SKS Stock is loose.

Discussion in 'SKS' started by GoodAim, Aug 29, 2007.

1. GoodAim

GoodAim G&G Newbie

Ok I am trying to figure out how I could just fix this problem. I am going to attempt explaining this. If you hold the barrel, grab the stock, near the end, you can wiggle it vertically it moves around where the front of the stock goes into the bracket.

I noticed that the bracket is pinned onto the barrel. Is there anyway that could have moved? Or perhaps the stock is just beaten up so badly that it is worn down on that end? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Again.
  2. Burke

Burke Ahh..Cordite.

Perhaps your wood has shrunk (humidity related issue)
    Pics would help.
    Are all your parts securely fitted (metal)?
  3. GoodAim

GoodAim G&G Newbie

Yup all of the metal seems to be in place and has not shifted. I believe that the wood has indeed shrunk. I live in Texas near the Gulf Coast and the humidity here is really high always. I think I am just going to replace the furniture on it.

Also I just bought a new 30 Round magazine made by Pro Mag. It won't feed at all after loading it only the first round will load. I am guessing these magazines are junk! I noticed that if I remove it and squeeze it near the top then all the rounds come up. I guess the cheap plastic won't hold up to the force of the spring so it bows out then causing the ammo not to feed up in the mag. Anyone else have similar issues? Is there a fix? Thanks
  4. Fokker

Fokker G&G Newbie

Generally humidity causes wood to swell, not shrink. I used to live just outside of Houston and there's always constant humidity there. It's even more apparent in Arizona when the humidity rises in monsoon season.
  5. GoodAim

GoodAim G&G Newbie

Hum I still think that something is wrong with the stock. I think that over time it may have been beaten down over the years just from hard use. I just ordered a new T6 Stock and Scope with receiver mounting kit.
  6. robertscheib

robertscheib G&G Newbie

FWIW - I have similar problem with a newly acquired Enfield No4 Mk1. Found the stock wood to be extremely dry, and shrunk away from mounting points - "old timers" on the Enfirld forum advised a thorough soak in 50/50 mix of raw linseed oil and pure gum turpentine to reconstitute the wood IE make it swell up. When dried completely the linseed oil has no oily/greasy residue. All 3 of my YUGO SKS's have an oiled finish, wood of two were very dry despite being full of cosmoline. Might give that LO soak a try? I personally don't like the aftermarket plastic stocks - they have a very different "shooting" feel that I never got used to.
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Most SKS stocks are somewhat loose, and some vertical movement of the barrel is common. I find that putting something in the barrel channel as a filler can really help it. Cardboard or plastic sheet, depending on thickness needed. Some SKS owners have used bedding compound to firm up the fit. This will make a real difference in shooting accuracy.
    If you get a synthetic stock, be sure it has a steel recoil lug. Otherwise, the receiver may well become loose eventually - I had that happen with an ATI "Ultralight" folding stock.
  8. Garand9015

Garand9015 G&G Newbie

If its just a wiggle I wouldn't worry to much about it just as big dog stated. But if its on the verge of falling out try sticking sometype of hard packed wedge.
  9. GoodAim

GoodAim G&G Newbie

It wiggles but doesn't seem like it would just fall out. I think that when I get my new stock I should be in good shape it's a Tapco T6 Stock.
  10. Tex in Maine

Tex in Maine G&G Newbie

GA the metal componants are held to the stock by a pin on the bottom of the reciever that locks into a hole behind the trigger, to check I would place upside down on it's reciever cover on a towle on a hard serface, floor, table, bench, and give a good downward push on the trigger guard..

check here a lot of good info and pics..

Collecting and Shooting the SKS Carbine - HISTORY
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  11. GoodAim

GoodAim G&G Newbie

Yea I have checked it over a couple times and went thru the entire gun to make sure that everything was in place. It all checks out. I am sure that when I get the new stock that I will be in good shape. Thanks for the link! Tex. I appreciate it.