springfield/stevens model 56

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by squirrelblaster, Mar 10, 2009.

1. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

what do you guys know about this gun? there is one at a local pawn shop for $45, it is missing its rear peep sight and id say that the finnish is at best 65%. were these good guns in there day? can parts be found? and can anyone tell me what the original stock looked like? i dont htink the one on it is the orriginal but i could be wrong...anyways for so little money im thinkin this would be a good project gun. or a good gun to throw in the back of the truck for shootin tree rats or whatever.
    any info like when they started and stoped making them would be cool. and general opinions are great too!
  2. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

These were made from 1935-48. 24" BBL. 5 shot box magazine. The original stock is walnut and should have a black forend tip. nice little gun and quite accurate.
    I would pick it up for that price, in good condition it's worth around $125 or so.
    Check here for parts:

Welcome to Numrich Gun Parts Corp.
    GunBroker.com Online Gun Auction
  3. squirrelblaster

ok, well i bought the gun about an hour ago, the finnish is acualy better than i had remembered from the first time i looked at it. i got it for $45 and he threw in half a brick of ammo so im happy. this is going to be a fun project gun, the wierd thing is that whoever owned it before me made these strange nickle sized divits it the stock, it loooks like maybe he burned them in, ill try and post pictures, im not sure why someone would do it. also its missing its rear peep sight....anyone know if i can just replace it with any peep sight i find or does it have to be spacific to this gun?
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  4. squirrelblaster

bump...yeah i did it.... so what!
  5. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

the stevens model 055,56,066 and afew other models use the same rear peep, as for another one that will fit you will have to see about that one I'm not to sure about it. should make a great project gun and an all around truck gun. $45 and a brick!! that's a deal for sure!!
  6. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

Good deal indeed. I have a Stevens Buckhorn and love it...