Soldiers not getting paid due to budget?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DannyV, Apr 4, 2011.

1. DannyV

DannyV G&G Newbie

Heard in conversation today that non-deployed soldiers are not getting all of their pay until the budget issues are solved? I have no idea if this is true or not but I thought I would bring it up. Anyone have some input on this?
  2. AndrewA74

AndrewA74 G&G Regular

There was an article in SOLDIERS magazine that basically said if a government shutdown occurred, government employees, including soldiers would not get paid for that day.
    Andrew
  3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

We went through this during Reagans term !! GI 's will be paid !! The disturbing fact is that it may affect retired pay and disability pay !!
  4. docmaghee

docmaghee G&G Newbie

Isn't it always something with our so called "Government"? The ones who are always getting screwed are "Our" "American Soldiers"..... Freedom isn't free, just ask a vet. Our country has forgotton how it got to be where it is today... The land of the FREE.--Courtesy of "The American Soldier".---End of story.
  5. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Exactly!
  6. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Politics & the Media!
    Soldiers, being used as PAWNS. :zx11pissed:
  7. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

oh, #*@##*, now i am worried.... this will affect me and my buddies....
    i have enough saved that i could make it through a couple of months, but am involved with several kids who have been in foster care, helping them with college and etc., and this may screw things up royally....
    especially since i am in california with its budget problems.... college for disadvantaged kids is getting a bit iffy....
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  8. SwedeSteve

They will pay themselves for sure !! And leave the most wanting hanging !! What a shameless group !! Email them and tell them of your distrust !! They will listen to your offense !!
  9. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

They can't even manage a budget, much less the country. Republicans and Democrats are the same.
  10. SwedeSteve

It would appear everyone got paid !! Yet the argument continues. I have less confidence in the Congress resolving the budget, than I do in seeing pigs fly !!
  11. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

While serving active duty during the Clinton Admin we were still paid when he shut down the Govt. The thing that sucked about that was my two buddies and I had taken a 4 day pass and were camping in Yosemite. We arrived late afternoon got our tent set up and had time for a very brief hike. We were awakened in the AM by a park ranger stating the Govt had just shut down and therefore the park was closed. That really sucked because none of us had ever been there and didn't have the opportunity to go back.
  12. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

13. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

The army is considered "essential" personel when the government shuts down. As for the budget - there is no budget this year. The government has been operating of temporary spending bills that expire every couple months.

If you are a park ranger sitting in a tower looking for smoke you might have an issue.
  14. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Also read this,

http://www.military.com/news/article/government-shutdown-would-halt-vet-burials.html

it talks about burying vets but also goes into who gets paid and when during a shut down.

A government shut down is sort of misleading. less than half actually go home and dont work.

Everyone else goes to work and gets back pay later on.

As for veterans benefits read the last 6 paragraphes of the article I just posted.
  15. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

I heard a news report on the radio today that said if the Government shuts down this weekend, members military may not be paid. They haven't sorted it out yet. PFFT. While those idiots up in DC take their leave and sit in their gated neighborhoods sucking on oysters in a half shell and sweet wine, the people that put them there, keep them there...get to be shot at, yelled at and away from their families for free.
  16. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist

They need to pass a law that if the government shuts down, congress doesn't get paid until they pass a budget and there's no back pay.....
  17. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

That's too easy...
  18. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Don't laugh too hard. One of the surviving Blue Dog Democrats in the House wants to propose a bill that would do just that. He says that if the soldiers are not getting paid, it is not right for Representatives and Senators to be paid because it is their job to handle the budget.

I like the way that man thinks.
  19. CopperniX

CopperniX 34th Infantry Div.

What really pisses me off is them saying non deployed soldiers won't get paid. Yet how much money are the government stooges pulling in.
  20. DannyV

DannyV G&G Newbie

Both NC senators have signed onto a bill to ensure that the military gets paid should a shutdown occur. I say good on them. Once that is taken care of, shut the SOB down.