Something for Scotty and the other Nam vets

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Paul T, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Paul T

Paul T G&G Newbie

Hello fellas, it has been a while since I have posted here and since I really appreciate Scoptty so much I though I would let you see what I am doing for his little museum in the Olde Navy gun shop.

T%his is a model kit Mfg by Trumpeter for all the plastic pilots out there. It is 1/32 scale and quite large. 19 sprues and 416 pieces. Bob said he is going to hang it but after he see this one finished I think he will put in his secret room.

This is the kit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    heres just some of the parts
    [​IMG]
    he is what I hope it looks like when I am done
    Bob has been like the Brother I hjave never had and every time I go to visit his family welcomes me in like a long lost brother.

Attached Files:

2. White Rook

White Rook G&G Enthusiast

That's cool. I used to build models all of the time. I went to buy a couple of tanks to build for my two grandsons and I was shocked at how much they cost now.
  3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Wayyyy Cooooool!
  4. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

Don't be sniffin the glue!
  5. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Wow, the Thud is coming back to life in a model! Paul, it'll have to go in the front area, because I have so many old aviation fellers that come around to the shop. I do appreciate the kind words and the addition to the shop! Those old monsters were the first "Wild Weasels", and really did a number on the NVA radar sites. The pilots who flew them had BIG Brass ones, to go into some of those areas bristling with AAA, machine guns and rockets. And a lot of them didn't make it back, but they did their job and made it safer for the bombers. Those fellers are in my prayers til I'm gone, along with all the rest who didn't make it home. God Bless.
  6. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist

Scotty, you were in a VAQ squadron, right?
  7. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

My favorite was the Phantom...
  8. Paul T

Paul T G&G Newbie

Well I sure hope to do you and your visitors proud Bob. this will be about a month or two build here. I will keep a work in progress pic to this thread so it will not be forgotten.
  9. Paul T

Paul T G&G Newbie

By they way this is the Hun, the thud was an F-105.
  10. Seabeescotty

Well, my memory isn't what it used to be. Huey Rider, I flew with VQ-1 while I was in Nam, and qualified on the EP3B, the EC121, and the EA3B. The Orion was luxurious, the Super Connie was tolerable, and the Skywarrior was pure torture, after we got carrier qualified. The electronics on board had a bad habit of breaking whenever we launched from a carrier, and turned whoever lost his equipment into a passenger on a long uncomfortable flight. But I wouldn't change anything, because it was what I did for the nation, and it was my duty. And yes, the phantom was also one of my favorites, right along with the Corsair, the Skyhawk, and the Vigilante. All were carrier based, and all did their job extremely well!
  11. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I loved those little Skyhawks! They flew around CCNAS all the time! I especially liked the look of the camel back versions.
  12. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

Connies are/were drop dead gorgeous..
  13. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist

Scotty,on active duty (66-70) I was a plane captain on RA5C Vigilante's (RVAH-7). Similar missions as yours at times but mostly photo recon and bda runs. In the Naval Reserves I flew as a flight engineer in P3B's.
  14. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Used to have a good hobby shop here, run by a Marine Reservist, that had monthly model contests. I won the Armor class once with a well-weathered M-24 Chaffee light tank. Used cinnamon powder to replicate some mud - the little tank smelled nice too! ;-)
    Unfortunately the shop closed years ago. The only other similar shop I know of is on the other side of the county - a long drive!
  15. Seabeescotty

The old Connies WERE pretty airplanes, but they flew tail down, in our version, and made lots of guys sick. Even my cast iron stomach went south one time! I loved the Skyhawks, because they were so acrobatic and quick. And the Vigilantes were an awesome sight to see when they launched from the carrier. We had a Skyhawk with bad radar fly into Cubi Point on our wing, and he did some wild stunts around our A3, things like going inverted right over top of us, and doing loops around our plane, and pulling up in front of us and then going inverted and then rolling out. It was a real air show just for us on the big bird.
  16. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The A4 Skyhawk - aka. "Heineman's Hotrod", after their designer. He designed some darned good airplanes. I loved the Douglas F4D Skyray too! A very under appreciated little fighter.
    In my modelling days, I tried to do a representitive model of each airplane I worked on at Tyndall AFB.
    I had the F-106A Delta Dart, the F-101B Voodoo, and the T-33A T-bird. Took awhile to locate the proper decals for Tyndall during my period, but the aftermarket decal sources came through!
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  17. shop tom

shop tom G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Trumpeter models are very nice, and thh 1/32 scale will be impressive.

Good model shops are few and between, none near where I live. I buy most on-line, I have more paint and models than any shop within 100 miles. My problem is I can rarely decide on which one to build, then when I do, my son steals it for himself.

tom
  18. Paul T

Paul T G&G Newbie

I really love all the responce freom all you guys. Right now I am awaiting some pe for the pit on the hun and maybe Ill get the snoot conversion also, mkes for a more realistic build. When I was at bobs last we talked nothing but Navy and big guns and planes. What a good time we had. I think of him as my big brother, He really isnt as old as he looks. Must be all the gunsmithing.

AS for the modelers PM me and lets get some yacking about mdels going, that will be fun. As for scotty now I have to get an F-4J Maybe a good ole Navy bird...
  19. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Been a long while since I did airplane models. I built the complete Twelve O'Clock High series of fighters, all the 1/48 WWII fighters, and all the 1/72 bombers. But my real passion, quelle suprise, was for ships. A model of the USS Olympia that I built is still on display at the Academy library, because the Zoo has a connection to her. A Passed Cadet from our first graduating class was on the wheel when the famous order, "You may fire when ready, Gridley," was given.
  20. ALR

ALR ][][][% Forum Contributor

When I was in NKP Thailand, between trips to NAM, There were JollyGreen Rescues supported by A1E Skyraiders during pickups.
    At 0dark30 the Skyraiders would 'runup' at the ramp end of the runway.
    Many a time I watched these fully armed Skyraiders runup and watched the St Elmo's fire dance on the prop tips and work its way back across the cowling, canopy, down the fuselage and up the verticle stabilizer.
    Gave me chills then and still now.
    My wife, then fiance, worked at Mc Donnell Douglas in the assembly plant office area and walked by the Phantoms being built every day. Even saw the wounded birds brought back for rebuilds. The F4s are my all time favorites.

Attached Files: