Son Learns Valuable lesson... at my expense

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by srt 10 jimbo, Oct 2, 2011.

1. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Was out at the Ranch this Morning shooting with my Son and Brother. My son Pulls my Mak 90 out and starts shooting at the spinner targets I put out. I'm standing off to his left about 5 feet and he decides to shoot a fire ant hill in front of him with the AK ,before I even saw what he was doing. Apiece of shrapnel flys up and lodges in my Hand. after doing the Irish War dance and calling him every name in the book I asked him what the Hell was he Thinking? a Bullet traveling over 2,500 feet per second hits a rock under ground It's gonna fragment and pieces are gonna fly every where. But he's 19 and knows everything so this already went through his head right? I go to the emergency room, they take pictures and there it was on the Xray , Lodged in my hand butted up to a nerve in a ligament . Emergency room Docs wont touch it so the called in a a Orthopedic Surgical Doc but they cant get a hold of him (Sunday, must be on the Golf Coarse). so they wrap it up wrap my hand up and put a splint on it so I look like Hellboy, and make me an appointment for Surgery tomorrow afternoon. I told my Son the only time I was Gonna Shoot with him now is at a range with a Range officer standing behind him at all times from now on. Other then that my weekend has been just fine.
  2. MosinMan

MosinMan G&G Enthusiast

Instead of worrying about shooting with him at the range with a range officer behind him, you should be the one to teach him the do's and don'ts, and right from wrong with a firearm.

Hope your hand heals up soon.
  3. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

That hurt just reading it! I hope they get it out with no problems. I'm sure your son learned a lesson. Maybe you should suggest he pays the medical bills to make it a more valuable lesson for him?
  4. srt 10 jimbo

I've told him , never point the gun anywhere besides down range at least 500 times since he had his first gun 6 years ago. He's passed his Hunter safety course, Has A Hunting License is a Great shot with a rifle and pistol. must of had a Brain Fart.
  5. MosinMan

MosinMan G&G Enthusiast

It happens. Seen plenty of grown men who should know better pick up firearms and do stuff even dumber.
  6. Erickson

Erickson G&G Enthusiast

I would love to say it is just teenagers/young adults who are biologically programmed (A proven fact) to make bad decisions until about 25 when your brain fully matures...the more i see about the world the more i am convinced that...its humans in general that are just more or less biologically programmed to make bad decisions. ;)

Hope your hand heals up and your son learned his lesson.
  7. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

My wife frequently suggests the same age for maturity beginning.
  8. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

wild, is it lead or copper stuck in you, or do you not know yet?
  9. srt 10 jimbo

Brown Bear, Steel Jacketed i think
  10. MosinMan

MosinMan G&G Enthusiast

Brownbear is copper jacketed, but the cases are steel and lacquer coated.
  11. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Hope everyhting turns out ok. I'm sure your son don't feel too great about it either.
  12. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Just because I'm a gross rascal, how about some Hand Injury Pics?? :D
  13. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

I'd take him (your son) to the woodshed and use a Willow Wand on his behind to the point he can't sit on it.
  14. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

People do stupid things with guns sometimes.

I recall a case just after I joined my gun club when a senior member, a guy who had been shooting for sixty years, loaded a Hawken muzzleloading rifle he was zeroing for hunting season out of sequence -- instead of putting the percussion cap on the nipple last, he put it on first. He was tamping down the charge and the bullet and somehow managed to trigger the rifle. The ramrod ripped the hell out of his hand on its way through the roof and miraculously the bullet didn't touch him, but instead just punched a hole in the roof at the firing line. A member who is a cop who was practicing on the range at the time called for the ambulance and stopped the bleeding. If the senor member had been alone, he might have bled to death before help arrived.

When he got out of therapy he was called before the Board of Directors, who ripped him a new one and made him go through the club's orientation and firearms safety course again -- at his age! He was mortified, but didn't argue that he deserved what he got. I think he felt he was lucky not to have had his range privileges revoked!
  15. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I would venture a guess that you nor anyone else will ever have to tell him that again as long as he lives. Some lessons defy actually being taught till something of this magnitude happens. Besides, who among us hasn't had those unexplainable lapses of judgement at the most inopportune times when driving or any number of other tasks that should command our full attention, yet somehow don't?
  16. Alan Duke

Alan Duke G&G Enthusiast

I think I would rather be in your shoes at the moment...... My body will heal. And with this economy, getting laid off Friday hit me hard too.

Just remember Jim, age has no matter in the brain fart department. I'm teaching Alan Jr. the best I can, but sometimes its his daddy (me)that screws up and he catches it (thats embarassing). We were all that age once and some of us can't believe we are even still above ground from the STUIPED crap we have done in the past. I pray it heals well and that the lesson......although hard taught ...... sinks in.
  17. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I hope everything comes out okay, tomorrow. I'm trying to think back to when my son was nineteen, but he already had two years in the Corp under his belt. I can't remember a time I ever had to tell him to think about safety, but do remember a few times he talked to me! I'm sure your son is sorry about the accident, and will remember it for years to come, so I'd try to get through this with as little animosity as possible. The father-son bond is one to cherish, so after all is said and done, get back to it quick as you can. Brain farts happen to the best of us!
  18. srt 10 jimbo

Errr, He's 6' 3" 290lbs. Can ya Hold him down for me please?
  19. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

At nineteen, I don't think that would be a good idea, especially being as big as he is! LOL! Besides, he's considered an adult now, in the eyes of the gummint, and it could be viewed as assault! No, I believe a conversation about thinking before doing, and safety would be the way to go! It might be a good refresher for you, too!
  20. srt 10 jimbo

He feels really bad, He's even talking about getting rid of his guns. Just told him he needs to think before he shoots. ya cant take getting shot back. my Brother called and said they are filling out a Police report, now my Son thinks they are gonna arrest him.