Gun and Game Forum banner

Springfield 87a .22

83K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  Flymann13 
#1 ·
I have a Springfield model 87a .22 caliber semi-auto rifle. I've had it for a couple of years now. I bought it for 60 dollars. It's been a fairly nice rifle, It's accurate, and rather reliable. I'm just wondering if any one could give me some information on this rifle, such as history, production dates, quality, and It's value. Thanks.

#2 ·
This basic rifle action has been produced for decades, and in many models.
The Savage Model 6 began the dynasty, with production from 1938 to 1968. They were sold by many different companies, such as Sears, Stevens, and Springfield, and under various 'store brand' names. It all culminated in the Savage-Stevens Model 987, produced from 1981 to 1989.
There was even a military trainer version set-up to resemble the M1 Garand during WWII.

I have the Springfield Model 87A also - great little rifle. It easily outshoots my 2001 model Ruger 10-22 Rifle.

#3 ·
I am getting my PAL shortly and my father has a springfield 87A .22 . He is getting on in years and hasn't fired it in years and really caqn't remember how it operates. I want to use it so I want to be safe in its operation. It doesn't have a bolt it is a knob thet can be pushed in or pulled out . Am I correct in thinking for single shot operation you push in the knob and if you wish to shoot semi auto you pull the knob out? It has semi auto .22 long as a data stamp on the barrel.

#4 ·
Welcome to G&G! :)

Yes, that's a feature about these rifles I really like. Locking the bolt allows a bit better accuracy, IMHO. We don't have the reciprocating mass of the bolt to throw things off. In semi-auto mode, you'll also notice the odd 'click-clack' action - the bolt stays back until you release the trigger. Seems really odd til you get used to it.
You inspired me - I'm going to take mine to the range this morning! Been awhile since I shot it.

#6 ·
The best resource is the "The Gun Digest Book Of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly - Part III: Rimfire Rifles" by J. B. Wood.

Excellent for a wide variety of rimfire rifles. They give those handy little tips that most guides forget.

Numrich/E-gunparts.com also should offer a breakdown drawing.
Basic stripping for cleaning is very easy, but detail disassembly might get tricky.

#7 ·
I picked one of these up yesterday from a co worker....not knowing anything about the gun, but it looked in decent shape. I brought it home and my neighbor showed me some things about it....like the semi-auto, and single shot feature, verified that I had the right ammo for it. I cleaned it last night, barrell only and took it to the range today to test drive it. 14 shots, no jams and my first time shooting a rifle and the groupings were less than 2" for all shots at 30'. I then took it to max distance for my indoor range, maybe 100' and the groupings were no more than 5". Funny thing was, my wife had something to do and I left the house at 3:47, drove to the range, signed in, got a target, fired off 28 rounds, paid and left. Made it home by 4:15. The discharge and feed of the ammo was flawless. I have a big freaking grin.........

Chad

#8 ·
Alright! Another Model 87 convert! We'll need our own forum soon..... :biggthumpup:

And welcome to G&G, Chad! Lots of good knowledge and comradery here on the boards.

#9 ·
Alright! Another Model 87 convert! We'll need our own forum soon..... :biggthumpup:

And welcome to G&G, Chad! Lots of good knowledge and comradery here on the boards.
I like it....Took it to an outdoor state park range today and ran over 200 rounds through it...still no jams. Kinda hard to sight down the irons at 100 yards, but I managed to put about 30 rounds in the target at that range. I ordered a period correct scope for it off of one of those auction sights that is even Springfield labeled. Also got a storage bag for it. When I got back from the range, I took the stock off, and gave it a pretty good cleaning. I will say that it has lots of little parts, but doesn't look too complicated. I will have to look at the parts breakdown to find out if a couple of pins are supposed to come out for further/better cleaning still. Lots of caked up debri and I know there is still some hiding. Next up is to clean up the barrel, sand and restain the stock and replace the missing butt plate.

Thanks for the welcome.....

#10 ·
help with the Springfield 87a

I recently got one of these (it belonged to my grandpa) and shot it today. I was cleaning it and removed the bolt but I cant seem to put the bolt back in. I am inserting it with the three grooves facing down which I think is correct but it stops and wont go any further. Also the rear sight post is bent and I'm wondering how easy it is to replace, I found on online but it looks like its welded on there. Any suggestions?

#11 ·
I had some trouble with this as well, I had to pull the trigger to get it to slide in further. Also the firing pin egages the slots in the hammer, then the longest part of the hammer spring goes to the back. If you have the hammer and spring turned around backwards, you cant get the recoil plug screwed in all the way. The firing pin will fit into the hammer even if the hammer is turned the wrong way, and everything will look correct, but it's not.

#12 ·
For some reason, my model 87a won't go more than a few rounds without jamming. I have cleaned and cleaned it, lightly oiled it and still have problems. Any suggestions from anybody? The ammo is typical .22 round nose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#14 ·
Can't reassemble!

A friend asked me to look at (i.e., fix) is Springfield/Stevens M87A. I am not a gunsmith, by any means, but I have been a gun nut/gun builder-tinkerer for decades.

He said he has never taken it apart -- and from the abundant crud inside the receiver, I believe him. The problem was, on a cold day, he attempted to dispatch a hog in a hog trap, but the rifle would not fire. There was a feeding-from-the-tube-magazine problem. When I got the firearm, it was unloaded.

Schematic from Numrich: Savage, Fox, Springfield & Stevens*|*87A*|*e-GunParts.com

Upon disassembly, I noted that "someone" had twisted a wire around the Breech Bolt Spring Rod, apparently as a replacement for the BB Spring Washer. In addition, the Hammer Spring Washer was badly twisted. I ordered replacement washers and hammer and bolt springs. HOWEVER, I can't figure out how the darn things go together!

Does anyone have a reference for disassembly and reassembly? BTW, it is not one of the firearms covered by Woods' volume. How about a picture from one of you with an intact and functioning rifle? It would be greatly appreciated.

JimF -- a pilgrim still <*{{{><
Waterproof, Louisiana
"Preserve Game -- Use a Trained Dog"

#15 ·
When the trigger is pulled, the firing pin is released and the cartridge is ignited. The bolt and the firing pin/recoil spring then move backwards and are held in place by a plunger. When the trigger is released, the plunger retracts and the bolt cycles a new round into the chamber, but a second plunger holds the firing pin/recoil spring in the rearward position until the trigger is pulled again and the cycle restarts.
I think this is a fascinating operation that alows the rifle to be very simplistic and efficient. My question is: is there a specifc term for this operating system? this is the only rifle i've ever seen that operates like this, and i'm not sure if it was something relegated to the old era of autoloaders or if it is still used in some modern repeaters.

#16 ·
springs?

Thanks for the reply, PRussell. Now, how about a description of the springs? There are two, plus a rod and washer and keeper. One spring easily fits over the rod and the larger spring over this. However, the longer spring does NOT slide over the end of the rod; thus, the effect is that of a single, stronger spring. I must be doing something wrong!

Can you help?

Waterproof, Louisiana
"Preserve Game -- Use a Trained Dog"

#17 ·
PS, here are some pics of my M87A.
Basically, the rod goes into the hammer from the front, and the solid washer retains it on the front of the hammer. Insert the spring into the hammer from behind, and the split washer retains it on the rear.
Sorry the pic of the hammer assembly is fuzzy - my digital camera is a cheapo.

The Hammer Assembly:

The full action detail pic:

#19 ·
Re-assembly successful!

Big Dog,
Reassembly went without difficulty. Many thanks! I had a conversation with my friend, who owns the gun, and he said he purchased it from a pawn shop about a year ago and has shot it very little. He recalls that most of the shots were from the locked breech mode -- this explains why the malfunction was not apparent sooner.
Anyway, the rifle is fixed and we owe you a big "Thank You". I am repeatedly impressed with the willingness of fellow shooters to come to one another's aid.

#20 ·
Thank you to all those who tried to help when I had a question about a Springfield 87a. I had just recently stripped the bolt, took both extractors out and cleaned, plungers and springs as well. I took the right extractor out and the rounds chambered ok, but would not extract. I put it in, and the rounds would hang up. For some reason, I thought the right and left extractors looked "not right" and rather crude compared to the rest of the gun. There was some play around the extractors in the bolt body. I went to the Mansfield gun show and looked at one on the table. The extractors were totally different. They actually fit in the gun! I will be getting new ones from Numrich Arms this week. Someone put some back-alley extractors in the gun, no wonder it didn't work right. I hope to say that the Springfield 87a is a reliable gun soon. Whoever did that should be dipped in Gravy Train and fed to a crazed pack of poodles.

#21 ·
Updates

I just figured I would add an update. I did have a jamming problem my last trip to the range in fact it was so bad that I couldn't even chamber a round. Today on another trip to the range I found the problem. It was the Cartridge Guide Spring, it had broken and slipped in a little and blocked the the round from chambering. I jerry rigged it up for the day and ordered the new part from e-gunparts today(at a way to high $17 with S&H). So anybody who can't even chamber a round try check that.

#22 ·
help

can you tell me if you know for sure it is a 15 round mag tube? do you have the owners manule. i have a problem with the jam and i have bought new tube mag all new springs and pins washers new lifter.it shoots great for the first fifteen rounds then jam city??? so new cartridge guid spring and again the same thing. the shells go past the spring. then i find after the jam spring are slightly bent. six springs in one month. i am lost unless 15 rounds are wrong and it should be 10 like the clip modle??? is 15 too much presure???

#23 ·
my grandpa

the springfield 87a has alot of memories attached to it for me. It's my grandpas rifle that he taught me to shoot with, and he's getting on in years and hasn't really taken care of it any more. I picked it up to look at the other day, and it's missing the right side extractor. I took it outside and fed a round through it, not firing, just load and eject, and of course, it doesn't eject properly without the part. Where can i get a new right side extractor for the rifle?

#26 ·
the answer

the springfield 87a has alot of memories attached to it for me. It's my grandpas rifle that he taught me to shoot with, and he's getting on in years and hasn't really taken care of it any more. I picked it up to look at the other day, and it's missing the right side extractor. I took it outside and fed a round through it, not firing, just load and eject, and of course, it doesn't eject properly without the part. Where can i get a new right side extractor for the rifle?
Savage, Fox, Springfield & Stevens*|*87A*|*e-GunParts.com
i rebuilt two and they have all the parts you will need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.