SKS Slide Fire Stock Idea

Discussion in 'SKS' started by 9mmXDm, Feb 24, 2012.

1. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

So I'm just interested in slide fire stocks. But I can't find them for the SKS. I thought of an idea.

Take a six position adjustable stock. Remove and or pin the lock lever that let's you adjust it so it moves freely. Now add a 1" round 4-5 inch long spring into were it adjusts. Cap it off and it should spring back and forth when fires

Don't know if it would work. But for a few bucks at the hardware store it might be worth a try.
  2. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

Great idea!
  3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Can we see a drawing of it in open and closed positions? I'm having trouble visualizing it.
  4. lunchbox99

lunchbox99 G&G Enthusiast

washington in a van down by the skagit river
    Maybe it will work. I think I am seeing what you are thinking. I have seen stuff like that for ak and ar stocks. Maybe get ideas from the other designs.
  5. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

[​IMG]
  6. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

Although I am not big on bump firing, the physics of the concept is curious. The spring might help, but you need to have the pistol grip and the buttstock fixed together. You will want the receiver and trigger group to move back ward against the spring, then the spring pushes the receiver and trigger group back into your trigger finger and pops off another round. You want max control over the weapon with the buttstock in your shoulder pocket, you hand firmly around the grip and your trigger finger fixed as well.

So for a right handed person, the buttstock, grip and right hand are one unit, the receiver trigger and left hand are the other. So you are not pulling the trigger with your right hand, your left hand is pulling the receiver and trigger into your finger.

Confused yet?
  7. Dylandance

Dylandance G&G Newbie

Thats not really how the slide fire works. the grip and buttstock have to move together on some sort of tube. You dont need a spring at all
  8. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

That wouldn't be too hard to do. Since the pistol grip is a single part. All you'd have to do a mold it into the butt stock add the spring and cap and should be good to go.
  9. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

Why not just modify the AR15 slidefire stock and put it on an SKS Tapco stock? The stock part is interchangeable between the tapco stocks and all the standard AR-15 collapsing stocks.
  10. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

They are about 375.00
  11. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

Yeah $375 isn't going to work. A few parts at the hardware store to test try the idea for under $30 is worth it to me on this project.

Sadly I just sold the stock. So I can't try it out.
  12. squashpup

squashpup G&G Newbie

I joined just to respond on this thread...

IMO, I'd do a little more research before I'd attempt to add a spring to create a bump fire stock. If you do, I'd think you just created a machine gun.

Any type of spring that causes the gun to continue firing cycles on it's own is considered a machine gun by the ATF. The difference with a Slide Fire is that you have to hold forward pressure on the front hand guard in order to keep the cycle going. In effect, you have to make a conscious decision by pushing forward to cause each firing of the gun.

In effect, the spring would "act" on your behalf. Once the gun began firing, simply holding your hands or fingers in a static position would cause the gun to continue firing on it's own, independent of any conscious action by the user. That's a no-no, from what I understand.

I believe the big problem with the "original" bump fire stock, the Akins Accelerator, was that the spring did the work. That, according to the ATF, makes it a "mechanical device" that causes the "full auto" fire. The Slide Fire has no such spring mechanism.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I encourage anyone who's interested in adding a spring to research thoroughly before proceeding.
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  13. BEAVER1961

BEAVER1961 G&G Newbie

slide stock under $1.00

Fix the pin so it moves freely and put a strap around your shoulder keeping the butt of the stock against your shoulder you will want a rear grip no doing any mod. but putting the strap on less than $1.00 there is not spring in the slide fire stock
  14. BEAVER1961

BEAVER1961 G&G Newbie

slide fire stock under $1.00

Fix the pin so it moves freely and put a strap around your shoulder keeping the butt of the stock against your shoulder you will want a rear grip no doing any mod. but putting the strap on less than $1.00 there is not spring in the slide fire stock
  15. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

I believe you are correct. The slide fire stock is operator activated and there for legal. If we could move our trigger fingers at 650 rounds per minute that would be legal as well.:silly:
  16. Jeep Thing

Jeep Thing G&G Regular

I love DIY ! Try it over and over till it works. Sounds like with the right spring and a proper trigger finger "flexed" that it would work. And "one pull of the trigger per fired round" is semi auto not full.
    Guys do it at my house by holding a stick in front of the trigger pressed into their hip and the left hand holding the fore end just so and spend all the ammo they brought over.
    Just big fun now and then.
  17. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 G&G Newbie

The predecessor to the current slide fire stocks was spring loaded. BATF immediately classified it as a NFA restricted item. No spring allowed.
  18. Jeep Thing

Jeep Thing G&G Regular

9mmXDm,,, you may, and I hope you do, bring this up in the class 3 forum. I am not sure if KeithT1967 is misunderstanding the subject or has a valid point.
    I have 2 guys that show up out here 1 time every once in a while that are class 3 card holders and visit and have fun. But that's full.

from BATFE

Categories of firearms regulated

Main article: Title II weapons
    The National Firearms Act of 1968 (NFA) defines a number of categories of regulated firearms. These weapons are collectively known as NFA firearms and include the following:

Machine guns—this includes any firearm which can fire more than 1 cartridge per trigger pull. Both continuous fully automatic fire and "burst fire" (i.e., firearms with a 3-round burst feature) are considered machine gun features. The weapon's receiver is by itself considered to be a regulated firearm.

Somebody always has to through a wrench in it. One trigger pull ... one round fired ... with a trained monkey on your arm helping and some animal SOB would show up. 9mmXDm get a bucket of springs, lube for the stock, and whatever and let us know how it goes.
  19. Benji64

Benji64 G&G Newbie

BATF said no springs....

I will agree; the spring is what shut the man and his operation down when he first started it several years back. AND this was AFTER getting prior aproval from BATF!!!
    So, I ask you what do you think the BATF will do to you when they catch you?
    Next question; Waddaya think Bubba is going to do to you in the Pen? I'm stratching my "mental eyeball" out over the thoughts.
  20. Benji64

Benji64 G&G Newbie

And that is what the bump-firing Slide Fire stock allows- one round per trigger pull. So the un-modified stock is leagal in a court of Law. Adding the spring shut the man down after dumping his entire life savings and getting his product confiscated. Did I mention that it was approved by BATF?? Insert any distainful remark of the BAFT you want in this line.