Smith & wesson 41 Mag

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mel Bjork, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Mel Bjork

Mel Bjork G&G Newbie

Model 57 6" barrel, I just bought it from a friend for $350. Just wondering what you guys thought of this handgun?
  2. blat

blat G&G Newbie

If it is good shape, you got a DEAL! I've had 29's/629's, but the only 41 M I had was a Ruger BH. The 57's are excellent guns.
  3. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    I think you got a great deal. I've got a Lew Horton 657 which is a stainless steel, round handled, 3 inch barreled version of the Model 57. It is a beautiful weapon. It is a little tough on the wrist using fully loaded magnum rounds. My Dad left me about a half dozen boxes(x50) of reloads he loaded for it that are what I'll call .41 Magnum "Lites" that makes it a pleasure to shoot. I've only got a couple boxes left.

[​IMG]
  4. danny29

danny29 G&G Newbie

I bought one in the 80's when you couldn't find a 44 mag at a decent price thanks to the "Dirty Harry" movies. It's agreat gun and gou got a great deal. One of my favorate N frames.
  5. Bookman

Bookman G&G Enthusiast

Congrats. You STOLE that gun. A S&W collector will pay $500 for a Model 57 and not give the price a second thought. A shop in my area has one in the case for $635.
  6. Hammer Down

Hammer Down G&G Newbie

Hello
    I have an Older 57 and can tell you it will Never be for sale. The 4" Nickel Variety are tough to find and average $650.00-$800.00 if and when you do find one. I was Glad to swap a S&W model 624 .44 Special caliber stainless revolver for it many years ago. Here is is in it's Presentation case and out of it as well. You stole the 6" model you Got, Hang onto it and enjoy the caliber and rarity of the Model 57. Regards, Hammerdown

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Mel Bjork

Mel Bjork G&G Newbie

$1 Mag

Hey Hammer send me an E-mail and I'll send you pictures of mine( gp219@aol.com )
  8. Hammer Down

Hammer Down G&G Newbie

Mel
    Post it here so everyone Can See it.. Hammerdown
  9. Valentine

Valentine G&G Newbie

My 657

Congratulations on an excellent addition to your personal arsenal!
    As we are all keenly aware, the firearm is the necessity for the work the cartridge does. Focusing on the cartridge, the .41 Magnum is the product of knowledgable user demand; it is not a "gosh, I hope this generates revenue" brainblossom of some underexposed accountant. Here, we take our collective hats off to Bill Jordan and Elmer Keith and the horde of bench shooter/wildcatters who made one in their basement.

Validating this great American entrepreneurship is none other than ... the FBI. Applying many cubic meters of taxpayers' bucks, Uncle Whiskers determined that the 10mm semi would provide their LEOs with the one-shot stopping power that the modern drug trade required. Examining the ballistics of said 10mm, we find the long-sought .41 Special that was never produced commercially, unless you count Remington's .41 Magnum Lite.

Dr. Taffin has written about his activity and satisfaction with his version of the .41 Special and the Wizards at R&D offer(ed) their Colt Open-Top in .41 Special with their handloads to go with it. So, real gun guys have signed on to the wisdom of the .41 Special.

The current fad, of course, is the 10mm short, or .40S&W. Many-many LEOs carry this cartridge; many-many CHLs do, too (such as me). Sadly, it is also the product of demand by knowledgable users who cannot abide the whomp of the 10mm/.41 Special or, even less, the .41 Magnum. Fortunately, for we who might be innocent bystanders to a LEO or CHL shoot-out, it is more controllable than the morepowder versions of the 10mm family, Clint Eastwood, notwithstanding. So, we are less ... somewhat less ... likely to get hit with a flinch.

Enough yammering ... my S&W 657 is the light of my life. Yes, it is a challenge to manage the recoil, but not nearly so unachievable as the .44 Magnum. If I could afford a pickup full of rounds, I would wear a rut between my shooting bench and the target boards. Shooting that baby is like ... putting your hand on an erupting volcano and walking home to tell about it. It truly is the optimized epitome of anti-personnel handguns.
    ... and else ...
  10. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    Very eloquently stated and great first post. Welcome to the forum, Valentine!!!
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  11. Hammer Down

Hammer Down G&G Newbie

Hello
    Sadly, Back in 1964 when the .41 Magnum hit the scene the .44 Magnum had all ready been there since 1956. With a Jump start of 8 Years on the .41 Magnum, The .44 Magnum all ready had a Loyal following. The .41 Magnum was down played and Loaded soft compared to what can be achieved when Hand Loaded. I have exceeded the velocity of the .44 Magnum while hand Loading for my .41 Magnum on several Occasions, and hand loaded correctly, it is as Potent if not more Potent than the .44 Magnum round due to the Lighter weight Bullets being 210 Grains it also shoots a little flatter. I tell people the Only difference between the two calibers is a bullet being .019" smaller in Diameter. :rolleyes:The Do Gooders complained of the Power of the .41 Magnum as a carry weap0on, so it never really caught on good and in that Era, the bottom fedders were catching on, so the 10 MM and the .40 Cal. caught and stick for the L.E.O. Crowd. I have always liked the .41 Magnum but to get the true Potential out of it, Must one hand load for it... Hammerdown
  12. Valentine

Valentine G&G Newbie

Amen, Hammerdown. Always best to listen to our graybeards.
    I also have a .41 Magnum Marlin lever-action. I consider that the ideal platform for
    hot loads. You're probably aware that Elmer Keith hot-loaded the .44 because it had
    thicker walls than a .45 in the N-frame cylinder to handle the pressure. More so in
    spades for the .41 N-frame.
  13. Hammer Down

Hammer Down G&G Newbie

Hello
    I have Kiled many Deer with a .41 Magnum S&W revolver, and those that have not owned one nor fired one are in the Dark on their true Potential. Elmer Keith Hot Roded the .44 Special triple Locks due to their massive cylinder walls compared to the Colt Single action .45's back then, that were Wafer thin in the cylinder wall area, he Prefered S&W's and the .44 Special caliber the most. His Dillegent progress expanding the .44 Special load to Velocities never seen or heard of, later lead to the birth of the .44 magnum. It was said it was he, that reccomended S&W to Lengthen the casing of the .44 Special to the Length decided on for the Mighty .44 Magnum and Remington built the Cartridge that was fired in the Pre-29's. The actual revolver sent to Remington for Testing was Not a .44 Magnum, But a modified Model of 1950 Forth Series Hand eject in .44 Special. This was all done in or around 1954 and in 1956 S&W released the Very first .44 magnum Hand Guns called the pre-29's. They did change the barrel on the Pre-29's to be a Heavy target style barrel unlike the tapered .44 Special model of 1950, But other than that, The Model of 1950 in .44 Special was The Platform revolver used to Demo the Experimental .44 magnum round. They also Heat treated the cylinder and frame of the experimental Model of 1950 to provide the strength needed for the Hotter .44 Magnum round. Here is a model of 1950 I have that shipped Just four short Months after the factory introduced this model in January 1951. Anyone that Has a Model 29 really needs to add The Grandfather to it, This Model of 1950 .44 Special revolver. Regards, Hammerdown

[​IMG]
  14. Mel Bjork

Mel Bjork G&G Newbie

41 Mag

Ok guy's Thanks for all the input on my model 57 41 mag. I will put some pictures up soon. Now after all the reading on this cartridge, I want another revolver. I do a lot of pig hunting where I live. I've always wanted to hunt with a hand gun. So I found out to mount a scope on my mdel 57 it requires a third hole drilled and tapped, witch will ruin the collecters value of it. So I will still hunt with it ,with open sights. But I found a Smith & wesson model 657-2 in 41 mag. on a online auction sight. I'm running out of time, I want to buy to tonight. But I live in california and we have this stupid drop test law. Forgive the triple post I've done tonight but I need to know before I bid on it. It's stainless 8 3/8 barrel looks like very little use and I can hit the "BUY IT NOW FOR $699.00" but I don't know if the wonderful state of California will let me have it. Does anybody know?

Mel
    By the way, I have a 26 year old son and a two year old grandson. So the thought of these two boy's having my 41's and many other gun's I own when I'm gone is going to make look down with a big SMILE.
  15. Mel Bjork

Mel Bjork G&G Newbie

41 mag

Hammer,
    I reloaded 100 shells last night for my 41 mag, I never reloaded anything before. But with some stuff I bought from GUNBROCKER.COM and a friends press. I made up 100 rounds last night. What a thrill to make your own bullits for penney's compared to almost $2.00 a round here. At 25 yards I was shooting 4" low but at 100 yards a was right there withen 4". I just ordered a Ruger Bisley hunter with scope rings new in box I can't wait to get it. It's all about the single action, some how that got by the GOV. and they are legal here.

Mel
  16. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

Man, I love Smith and Wesson!!!! Sorry, I get a little excited when I think about my favorite revolvers. HD that is one sweet model 24. I have always wanted one. If the model 24 is the grandfather of the model 29 then the triple lock is it's great-grandfather.
  17. Mel Bjork

Mel Bjork G&G Newbie

Smith & wesson

Sorry, I've owned maybe 10 Smith & Wesson's The model 57 41 mag in my safe is by far the best yet.

Mel
  18. Hammer Down

Hammer Down G&G Newbie

Correct... :) Hammerdown
  19. Mel Bjork

Mel Bjork G&G Newbie

41 mag

Ok I'm going to try to post a picture. I just joined photo bucket. I hope I can do it???

Mel
  20. Mel Bjork

Mel Bjork G&G Newbie

Can someone help me. I'm registerd with Photobucket, But I cant figure out how to post pictures?

Mel