split cartridge

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by GreyEagle13, Mar 19, 2012.

1. GreyEagle13

GreyEagle13 G&G Newbie

I just recently purchased a 34 hex mosin nagant. After firing it at the range I policed up my brass more out of habit than anything else. Was showing the brass to a friend who has a 7.65/53 mauzer. He noticed that a couple empty shells where cracked near the front where the brass gets smaller. The cartridges are steel with the silver tips. This is the second time I have fired this rifle but never noticed anything before. Should I be worried about this one blowing up in my hands.... I really like the weapon plus I purchased a case 880 rounds of ammo for it.
    Recommendations please....
  2. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 G&G Newbie

It is not uncommon, if the cartridges were reloads. There would be a few that could split if they were reloaded.
  3. GreyEagle13

GreyEagle13 G&G Newbie

Yes, they are reloads from 1972.........
  4. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

Sounds almost like an eroded throat. Steel cased ammo isn't reloaded, so it's not that.
  5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 G&G Newbie

There is steel case ammo being reloaded and sold on the market. This should be no great secret. "Being able to separate facts from Internet fiction could become paramount in maintaining an adequate brass supply for shooting."

Mike's spot: reloading steel
  6. GreyEagle13

GreyEagle13 G&G Newbie

It looks like brass, just discolored from use.
    someone told me the casings was steel.....

I know the silver tips are steel bullets... not so sure aout the casings.
    tried to get some pictures so I could post it but my camera is a P O S .....
  7. Ken in Iowa

Ken in Iowa G&G Enthusiast

It sounds like you have copper-washed steel cased ammo. If the neck/shoulder/upper body is 'discolored', the cases were annealed when they were made. (see attachment) Annealing softens the metal making the cases less susceptible to splitting.

Neck and shoulder splits are disconcerting, but not terribly dangerous. If the body splits, that becomes another matter.

Some rifle chambers are 'fatter' than others. If your neck area of the chamber is on the fat side, splits will be more common. Steel cases are also more brittle than brass, so they will be more prone to splitting. This is why most US ammo is brass cased where the comm-bloc uses the cheaper steel cases.

What percentage of cases are splitting on you anyway?

Attached Files:

8. GreyEagle13

GreyEagle13 G&G Newbie

Thanks, The pix looks like my ammo, 2 out of 25 rounds, Didn't check the first 25 so could be 2 of 50..... or maybe not?
  9. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

I wouldn't worry about it then. It's old steel cased ammo so the case is probably pretty brittle by now.
  10. poorboyhere

poorboyhere G&G Newbie

Got an M44 that does the same thing, small splits in a few rounds every now and then. Doesn't seem to be a big deal so far.
  11. Dylandance

Dylandance G&G Newbie

just seeing those beautiful cartridges makes me want to load up my mosin and go shoot it :]
  12. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Don't worry about it too much. Neck\shoulder splits are pretty common with that old ammo and I've even had ammo built in 1989 that had case splits right out of the can. As stated, if you get a case split down the side or around the base, quit shooting immediately and take your gun to a good 'smith to have it checked out.
  13. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

I noticed I had a lot of spilts on 7.62x54r ammo. I check each cart now before I load it on to a stripper.

If the case is cracked on the neck I will shoot it if the bullet is still seated solid. I do not shoot them if the bullet is loose in the case. I just keep those for reloading components in the future.

Because I shoot a lot of old ammo I have also learned not to shoot the cartridges that have dimples in the shoulders due to cracked cases in the past.

I have also had metal failure in the cases in one batch of ammo. This was caused by poorly manufactured cases with an improper metal composition.

The last problem I have encountered was with a Mosin M38 that had an almost invisible piece of copper fused to the chamber wall. It split the carts completely down the side of the case when fired. It blew powder residue back in my face alerting me that something was wrong. The chamber had to be reamed in order to find the piece of copper and remove it.

So as said I check each and every mil surp ammo cartridge before use. Its a small price to pay for being safe.
  14. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

40 year old ammo is subject to doing that. Your next crate from the same arsenal thru the same rifle might not do that at all. I've had it happen with some brass cased Turkish Mauser ammo from the 40s as well. As long as they are just splitting at the neck and not on the body or the case head it probably won' t be a problem.
  15. Dennis

Dennis G&G Enthusiast

buy a broken case extraction tool wear safety glases and GO SHOOT YOUR GUN
    you should be fine. had many many cracked neck cases only one rupture and it wasnt a big deal. If I would have not had safety glasses then yes it could have been. With a few common simple precautions and have a casehead tool in the box, you can handle anything commmon.
    if you had some weird reciever rupture or something like that well ... it could happen I guess anything could happen but these types of incidents are very very rare.
  16. Dark1

Dark1 Suspended

Don't all of you wish your riffles had a gas vent in the bolt like a K98 so when you get a split case the gasses never get near you :).
  17. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

I've had the odd shoulder crack and case split from copper-washed Mosin ammo before. Doesn't seem to affect the operation of the rifle any. Mosin Nagants are like that.
  18. Ken in Iowa

Neck splits and head separations have nothing to do with each other. Why would I want to have a broken shell extractor anyway?
  19. Ken in Iowa

Have you had split case in a K98? Did your face get sprayed? I'm trying to judge how effective the vent holes are...

I had a '98 Krag split and spray my forehead last year. Sure glad I wear glasses.
  20. Dark1

Dark1 Suspended

1950s yugo ammo splits a lot they used lo grade brittle brass, that is why they say only to use either M75snipper ammo or new ammo in semi auto 8mms.
    The vent works great on my 1941 BNZ K98 it all vents down to the left and none of it hits you at all.