab it, you fool!
  8. ArkansasHunter

Seabee Scotty a member here has a Norineco SKS for sale if anyone is Interested.

The SKS I found, I'd have to trade something for it, which will be a 1974 t0 1975 Remington 870 Wingmaster with 30" plain barrel full choke in excellent and I do mean excellent condition.
    This shotgun kicks like a mule !!!! And will make your cheek blue, if you let it.
    My wife bought me a model 1100 because this 870 beat me up the few times I shot it. LOL Interesting though my 870 Express does'nt.
  9. Cyrano

Thread drift, AH: What exactly is the difference between the Wingmaster and the Express? Does one have a cheekpiece and the other doesn't? Firing the same load from similar models shoudl produce the same results, unless one is REALLY heavier than the other, or one has a rubber buttpad while the other has a solid buttplate.
  10. MLN1963

MLN1963 G&G Newbie

No disrespect to SKS owners but I just don't see how SKSs have turned into $300-$400 guns? If I could pick one up for $200 I'd probably do it but double that? I don't get it?
  11. Cyrano

It's called "Obama Anti-Gun Fever." Starting in about October of 2008 when it looked like the sonofabitch had a serious chance of winning, people who had been dithering on whether to buy a gun or not went out and started buying up every 7.62 NATO, 7.62 ComBloc and every 5.56 NATO semi-auto rifle they could lay their hands on, and the ammo to go with them.

This fever persists today in store prices, although it shows some signs of beginning to cool down. For instance, CETMEs (the Spanish battle rifle that is Sturmgewehr 44: The Next Generation and led to the G3/HK 91 in West Germany) were up to $1,200 each at one point. They're now down to about $550, which is still somewhere between $50 and $100 more than at the start of the fever. FN-FALs that were going for about $800 were up to as much as $1700 depending on rarity; they're back down to around $1200, sometimes (not often) around $900. Yugo SKS carbines that were going for $200 are now up to $325 or thereabouts, down from $400. I believe part of that is due to import restrictions.

On the other hand, Garands that could not be found for love nor money are out there, as low as $450 and averaging around $600. M-1 Carbines, ditto.

It even carried over into plentiful milsurps like the Mosin Nagant. Before Obama, a run of the mill wartime production round receiver went for about $60. That same gun today is up around $120. Hex receiver Mosins, especially ex-dragoons, were at around $90; today, they are around $150. You used to be able to find M38s; now they are rare as hen's teeth. M44s were so plentiful and cheap, it was almost 'Buy a 91/30, get an M44 free.' Today, M44s are going for anywhere from $130 to $150.

John Connor of American Handgunner predicted in one of the early 2009 issues that the "Obama's gonna ban the guns" frenzy would peak around January 2010 and end around July 2010, once people had spent their little alls on buying the guns they want while they still can "before the Empty Suit From Illinois gets around to trying to violate our Second Amendment rights." He also predicted the bottom would drop out of the gun and ammunition market and lots of gun stores would close by Christmas 2010 because Da Peepul had spent their little alls and now couldn't afford to spend any more on guns.

Personally, I think Connor is right about the former. I hope he's wrong about the latter, based on my own observations. At the gun shops I go to, it's no longer the insane, buy-buy-buy-and-damn-the-cost it was right after the Obamination won the election and for a couple of months after his inauguration. Things have calmed down from that, but they are by no means back to the casual laziness they were while Bush was in the White House. People come into the gun shops looking for guns. Usually they know what they are after and are prepared to pay for it. Sometimes they want something for home defense and don't have a clue what would be best for them. You still hear the "I'm getting mine while I still can" line, anti-Obama bumper stickers are there to be seen, and no one has anything good to say about Obama. One thing is for sure: at least around here, the Silent Majority isn't asleep any more. They are wide awake, they don't like what they see in Washington... and they are buying with purpose. Obama would do well to ponder the words of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto as he evaluated the results of the attack on Pearl Harbor:

"I fear that all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."
  12. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Get it AH !!
  13. ArkansasHunter

LOL Cyrano I was told here shortly after I joined g&g that Remington made a change to the 870 butt stock because it popped a lot of people in the cheek.

What they did was explained but I don't remember all that was said. The 870 Express that came years later arn't as well finished on the inside internals and the outside is matte black finished Though they do wearin though use. There's also a noticeable seam that was'nt finished out on top of the reciever.

The Wingmaster 870's action is butter smooth and has very nice wood and blued finish.
  14. ArkansasHunter

Steve were going back to pick up a tiller and a generator that we took to a repair shop in 2 weeks.
    If I don't go sooner I will go then and look it over.

I found a site that told me plenty about the chinease SKS's. This one is made at another factory other than Norinco and possible could be for the military and possibly the civilian market.
    I'm hopeing it's a military one.

res42 was great help to. Thanks feller...AH

I just thought of this...The one I looked at seemed shorter in lenght, very lite weight and had an excellent feel to it.
    Could it be a Paratrooper model if there is such a thing ???
  15. remchuck

remchuck G&G Newbie

hey AH,i have heard the sks made by norinco was a quality weapon as well as the military version.i bought a 1950 tula back in the early '90's.it has never disappointed me with its performance.as far as the price goes,i think it is a good buy.let us know how it turns out and good luck.
  16. cb671

cb671 G&G Enthusiast

AH I just picked up my SKS a few hour's ago ... gonna go do abit of cleaning now ... Now all I need to do is find some nice wood furniture for it. Will post some pic's later! lol
  17. EtherialOne

EtherialOne G&G Regular

Guess I just live in a Good Area!

Can't say for anyplace else but in the last couple of years I picked up two Sks's for $225 (72 Yugo covered in cosmo) and a used very early Yugo (C series pre '67) for $165 both in good condition. Also picked up a CETME just a couple of months ago for $400. I live in rural NC, but it appears prices here are significantly lower than many other areas from the posts.
  18. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

AH, that ain't a bad price for any SKS around these parts. The thing I like about SKS's is that they are a fun plinking rifle! Ammo is still cheap and there is nothing more fun than running about 200 rounds through the magazine! Plus, if someone wanted a good short range semi auto hunting rifle the SKS is a good one for that with good ammo. I find them fairly accurate too.
  19. Cyrano

For sure your prices are lower than my prices up here in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York. Whereabouts in North Carolina are you finding these great prices? I'm hoping to be able to take a vacation down there later this year.
  20. TRUE GRIT

TRUE GRIT G&G Newbie

Like all mill-surp rifles the supply eventually dries up and the price will rise. Chinese SKS are no longer coming into the country, the Russians ones are getting more scarce and the Yugos will be next. I got a russian SKS in 1992 for $180, sold it in 2001 when money was tight for $200 thinking I will pick up another one for 2 bills down the road - Doh ! A nice Russian one are going for 500 + in most places now, and as the chinese become more scarce they will be more valuable down the road as well.

Think of how cheap M1 carbines were just not to long ago and what they are going for now. Same thing with Mosins, I got my first M44 in 1999 for $49 bucks ( Los Angeles), now they are starting to dry out, next will be the 91-30 Mosins. Imagine in 25 years what they will be going for.