Stevens model 15-B

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dolfan, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Dolfan

Dolfan G&G Newbie

Hello everyone!

I am new to this site and was hoping to get some assistance. I have a 22 bolt action model 15-b. I am trying to date the rifle. My brother got it from our uncle in 1973 and from what we know he had it for some time before that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Kevin
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Kevin ,
    You should date GIRLS...Not Rifles !!! LOL

Unfortunately there is No list to put a Manufacture date on that rifle as they were produced from 1936 -1971

Welcome to G&G !
    Rich
  3. Krag 30-40

Krag 30-40 G&G Newbie

LOL A Stevens 1939 price list shows these sold for $4.00 at that time.:eek5:
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

A few years back, Numrich sold the Model 15 complete for about $150. Putting one together from parts will run you about that too.

I got mine from an uncle too, back when I was about eight. Still have it. It still shoots good, and I have refinished it. Dad kept it out in the boathouse to shoot sparrows while I was away in the military - it was badly rusted when I got home - I was PO'd! Luckily it cleaned up well, and looks good again now.

My Stevens Model 15 and it's 'big brother' Stevens .410 shotgun.
    [​IMG]
  5. 728shooter

728shooter G&G Newbie

I have a Stevens model 15A that I recently found in a pawn shop and I just did a total restore on it. Interesting rifle; thought it was missing the buttplate but found out that in the early 30's, the eliminated the buttplate to cut costs and they (Stevens) finished the stock without one. After I stripped all the old varnish off, I found the most beautiful birch stock underneath! I need to take some pics to post; haven't test fired it yet but the bore looks perfect so I expect it to be a great shooter. Love these "oldies" -- they don't make them like that any more!

--728shooter
  6. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Regular

$150. is IMO pretty steep for a Stevens M-15. I see them all the time for $75.ish.And occasionally for $50. Prior to 1948 they had 24" barrel. Post ;48 had 22" .
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

ANY twentytwo rifle in shootable shape down here seems to start at $125 to $150 in the gun shops - the days of the "Fifty Dollar Twentytwo Rifle" are long over.
    The Model 15 was made in many variations, and was sold under various Store Brand names too. There was a slightly larger version more suited to adults, and a plastic stocked version. They are basically what used to be called "Boy's Rifles" for early training - a kid's 'first rifle' very often. Mine still has a pristine bore (22" barrel) - and I used to shoot it a lot!
    The actions are about the simplest possible for a bolt action rifle.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  8. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Regular

Wow! May I siggest the gun auction websites. You can often get a Model 15 for less than $100. Including shipping/FFL fees.
  9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

If anyone has one that is busted , I am looking for a Parts gun model 15. I need a Bolt, and a Takedown screw.

Rich
  10. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Regular

M-15 parts are usually available on the gun auction websites.
  11. rusty lee

rusty lee G&G Newbie

Hello everyone came across this forum while looking for info on a stevens 15a I just got from my dad. Hoping someone could help me. It won't fire when you pull back on the knob on the bolt it clicks into the hole in the striker. but when trigger is pulled it the striker does not go foward . you can push it foward but it doesn't snap. I think I am missing parts. would realy like to see a pic or diagram of how they work. THANKS
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

This rifle has the simplest Mechanism Made...Remove the takedown screw , pull the action out of the stock and make sure that the round double threaded screw ( where the takedown screw fits into) is tight to the barrel , The trigger is a floating lever that has to pull down the rear of the long bar(sear and spring combined) in order to release the firing pin. The double screw holds this tight to the barrel so the lever trigger works properly !
    Rich
    P.s....Make sure the firing pin has spring pressure when you pull back on the knob...
  13. rusty lee

rusty lee G&G Newbie

It's not the trigger thats broke its in the bolt. it will not cock or release a spring or something is missing/broke. on numerich they list a washer mine does not have a washer. would like to see a working bolt torn down to see what I'm missing. thanks
  14. rusty lee

rusty lee G&G Newbie

got it working Thanks anyway
  15. OODA

OODA G&G Newbie

Model 15 / missfire

Recently repaired this old gun by replacing a missing firing pin. It doesn't fire when the trigger is pulled. Upon inspection of the rim of the shell I can see that the firing pin his hitting the shell. I did pull back on the cocking knob and with the trigger depressed was able to get the gun to fire ( an empty shell of course ) when I released the knob. Before I spend the $62 for a new bolt do you think the mainspring could need replacing. It has probably been used a time or two over the years. :haha:

JD
  16. sv_libertarian

sv_libertarian G&G Newbie

Necroposting here, but just picked up a model 15 myself. $50 bucks, figured I couldn't go wrong. Nice little rifle, think I'll use it as a backpacking gun.
  17. Freezing Hot

Freezing Hot G&G Newbie

More necroing.
    I've got the Savage 120A.
    Great Uncle(grammy's brother) sold it to my grandpa in the '70s. They since divorced, and he passed the rifle to me last fall.