Stevens 520- Anybody Got One?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Txhillbilly, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Regular

I just won one on Gunbroker, a 12ga that looks to be in great shape, it's the Takedown model. Does anyone have one? How do you like it , How easy does it takedown?
  2. tippmann7

tippmann7 G&G Newbie

have no clue but congrads on the new gun
  3. rebel727

rebel727 G&G Enthusiast

I've got two of them an early one and a late one. Pretty good guns built on John M. Brownings patent from 1904-1932. The early ones had the Browning hump with an extra step and the safety inside the trigger guard. Later ones were flat the full length of the receiver and have a thumb safety on the tang. To take it down take out the screw that holds the front of the mag tube. Take out the spring and unscrew the mag tube then bump the barrel/tube assembly out the bottom. When you unscrew the tube you'll see the V shaped wedges in the plate at the bottom of the tube that hold the whole thing in place disengage. One thing about it is that it has an inertia release on the bolt. If you dry fire it you can't rack the slide until you put forward pressure on the pump. It will work fine with live fire as recoil unlocks the bolt.
    In the pic the one on top is a late model and the bottom is an early model. Stocks have been replaced on both.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Regular

Thanks Rebel, Mine is the late model like the top one in your photo. I was wondering how it broke down,Thx.for the info. Mine has either been a safe queen or has been refinished,the wood and blueing look great in the photos,can't wait to recieve it,and try it out.
  5. rebel727

rebel727 G&G Enthusiast

My guess would be a refinish. Stevens have always been working guns not generally safe queens. Especially guns bought back in the 20's-30's. Not saying it's not just kinda unlikely. If it's pure black like a modern blue job it's a refinish. If it has a blue tint to it it could be original.
    Oh yeah I forgot. The bolt has to be partially unlocked to remove the barrel assembly. It doesn't need to be fully retracted or getting the action bar back in the notch may be a little harder, just far enough to clear the extractors is all you need.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  6. Texan4life

Texan4life G&G Newbie

Hey Txhillbilly, congrats on the new old gun. I see you are from Burleson. I live south of Rendon. It's kinda cool to see people from my area on here. I hope she is a shooter and good luck with her.

T4L
  7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Regular

Hey Rebel my 520 is Original not Refinished

Whoopee, I finally got to speak to the person that I won my 520 from and he assured me that it was the original finish on the gun. I thought it might have been an old refinish,but was I wrong. Now I'm going to have to go buy a camera so I can show off my guns to everyone here. I can't wait for it to get here and see it up close. The funny thing is I was the only one to bid on this gun, I know it is not a highly prized collector,but finding an old working mans gun in great cond. is rare.:banana:
  8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Regular

9. rebel727

rebel727 G&G Enthusiast

Congratulations. I hope you got a good deal on it.
  10. Texan4life

Texan4life G&G Newbie

I only go to Alpine for reloading supplies in between Cabelas trips, or to see what is in the used rack. I got a decent sized piece of land for out here and I do all my shooting here. My backstop is the berm of my old stock tank. If I clean out all the growth, I can shoot to about 100 yds. Give me a pm sometime and maybe we can get together for a cup of coffee or something.

T4L
  11. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

Congrats!! Sounds like a beautiful gun!! Hurry up and get that camera, cuz I wanna see it!!
  12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Regular

Well I finally got my 520

I haven't been able to get home from truckin to pickup my old 520 until today. I tell you what,this gun is built like a tank and still has a very tight action. For a gun like this to be in as good condition,someone really took care of it. The bluing isn't as good as it looked in the sellers pictures but it is still better than I have seen on most guns this old. And it is so neat how this gun comes apart,I don't know anything about this model of gun except for what Rebel and a few others have told me and I took it apart and reassembled it in a few seconds. Here are some pics,tell me what you think about it. TxHB

Attached Files:

13. rebel727

rebel727 G&G Enthusiast

It's a very nice looking gun. The stock has been replaced as most of them have been.
  14. lloydbob1

lloydbob1 G&G Newbie

Hi. Newby here.
    I have a 520 that my father bought in the 1930's for hunting Ducks for the
    Market. It has surprisingly little wear on it and all the original wood.
    The newer, more expensive, Ithaca Double had proven more popular for the Pheasant hunting we did and it shows in the wear.
  15. wheelinmarine

wheelinmarine G&G Newbie

stevens model 520

My father in law has one of these with serial number 32796. How do we find out history and manufactured date? This weapon is in great shape with all of the factory wood still in tact. Has not been shot in over 22 years. One the side are the dates Feb 7, 1905, Aug 27,1907. What are those dates related to? Thanks for the info. I'm wanting to locate a owners manual for the 520 for him as a surprize. I've not even tried to take down for cleaning until I get one. This thing is older than I am, I think.
  16. Checkman

Checkman G&G Newbie

The following information was obtained from: John M. Browning: American Gunmaker.Second Edition. John Browning and Curt Gentry. Published by Browning. 1964. Page 258.

History: Patent application on this model was filed July 10, 1903 and U.S. Patent No. 781,765 was granted February 7, 1905. Manufacturing and sales rights were acquired by the Stevens Arms Company in 1903 and the gun was placed on the market in early 1904 as the Stevens Model 520. A streamlined version, the Model 620, was introduced in 1927.

Description: Pump-action, concealed hammer, solid-breech, tubular magazine, takedown repeating shotgun.

The following specifications refer to the Model 520:

Gauge:12
    Chamber: 2/3.25"
    Magazine type and capacity:Tubular. 5 shells
    Model styles: Field, Trap and Deluxe
    Barrel lengths 26, 28, 30 and 32"
    Choke: Full choke, modified choke, and cylinder bore
    Weight: 7.5lbs (approximately)
    Stock: Field and Deluxe, checkered, semi-pistol grip, rubber butt plate. Trap, checkered, straight grip rubber butt plate.

The Model 520 was discontinued in 1932 though it's likely Stevens was still assembling the model from already fabricated parts and selling it for a few years after manufacturing was stopped.

The Model 620 was designed to eliminate the abrupt angle at the rear of the reciever. The 620 was also specifically manufactured for police and military (riot) in addition to the above named styles. The 620 was discontinued in 1955. Production numbers of either model are unknown. At least they were unknown when this book was written.

Hope this helps.
  17. longrun

longrun G&G Newbie

longrun

I just got out the old 520 I got a couple of years ago. Gave it a good cleaning and started wondering how old it was. I new nothing about it ever since i got it. It was left to me when my brother died. I do know that it did a good job on the pheasants we used to hunt and i seen him take a turkey out of the air with it. Me i used fancy new guns that did not shoot any better than the 520. In my brothers hands the gun really impressed me. I have not shot it yet but plan to in the near future. I noticed that it did not have the guage stamped on it. I dropped a 12 guage empty in it and it fit nicely. From what i,ve gathered from all the reading on this page is i have an early model cause my safty is in the trigger guard. I didnt even know the model no.till today because i did not see it on the gun. But now i will look again cause i seen that some of the guns listed here had the model no. on the slide . thanks to all of you for all the good information. Happy shooting Longrun s.n. 23237
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  18. Krag 30-40

Krag 30-40 G&G Newbie

These are fine old shotguns,all steel and well made.A friend of mine with no interest in firearms recently gave me his dads,a 16 guage in very nice original condition.
  19. Cedar Creek Sam

Cedar Creek Sam G&G Newbie

I have 4, the 12 was my father's which he got ca. 1937; the 16 I rarely use by had it fixed up; the 20 has taken brant, buffs, bluebills, old squaw, mallards, rails...a workhorse for salt water, parkerized and very effective. The trench model sits in the closet...

Hard steel, wonderful takedown system, and points like a charm with that squareback. Don't know why I have other guns, but the Browning a5's shoot like the 520....
  20. Spartan232

Spartan232 G&G Newbie

Ive had a Stevens Model 520 12 gauge pump since I was about 10. A friend of my dads said if I could fix it, I could have it. I opened it up, and found that it had a broken firing pin. I fixed the pin for about $20 and it has been my favorite gun ever since. I think the barrel has been cut off a bit though. Not sure.

Now, I was wondering if there were any after market parts I could order for it anywhere. I really would like to put a Pistol grip butt stock and fore grip on it. Maybe even a heat shield. Anything like this anywhere?

I "made" a pistol grip butt stock for it using the old plastic stock off of my Hi-Point 9mm Carbine. It is very crude, but, it does work nicely. It certainly is not going to be permanent since it doesn't look nice at all. But if I cant find one to buy, I may see about making one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31824862@N05/4057236266/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31824862@N05/4056498619/