Stevens model 124

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by PAPA G, Jan 18, 2005.

1. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

at first glance it looks like a streamlined semiauto shotgun, but its not.
    2 shot magazine. the gun is a bolt action.

what looks like the bolt knob of a semi is really the bolt handle. pull it straight out to unlock the action, then pull it straight back to eject and cock the hammer. then push it forward to load a new shell, and push the knob back in to lock.

y'all ever seen one??? :)
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Hmmm . . . my tusty Gun Trader's Guide calls the Model 124 the "Cross Bolt Repeater". Hammerless. Solid frame. 12 gauge only. 2-shot tubular magazine. 28 inch barrel. IC, M or Full choke. Weight 7 pounds. Tenite stock and forearm. Made 1947 - 52.
    Values: NiB $175, Ex $140, Gd $95.

Have you bought it? :)
  3. DANA

DANA G&G Newbie

Stevens used the same method to allow single shot operation with the Stevens Springfield 22. And shotguns with their plastic stocks boy do they KICK. Unscrewing the plug in the stock allows you to add sand or whatever you wish to help tame the beast. So much for the TENITE plastic stock shotgun series.

DANA
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

no Big Dog, i was just reminising. posted it for the benefit of all you youngsters!!! i saw one about 20 years ago in a gun shop. thought i found a cheap semi-auto, i bet follow up shots are a beech with it.
  5. wcassidy

wcassidy G&G Newbie

i picked up one of these at an estate clearing for $40 in some seriously neglected shape, i killed the mold that made a home for itself in the checkering and vowed to clean it up and try i out, that was about 2 years ago and i haven't found the guts yet, i'll have to post a photo or two and/or recap the experience
  6. 4sfed

4sfed G&G Newbie

I'm using the one my father bought when he was in high school. It has a pretty good kick.
  7. Wayne Lee

Wayne Lee G&G Newbie

I Have one.

I have one of the model 124's you speek of.My dad bought it before i was born which was 1955.
  8. Chemikill

Chemikill G&G Newbie

I have one of these, bought it for $25, never saw anything like it before, haven't fired it cause i didnt know what to expect. It's in real good shape, and now that i know how to operate the thing, i'll have to try it.