Spanish La Coruna M43

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by sean46953, Jun 13, 2007.

1. sean46953

sean46953 G&G Regular

I've got a Spanish M43 Mauser made by La Coruna in 1950. It's in PERFECT condition! There's no import markings, and it has the Spanish crest on top of the receiver. I'm just looking for any information that any one may have about these rifles. If anyone knows about what they sell for that would be nice to know too, I keep hearing so many different price ranges. I think that may be cause by the fact they have a rather dry market. Thanks!
    Sean M. Hartman
  2. BIGJOHN-1

BIGJOHN-1 G&G Newbie

I HAVE A Fr-8 THAT HAVE THE DATE AND MARKINGS LIKE THAT ALSO NO IMPORT MARKS
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  3. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The FR8 was built from the original M43, so that is understandable. Both are good rifles.
    I have the "M44" (as many collectors call it), the Spanish Airforce issued M43. It has a different front sight and a few other details different than the regular Army M43. Oddly, my M44 and FR8 both have turned-down bolt handles - this was normally done on the Spanish sniper rifles, but mine don't have the sniper scope bases.
    Some folks wrongly accuse these rifles of being made of inferior steel, but that is a myth - they are as strong and robust as any M98-type Mausers.
    Import markings weren't used til somewhat later - so many of these Spanish Mausers won't have any.
    Pricing is difficult - they aren't seen often enough. At one time, a bunch were imported, but that was back in the seventies. Now, expect to pay around $250 to $300 for a nice example.
    I bought my M44 in 1976 at K-Mart (!) for $47. Sadly, it had it's stock cut-down to make a Bubbafied 'Deer rifle'. Currently it is wearing a shortened Brazilian M1908 stock - at least it looks 'military' now.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  4. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

In 1943 Spain adopted the the Mauser 98 rifle as standard for its military. Designated the M43, this rifle was essentially the famous German K98k cham- bored for the 7.92x57mm (8mm Mauser) cartridge. Like all such rifles the M43 has the large ring 98-type action and is considered extremely durable. Found with Google Search.
  5. mr. breeze

mr. breeze G&G Newbie

I have a Mauser which is stamped on the front receiver ring "Fabrica De Armas La Coruna 1954". Under the barrel it's stamped "M44 Spain 7.92 mm". The bolt is straight and it has two sets of sling swivels, one set underneath the buttstock and barrel and one set on the side of the barrel and buttstock. The numbers on the receiver and bolt do not match, but from what I hear that's typical. The bore is a bit frosty, again I hear that's typical. I paid 60 bucks for it a couple of weeks ago at a pawn shop.

Sooo, do I have a Spanish Air Force Mauser? And is it worth what I paid?
  6. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Yes, that is the Airforce Model. The front sight should have heavy steel 'ears' to protect it. The crest on top of the receiver ring would be the stylized eagle of the Spanish Airforce, kindof a rectangular stamping vaguely resembling the Nazi eagle. Mine was ground off, unfortunately.

You made an excellent find!

If you ever need action parts, those of the Kar98k fit well, as it is based on the German rifle.
  7. mr. breeze

mr. breeze G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info Big Dog.
    Like the old saying goes "even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then". I don't know what to make of the front sight since the 'ears' are not there. It does however have a crest of an eagle on the front receiver ring. When I bought it my intention was to rebarrel it to 7x57, but now I think I'll leave it as is and shoot cast in it. Thanks again.....
  8. det1jng

det1jng G&G Newbie

Sean, Hello, I also own a M43. The M43 7.9mm short rifles were produced by the spanish government arms factory. As to its worth, will vary, condition and market generally range between $120 to $400 US. Not alot of info available. Thanks J