Gun and Game Forum banner

Springfield XDS Recall

9K views 77 replies 17 participants last post by  jedwil 
#1 ·
Has anyone participated in the XDS recall yet?

I just signed up last night, and it seems simple enough but I gotta find a box to ship it back with the prepaid label that was made by FedEX for me...

also not sure if Kinko/FedEx will ship handguns...

The rumors are the turn around time is fairly quick at the moment.

#2 ·
Yes, signed on day one. Printed the label, took the label and gun to pack and ship, purchased a small box and some bubble wrap, took them to my car, taped up the box, added the label and went back in and handed the box to the clerk. The whole adventure took about 10 minutes. Gun was received by Springfield 2 business days later. FedEx will ship with the preprinted label. Kinko's can take it, it is not considered hazardous material (they will not take ammo for example).

Springfield web site says 30 day turnaround, for me that's Thursday this week, so we'll see what happens.

#3 ·
In my opinion their label clearly identifies where it is going.
Nowadays I would just send it out with them.
W/o letting the clerk know it is a firearm.
By doing it this way, it is less likely for it to come up missing.

#8 ·
Here's what was in my email box

XD-S™ Recall Update 10/04/2013
Dear Springfield Customer,
We understand that our voluntary safety recall has made it inconvenient for you to be without your pistol, and we sincerely apologize for that.
Once your pistol has been upgraded and is shipped back to you, an e-mail confirmation with tracking information will be sent to you at the e-mail address you provided.
If you still have further questions please click the link below to view the FAQ for the XD-S™ recall. If this document doesn't address your question, please call 800-680-6866 or send your question to recall@springfield-armory.com
To receive updates by text message, text XDS to 25827
Why it's taking so long:
We pledge to you that we are working as fast as we can, and have greatly increased our staff and number of shifts to ensure that we are leveraging every hour in the day.

We understand that our decision to announce a voluntary safety recall without a final solution in place has caused confusion and frustration. We sincerely apologize for that inconvenience. However, your safety is, and always has been, our paramount concern. And that is why we decided to issue the voluntary safety recall before we had a guaranteed upgrade solution in place.

Our decision not to wait was based on putting you, our customer, first. Some companies build in several weeks of lead time before announcing their recalls. But, we didn't feel that was the most responsible approach in this case since our priority is your safety.

Please know that we are committed to resolving this matter as quickly as possible and we are committed to ensuring that you will be very pleased with your upgraded 3.3 XD-S™. As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed.
I shot mine the other day, it wasn't a problem, actually the most accurate I've ever shot it, then I heard about the recall, and sad about reading all this.

#10 ·
so whats wrong with them?
This is what they say on the website.

"Springfield has determined that under exceptionally rare circumstances, some 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and .45ACP caliber pistols could experience an unintended discharge during the loading process when the slide is released, or could experience a double-fire when the trigger is pulled once. The chance of these conditions existing is exceptionally rare, but if they happen, serious injury or death could occur."

I never thought they felt overly good and I hate grip safeties, so thankfully I won't have to go through this.

#11 ·
I believe I have experienced this, as I was getting use to this gun, and I shot each round and would see how I faired with the target. My grip loosened after a shot, and I swear it about broke my wrist as I gripped it with what I believe to be a double tap I did not intend.

After that I haven't shot it until this past weekend with some professional instructors, and lighter load ammo from our friends at Federal.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Came accross this info

Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

This Springfield XD-S™ Recall FAQ will be updated every Friday through the recall process. Please check back for updates.

Thank you for the positive response to our voluntary safety recall and to our most recent update. We exercised extreme caution by issuing this recall and we did so because safety is, and always has been, our paramount concern. We truly appreciate the enormous support, patience and loyalty of our customers and we remain committed to resolving this matter quickly and ensuring that you are pleased with your upgraded 3.3 XD-S™.

As we noted in last Friday's update, our testing of potential upgrade solutions has continued and we are pleased to tell you that we have made significant progress over the last seven days. We have now identified what we believe is our final upgrade solution and throughout this coming week we will be continuing with our thorough and exhaustive testing of that solution. It's because of our commitment to your safety that we are conducting such extensive testing and we are working as fast as we can so that we can return your upgraded pistol to you.

We understand that our voluntary safety recall has made it inconvenient for you to be without your pistol, and we sincerely apologize for that. We expect to have more definitive information to share with you by Friday, October 11.

As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed.

Attachments

#16 ·
I sent mine in as all of you did. I got an email notification today saying they have found a solution they are satisfied with and have parts ordered for the upgrades. They will be making the upgrades and returning the pistols in the order they were received. They apologized for the inconvenience and will be enclosing an extended magazine with sleeve to show their appreciation. I was thrilled, I have already purchased 1 extended mag and was planning on purchasing another. And to think I was thinking it would be nice if they sent a T-shirt or ball cap. I will be happy with the mag instead. I would say that is some pretty good customer service.

#17 · (Edited)
Whoa! I didn't get that note. I got this one without anything about the extra mag - which I have also purchased, but another one would be fantastic.

XD-S™ Recall Update 10/11/2013

Dear Springfield Customer,

We are pleased to announce that our testing was successful and is complete.
We will receive our first shipment of upgrade parts early next week and will begin shipping upgraded XD-S™ pistols back to our customers the week of October 21 on a first-received/first-upgraded basis.

Once your pistol has been upgraded and is shipped back to you, an e-mail confirmation with tracking information will be sent to you at the e-mail address you provided.
For additional update information please click the link below to view the FAQ for the XD-S™ recall. If this document doesn't address your question, please call 800-680-6866 or send your question to recall@springfield-armory.com

Unless I'm missing something, I see no note about getting an extra mag for the trouble. :(

#19 ·
I want the extended mag!
The extended mag is quite nice for range shooting....but ruins the purpose of the tiny gun, which is easy deep concealment.

I would still recommend one of the extended mags for plinking though, makes the .45 a lil nicer to shoot.

My pinky hangs off the XDs, and my ring finger is barely on....the extra room is well worth the money if I want to shoot it more then half a box or so.

#20 ·
Hopefully this link will work. I signed up for text alerts also, when they send a text alert it has a link to a website that you click on. If this link don't work, go to Springfield Armory ReCall Registration, then look for the Red Horizontal Bar near the top of the page, on the right hand side of the red bar is a link Updates (Updated 10/11/2013) and that will take you to the page where it says it. I hope one of these will take you there. I promise its there, Im not crazy.LoL

RecallUpdate

#21 · (Edited)
Found it!

XD-S™ Voluntary Safety Recall Update Status
Updated 10/11/2013
This information applies only to XD-S™ pistols in the serial number ranges below

Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

We are pleased to announce that our testing was successful and is complete.

We will receive our first shipment of upgrade parts early next week and will begin shipping upgraded XD-S™ pistols back to our customers the week of October 21 on a first-received/first-upgraded basis.

To ensure our customers are continuously informed of our progress, we will provide website updates every Friday until all of the pistols are back in the hands of their owners.

We are confident that you will be extremely pleased with your upgraded XD-S™ pistol and we wish to express our deep gratitude to all our valued customers who have demonstrated such patience, support and loyalty to Springfield Armory®. As a small token of our thanks, we will be enclosing an XD-S™ extended magazine with X-tension sleeve with each pistol we return.

Please click the FAQ link in the red bar on top of this page to view our updated FAQ for more information about the final upgrade solution, and thank you again for your support.

This Springfield XD-S™ Recall Update will be updated every Friday through the recall process. Please check back for updates.

As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed.

To receive updates by text message, text XDS to 25827

I wonder if I should print that out to make sure I get one? Those little puppies cost $40 when I bought mine.

#23 ·
When I was looking for mine, the only place they were in stock was the manufacturers website. I figured it would be quite a while before Midway et. al. would get them back in since the stores were having trouble keeping the guns in stock.

#24 ·
Oh yea, I almost paid the $40 and bought one from the Springfield, but then I saw them at Midway and they were $32.99 and out of stock so I kept checking back everytime I was on the interweb, and one day there they were In Stock so I ordered one. I'm kinda cheap, or at least that's what my friends tell me...LoL So I was thrilled to find out I was getting the second one I was wanting anyway for free!!!

Posted "Somewhere" From Gun & Game Mobile!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.