Star Model P. or Norinco Tokarev

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by shop tom, Nov 13, 2011.

1. shop tom

shop tom G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I stopped at a LGS that had a Star model P in .45 ACP and an Norinco-made Tokarev in 7.62x25. I'm kinda interested in both, but more in the Star. Both seem to be in about the same shape. The Tokarev is larger and heavier, the Star fits my hand well. The cost is 189 bucks for the Star and 229 bucks for the Toke.

Any one have experience with either?

tom
  2. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I have a Romanian Tok, That 7.62x25 is one nasty little round
  3. SD shooter

SD shooter G&G Regular

I have a Norinco in 9MM. I've had no problems and it eats what ever I feed it. Some have problems with anything other than ball. Right now the 7.62 is cheap surplus, but a little harder to find modern ammo.
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The Tokarev has been called "The Russian M1911." There is some justice to that. The controls are similar to the M1911, but the recoil spring is a captive spring and the trigger group removes and replaces as a unit. I find it easier to disassemble that a US GI .45. The 7.62x35 cartridge is cheap as chips right now and in its day was the only cartridge as fast or deep-penetrating as the .357 Magnum.

The Star pistols are reliable M1911 clones. It may be easier to find additional magazines for them than for the Norincos, because they were not banned by executive order as the Norincos were.

Spare parts for both are not as easy to find as might be. I am not sure if the 7.62x25 Chinese Tok is 100% parts compatible with the European-made pistols. And Star has been out of business since 1997, so what spares are out there (I think Interarms imported the Star pistols and parts) are drying up.

If it were me, I'd get the Norinco rather than the Star Model P.
  5. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Regular

Star

I'd suck that P Model Star right up, if I were you. Aftermarket mags are available; I bought one from SARCO a few years ago. Stars are excellent pistols.

Where at in South Dakota? A pal of mine is looking for a P Star.
  6. shop tom

The only thing really holding me up on the Star is the fact that it is an alloy frame and I have no idea of how many rounds have gone through it. I do like the way it looks and feels compared to the Tokarev, but that seems to be in better shape, now that I think of it more. I'll have to go look again (dangerous 'cause I'll probably find something else to buy).

I'm in Michigan, not South Dakota.

tom
  7. Bookman

Bookman G&G Enthusiast

I've owned both a Star .45 (mine was a Star PD) and a Tokarev. I would take the Star over the Tokarev without a second thought.
  8. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Regular

Oopps!! My bad, Tom. But think about trying to buy a box of Tokarev ammo over trying to buy a box of .45 ACP. That should answer your question over which to purchase.
  9. shop tom

Bad News

Boy, I don't know what to think. The LGS proprietor is holding both guns for me and will let me shoot each to help me decide. PLUS, he's got a 6.5 Carcano that he's going to let me check out and give me a GOOD deal if I want it (comes with a couple of boxes of shells and reloading dies). PLUS he takes credit cards.........

Could be trouble.

tom
  10. shop tom

Change of plans, or how I ended up gettin 2 guns......

So I went to check out and maybe purchase the Model 54 or the Star PD.

Shot them both, did well with the Chinese Tokarev, the Star not so good. The proprietor said that the Star needed work, wouldn't eject fired rounds, said his gunsmith could fix it. But, since it's an alloy-framed gun that's seen lots use, we both agreed that it would not do for something I would want to shoot a lot. So I opted for the Norinco Model 54. I do like it, it's accurate.....

So I left with the Toke, 60 rounds for it, 200 180 .311 Sierra spitzer bullets for my Mosins, some 6.5x52 Carano dies, 2 boxes 6.5 ammo (Norma and some re-loads) and en-bloc clips,

And a bubba'd but useful 6.5 Carcano carbine.

Fun at lunch.

tom
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  11. FS00008

FS00008 Сергей Иванович Мосин. Forum Contributor

Glad you went with teh Tok. Much better pistol IMHO and you can actually get parts for them.

BTW, Sarco Inc. has 9MM Barrels and Bushings that are drop-in for that. You can even use the mags you have. IIRC they're around $35 for the bbl, and $15 for the bushing, plus shipping.

Edited To Add: http://www.sarcoinc.com/tokp.html

TOKP034 - 9MM Barrel ($39.95 instead of $35, tehy went up in price a bit)
    TOKP037 - Barrel Bushing 9MM ($16.50 instead of $15, also went up in price a little bit).
  12. Bookman

Bookman G&G Enthusiast

I hope you enjoy your Tokarev. It's a good solid gun. You might want to look into getting one of those slip-on rubber grip sleeves that Pachmayr makes. They come in different sizes are don't cost much. The Tokarev I fired was equipped with one and it made shooting a lot easier.
  13. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

First I've ever heard of a Star Aluminium frame giving any trouble...they are a bit over-manufactured for Spanish police use and tend to last forever...
    The extractor/ejector needing replacement is normal for a high-round gun.
    The plastic Buffer tends to need replacing about every 5000 rounds, as it is what keeps the buffetting on the frame to a managable level ;)
    Much like a Marlin 60, the buffer will disingergrate with age/wear...so cleaning regularly is KEY. Treat it like an AR-15...field strip after every range visit.

You might be able to get the price down on the Star if you go back in a few weeks ;)
  14. shop tom

Well, I DID pick up that nasty Carcano in the deal. In a few days it will be a HECK of a lot nicer that how I got it.

Trading material, don'tcha know..........

tom