Slugs Vs Buck Shot for home defense

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Doglips, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Have not had a decent debate (asside from religious) in a while...so what do you all think....for home defense Buckshot (and the best size buck shot) VS Slugs VS Birdshot.

I Like birdshot for the close in (under 10ft)..I see a few hundred pellets all massed togher as pretty much ending any conversation.

Buckshoot (O or OO) is next in line....and best for beyond say 10ft...9-12 30cal round balls goes a long way in convinceing a crackhead to stop trying to harm your family.

Slugs...I think slugs hit hard (course they weight 1oz or 435 grains)...but you lose the advantage of a spreed..how ever slight that spread is...at even 10 ft...a 3-4 inch spread can make up for the adrinilin rush jitters...so aside from maybe hunting...I think slugs are basicly worthless.

Ok I got the flame proof suit on...as GW says "lets get it on". :):eek:
  2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

BIRDSHOT!!!

slugs, and buckshot may penetrate walls, and hit someone not the goblin. but then again a clear shot at the perp is neccessary, no matter what gun is used.
  3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

I believe in using Buckshot as first deadly shot, and slugs as a last resort. Buck has spread and is better for taking a moving person. If they're still moving at you, meaning they're absolutely crazy and/or high, you need the concentrated destructive power of a slug.
  4. einnor1040

einnor1040 G&G Newbie

If my shot gun were a pump, the first 2 rounds would be #6 shot.
    The rest would be Buckshot.
  5. Rufus Rhastus J

Rufus Rhastus J Senior Member

West, Central Florida, Third World America
    Huuummmmm......

:cool: I'm inclined to agree with Dog lips and Papa G. For all the reasons mentioned. Though I must admit never haveing had to blast anyone. I imagine it would be rather traumatic but, even more so would be the perp not falling down after you have blasted him/her. I must consider the safety aspect as mentioned by Papa G and the need to be sure of one's target. but, if the final soloutin is called for, then so be it. I like to think that #6 or#4 would do well at close range and besides, how do you explain that you blasted somebody who was not close enough to you or a loved one to be a threat. something to consider.
  6. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

bird shot;
    at close range it IS a slug.
    buck & slugs are terribly expensive to practice with, bird shot it cheap.
    wall penetration as mentioned above.
    litigation. Bird shot may work in your favor if the going gets really tough.
    Rotation, the 'ole 71/2's been in the gun too long, bust some clays & refresh. (cheaply)
  7. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Buckshot...I don't have to worry about hitting anyone else. Want to make sure the scumbag doesn't make it to court!
  8. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

out of a 12 ga.? - you could probably shoot rock salt out of your 12ga. at 10-20 feet and do away with about anyone. So I would think birdshot would be adequate. But me, I live out in the country and the nearest neighbor is more than 1/2 mile away so I have "00" buck for all 5 shots. If I don't hit 'em with that then the perp has to deal with one p*ssed off old lady, she'll be mad at me for missing but the perp will take the heat!!!!!

Seen the "Dime" shooter round in the Shotgun News - shoots round slugs the size of dimes, supposed to be really, really lethal up to 50 feet or so then quickly looses it's power.
  9. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

First round Bird, the rest slugs.

If I have to take a second shot, its probably because the perp is hiding behind something. Also, you never know when you'll have to take it outside, then you have obstacles, distance, and cover - few of which are problems for slugs.
  10. Sniper[MI]

Sniper[MI] G&G Newbie

If the perp is behind something

Might I suggest some full jaketed milsurp ammo out of Milsurp gun of choice? But then there is that whole pesky downrange thing.....
  11. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

We're like Joe....we don't have anyone else in the house to concern ourselves with.

So, I got 'er loaded with #1. It's gots a lot more BBs than with 00 or 0.

I'd be afraid I'd miss just enough not to make slugs effective.

Plus, with most home invasions being at night (or when the house is dark and the intruder thinks no one is at home or the occupants are asleep and can be caught by surprise) you certainly ain't gonna turn on lights to announce yourself so I'm not sure how anyone would be able to hit anything with slugs unless it was pure D luck.

I'll let the little bugger come to me...then when HE/SHE turns on the lights or turns on a flashlight....they're mine....yepper....fer sure.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2003
  12. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

For inside the house #2 lead is all you need. Two to the chest & one to the head and the only side they get to listen to is yours. END GAME!
  13. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

I have seen what a 12 ga does to a human body at close range, trust me 7 shot at twelve feet is as deadly or more deadly then buck or slug. Imagine all the digging a doctor does just to attempt to get a majority of the shot out. With the finer shot you get a larger wound at close range. If I recall correct the Glazer Safety rounds for for my .357 are a metal jacket packed with 12 (?) shot, extremely fine round to prevent wall penetration. I have heard talk Glazer claims that no one has survived a torso shot and most limb penetrations result in amputation. The shot is so fine it just pulverizes the flesh into jelly.
  14. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

What do you have in your house that a badguy could hide behind that will stop say #4 birdshot? Can he hide behind your fridge or washer/dryer? A court might fry you if you shoot someone trying to retreat and hide. Does your local laws allow you to chase someone down the street? Again, you might want to get measured for your prison suit.
  15. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

There are plenty of things i my house that will slow down #4 enough to make it less effective. The better question should be what do I have in my house that will slow down a slug enough to make it less effective...? The answer: nothing.

If I've shot at him once already, its because I was in fear of my life or that of my family. Its not gonna make a difference if I shoot at him again. In my dark house at night, I won't know if he is hiding to reload or ambush me or gain tactical advantage or because he is trying to flee, but I'm going to assume the worst.

My local laws might or might not let me chase someone down the street (depends on the circumstance), but if I have to grab the shotgun and go outside for any reason, I don't want to get stuck with a gun full of birdshot.

I'd rather get measured for my prison suit than my last suit.
  16. missharpshooter

missharpshooter G&G Newbie

For home defence....the question was.... which would you use buckshot or slugs.....the answer is DBL -00- buckshot....that is all you need ......I keep my shotgun by my bed with a few rds and on my night table is my semi-auto loaded and on safety, so I am not worried, I also have an alarm system and window locks and sticks in my window tracks and a safety bar on my sliding glass door.......I also have a security door over my front door, so I am pretty secure..... , when I was out the other night, however I was in the store, when it got robbed and nobody even noticed the guy except me, he ran over to the beer cooler and got a case of beer and ran out the door, and nobody even noticed, so I said, hey...did you know you just got had...for a case...then everybody was like what did he look like...... what did he have on...I said, he will be back, as your an easy target....but you should look at your video tapes...and show metro as he might be 440......crime is everywhere don't ever think your safe, cause you will be the next victim....if you don't take precautions...and be alert to your surroundings.....:assult:
  17. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Birdshot !...like there is really any difference at interior home defense ranges
  18. Dennis

Dennis G&G Enthusiast

I have my defence shotgun loaded with S&B 00 buck 2 3/4
    Because it is what I have practiced with.
    I can hit a person sized target from zero to about 100 yards
    pretty concistantly
    Also 00 buck can if fired in the correct area can stop an automobile engine.
    See it is ALLWAYS a lot better shoot the car and get away than shoot the person.
    if they are in your house and you know your house.
    It may be advantagous to be able to penatrate walls or doors. 00 buck does that quite well
    but that is MY situation and that is what works best for me.......right now
    I may later change to #4 shot or slugs or ....God knows what.
    Theres isnt anything set in stone about self defence
    What you like this year you may not like next year.
    Your tastes will change
    The most important thing about defending your home with a firearm is
    Practice practice practice.
    YOU Get Good with shooting
    Then what type of ammunition you choose won't make that much difference
  19. DuckDodgeHide

DuckDodgeHide G&G Newbie

My primary line of defense is a 96 lb. Doberman. If they get past him, my 12 ga. comes out loaded up with alternate 00/slug shells. Also a good load for any bears breaking into the cabin at night.
  20. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Our home defense shotguns are loaded with #4 and 00 buck, two #4 then one 00, etc.

The thinking is (based on living on the Left Coast) that these are considered "Defensive Loads" not hunting loads in this area.

The use of the shotgun would be confined to in the house only. If we had to go outside, the Glock stoked with Hydra-Shoks and a tactical light is the "grab and go gun" of choice. After that it is the AR or AK.

We have neighbors on all four sides. The risk of penetration of a slug round into a neighbor's house is too great to justify using slugs for our home defense.

As others have mentioned, the charge from a 12 gauge at 10 to 15 feet is devastating! No slug is going to do any more damage than #4 or 00 at that distance. It may even be LESS effective, by passing through the BG rather than dumping all the energy into the BG.

These ruminations are based on my own tests, and the observations of others' experiences. Human bodies are mostly water, packed into billions of little "baggies" called cells. A shotgun blast into a human body is very gruesome, especially with #4 shot. It creates a sizeable wound channel, that craters at the end of momentum. The 00 Buck shot will have deeper individual pellet penetration, and will shred a body pretty well. Both are very effective at close range.

The reason I load two #4s to one 00 Buck is the same as the Slug consideration: the caution of not wanting to penetrate neighbors homes. If two #4 shots doesn't stop the BG, then I am willing to "up the ante" to make sure I DO stop the BG.