Star 9mm trash or treasure

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Sooner Shooter, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Sooner Shooter

Sooner Shooter G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

This STAR is my first 9 and I picked it up used for $200 a couple of years ago. I haven't shot many others so I don't know how to compare it. I'm not very good with it but then again I'm not very good with any handgun bigger than a 22. It fires and ejects fine with factory ammo. I know it was made and used in Spain and I believe as a police or military weapon so surely it can't be entirely bad but tell me your experiences. I don't care if you bash it or not. The pistol is a Star BM model. Bashing is okay but calling it the Bowel Movement model would just be cruel so I beat you to it. Let me know!
  2. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Lol, never had one of that model but I did have a Firestar in .45 cal. I shot a lot of rounds through with never any problems, and the accuracy was good.
  3. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

There is nothing wrong with Star pistols. I love my Modelo Super (9mm Largo). :)
  4. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

Star B

I love my Star B's. I have quite a few of them actually, and carry one pretty regularly. When I want to go slimmer then a 1911, thats what I grab. It has been 100% reliable, and I have found it to be more then accurate enough for "plinking".

I haven't bought one in years, so not sure what to say about the purchase price. Overall though, I have found them to be a fine 9mm.
  5. rick343

rick343 G&G Newbie

I have a Star 9mm Largo and I love it. I had a tough time finding ammo for it but have some now. I got mine and a Norenco 45 auto for $300. The Star looks brand new. Good luck with yours.

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

I love the star pistols. I had the model bm, b, and the 45(1911 copy). All were really accurate and reliable. The only problem I had was with the bm. It didn't like weak loads, hot loads worked awesome. I wish I still had them.
  7. stitchclimber

stitchclimber G&G Newbie

My dad owned one of their .45's for years. Had very few problems with it.
  8. Don357

Don357 G&G Regular

I had a Star Firestar Plus 9mm, in the Starvel finish. The second biggest mistake I've ever made was to sell it.:sad2::34: It was a good shooter. It had a 10rd mag, but was designed for a 13rd. It would also accept the barrel and slide assy of the .40S&W Firestar. Really a cool gun. Great CCW and extremely accurate for a 3" barrel.:werd:
  9. Doctor Larry K

Doctor Larry K G&G Newbie

I have a Star 43 in 9mm and it has a broken firing pin. I can't find a replacement firing pin for this pistol, and neither can my gunsmith. I have done several searches with negative results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Doc
  10. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

Star made a delightfully trim single column magazine 9mm, all steel, heavier than it looked. I think that describes the Star BM you have, right? Or is it a lighter alloy frame? In either case, you have a keeper, Star made some good pistols, their Star PD, a compact .45 was much sought after when they came out.
  11. Sooner Shooter

Yes, heavier than it looked. That's why I bought it. Inexpensive, and a good solid feel. Glad to hear you guys have had good luck with them. I'm sure in time I'll fall for those thick handled, expensive polymer ones but for now I'll learn how to shoot this one.
  12. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

13. Sooner Shooter

14. Don357

Don357 G&G Regular

Try "Bob's Gun Parts", Sarco also has a limited inventory.
    Also go to the Star website, I believe that they said that there is still parts available through them.
  15. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

16. Don357

Don357 G&G Regular

I did a little research. Try this for your Star parts needs. Go to iparguns@iparguns.com , This company bought all of Stars leftover inventory when Star went out of business, and they do ship internationally! Of course barrels and recievers may be a different story. BTW, they also bought Astra inventory. I hope this helps. Bobs has parts for the "Firestar 'Old Model'". I looked at the diagram and the "Old Model' looks to be the same as the M-43. Also, M-243 slide parts will work. I believe the slides are the same, only the frames are different. I had a M-243. What a great gun! Parts ie, barrel and slide, from the M240 (.40S&W cal) will interchange with the M-243 (9mm Luger), but not the M-43 as the magazine is thicker to accomodate the .40S&W round. However the firing pin "may" be the same.
  17. LEE3370

LEE3370 G&G Newbie

Howdy Doc,
    You might give these folks a try for the firing pin.

Hoosier Gun Works : Online Catalog : Gun Parts : Commercial

Good Luck,
    Lee
  18. spurrit

spurrit Suspended

Total piece of crap. Send it here.
  19. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

I owned a Star Model 30M, should have never sold it...oddly, I found 2 spare magazines and a Mil-Spec mag holster in my closet...forgot I had them...lol

Many Stars were carried by Spanish Police officers...they are VERY reliable pistols. I put around 1000-1500 rounds thru mine. As long as you cleaned it regularly there were no headaches.
  20. Starburst

Starburst G&G Newbie

Star 9mm magazine

Anybody know a good source for a 8 shot magazine for a Star 9mm Model BM?