Smith & Wesson Model 422 .22 LR Pistol

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson' started by Cyrano, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

I ran across one of these in a gun shop. It's the 4 inch barrel model. I was kind of intrigued by it because it has the barrel mounted down where you'd expect to find the guide rod, recoil spring and barrel bushing. It has an alloy frame, nice and light, points well and I though the sights weren't too bad. Comes with a pre-ban 12 round magazine. But a quick look on gunbroker.com had me gagging when I found factory 10 round mags are going for nearly $50 each. Apparently 12 round mags for this one are not easy to find.

Does anyone own one of these? How does it shoot? Are they rare or have I just not run across one before? How easy are they to strip down and maintain?

They want $200 and will do layaway. Is that a fair price for a pistol with 1 mag, no box and no papers?
  2. Hammer Down

Hammer Down G&G Newbie

The 422,622,2206,2213 & 2214 Pistols

Hello
    The 422 is a Great Little Pistol. You failed to mention if it has adjustable sight's or if it is a fixed sighted pistol ? They made both and recently I Picked up the one shown for $200.00 with Two magazines. This Pistol will also use the same magazine as the famous S&W Model 41 Pistol. S&W first came out with the under barrel design on their Pocket model 61's back in the late 1960's to Mid 1970's. The first ones were jammers but if you come across any that are Dash-1's Dash-2's or Dash-3's they are excellent Little Pistols. They stopped making them in 1974 and started making the 422's in the Early 1980's. After the 422's, 622's which is the stainless version alloy Pistol and the 2206's which are totaly stainless, along with the 3" Version model 2213's and 2214's Blued and stainless models, S&W came out with the 22-A's as their replacement and Opened a brand new plant to make them in Houlton maine. I personally prefer the Old school 422's, 622's, 2206's 2213's & 2214's over the newer 22-A's they make now. Below is the One I Picked up for $200.00 recently and I consider that a Steal, along with a 2206 and 2213 3" Version. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

[​IMG]

The 2213

[​IMG]

The 2206

[​IMG]

The Original Under barrel S&W Pistol The Model 61-2

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  3. NNYRebel13

NNYRebel13 G&G Newbie

I used to have a 422 with a 6 inch barrel and adjustable sights. If I remember right I picked it up used with 2 mags for 190+tax. It was a good pistol . . looked just like the first one that Hammer Down has pictured. My father has a 422 with the 4 inch barrel and fixed sights that looks brand new . . I don't think there is 100 rounds thru it if that. I sold mine to my father-in-law and bought a used Ruger Mk II. Never had any problems with the 422 but I have wanted to get a Ruger and finally found one in my price range.
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Hammer, it looks a lot like the 422 in the first picture. The rear sights look like they can be adjusted with a jeweler's scredriver, but I'm not sure about the front sight. It looke integral to the frame, but as I don't know the pistol i could easily be wrong. Can you advise me?
  5. Hammer Down

Hammer Down G&G Newbie

Hello
    I have seen the smaller rear sight screws on some of the earlier Model 422's you speak of, and they are fine. The front sight blade is integral on all of them. They are a tack driver get it you will Not regret it... Hammerdown
  6. tigers

tigers G&G Newbie

The gun is a great shooting gun.it is pretty accurate at about twent five yards.beyond that cant hit much.i picked the gun up brand new about twenty years ago for about 200$ to 240$.with one mag and wood grips but it has papers and everything else with it.i also looked at one currently tryin to price the thing and i came across one that they were bidin 340$ on but that one also had the papers.i also went elk hunting this weekend and used the gun to finish it off worked pretty good.but after that i shot it some more and this gun does not cycle good with anything other than non lead rounds the ones that are lead just dirty it up and starts to jam.and the gun aint real hard to maintain if you dont want to take it apart then its a pretty good pain.the little gun has sixty somethin parts.and the twelve mag isnt to hard to find i saw one for 24.99$.the one i own is a 6 inch barrel wich would probably be more accurate.
  7. Hammer Down

Hammer Down G&G Newbie

Hello Tigers
    These 422's are often more accurate than Guy's can hold them.:approve: Given they are made from Aluminum they tend to be real easy to flinch with, as their triggers leave a lot to be desired. I have found the use of a good sand bag will allow shot's to be very accurate at the 50 Yard line, that is about as far as these Old eyes work anymore with Metalic sights. Taking them apart for a good cleaning is not a real problem either, once one see's how it is done. below is a link to You-Tube that shows how to dissasemble one for cleaning, that should help anyone wondering how to do it... Hammerdown
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAEB1L2s_N0]YouTube - Smith and Wesson 422, 622, 2213, & 2214, Disassembly & Reassembly[/ame]
  8. stevec

stevec G&G Newbie

Hey Tigers,
    I bought this pistol new in '93. The same one in Hammer Down's video and it has got to be the most accurate .22 pistol I own. My friends laughed at the cardboard box it came in until they got it in their hands. Mine will cut a soda can in half at 50 yds. and will empty the 12 round clip as fast as you can pull the trigger. It's super light and very easy to conceal. My only problem is that cleaning is kinda hard, as you are limited as to how far you can take it apart. Great gun!!! If you find one, buy it!! Mine cost $225.
  9. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter Suspended

The 422 was my first handgun, my father bought it for me as a Christmas gift when I was in high school. It is STILL the most accurate handgun I've ever fired. I can dump a full mag into a paper plate at 25yds rapid. I just wish I could figure out how to suppress this little beauty...