sp101 327 magnum

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by PONTIACDM, Mar 24, 2008.

1. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

I just seen on the front of my magazine a new SP101 chambered in a new caliber 327 magnum. It is supposed to be more knock down power than a .38 special and have less recoil than a 357 magnum. It also holds one more round in the cylinder than the 357. What is your first thoughts on this? Do you think it is the new .40 for the revolver or do you think it will be in and out like a lot of other cartridges. I personally at first glance like the idea and am going to give it a chance.:feedback:
  2. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

Petite little pistol, very high velocity from a short barrel, low recoil and muzzle flash, it appears to be a neat little cartridge. How good of a defense round? Dunno, but it looks like it would do OK. I wouldn't feel sorry for myself if I had one in my hand. Out of a longer barrel it would make a terrific varmint cartrdge.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  3. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Way back when, a guy took a Blackhawk and made custom 32-20 conversions. He had a 10 or so inch bbl on it. I imagine the same could be done with a 327. fact of the matter is if it sells well, they would most likely produce a factory model.
  4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Risk factor

The history of firearms is paved with good cartridge ideas that just did not make in the marketplace.

This is another good idea for which the public may or may not decide to purchase in the quantity to keep it in production.

One problem any new cartridge faces is finding a place in what I feel
    is a market already flooded with old and new offerings. So, it will be interesting to see what happens to this cartridge, the new Ruger
    375, the short magnums, the .500 Smith and Wesson, the
    6.5 and 6.8 rifle cartridges, and so on.

Obviously, some people with cartridges new over, lets say, the last three years will find themselves with good guns and really pricey ammo before the next three years pass.
  5. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I think it's been out for a little while now, in fact introduced in Nov. or Dec. of '07. I think it's a nice little plinker personally. I'd like to try one out and see anyhow. Not a bad price on it if I remember correctly. Ammo, not so sure. Not a round everyone makes yet, think only Federal so far? Could be wrong? Here's some links for anyone interested. It is small. Might not fit in a big hand very well, if at all. Good wife gun maybe?

Ruger SP101Double ActionRevolver (KSP-32731X) Overview

.327 Federal Magnum & Ruger SP01
  6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

To me the make or break on this one is going to be whether it zips through with little energy release or has controled expansion to release the high energy it is rated at.To have an energy rating near equal to a .357 and a bullet that zips through without releasing energy in the target wouldnt be much different than fmj,s in a .357.They are using golddot 115gr bullets at 1308fps and 431ft lbs and have a picture of good expansion,so it looks good,but I think.The accuracy doesnt impress me and must not have impressed them as they didnt give accuracy on the cartridges they are comparing it to.I think this would be a 'wait and see'deal. sam.
  7. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    well ive got an sp101 and my thoughts are
    why would i buy a gun that fires a round that i dont know will even be here in a few years when ive already got one that fires TWO proven rounds?
  8. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Your choice. The good thing about the round is 6 in the SP-101. My carry snubbies carry 5; Own SP-101 and it's a great brute-strong gun. But I don't know if it'll last. Close enough to the .357 from a snubbie, but it's not a .44 :). Charter still makes the .44 bulldog w/5 .44 special shots.