Stevens Savage 87a

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by sv_libertarian, Mar 7, 2010.

1. sv_libertarian

sv_libertarian G&G Newbie

Just picked one up, no scope mount groove, so I'm guessing it's an earlier one. Any good histories or whatnot out there about these things? I'm not finding a lot. What year did they start grooving them for scope rings?
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

This basic design was marketed under many diferent brands, including many 'store brands'. Generally, the scope grooves were introduced in the mid fifties. Production of the later models went into the 80's. It's a good design, and can be a very good shooter!
  3. sv_libertarian

I saw an ad from 1955 featuring the scope grooves, so I'm guessing that since the Stevens Savage markings started in 48, it's between 48 and 55. I do want to put a side scope mount on this thing, or find a way to upgrade the sights, I never cared for the buckhorn sights...
  4. Hansbaxter

Hansbaxter G&G Newbie

I entered the serial number on Savage.com and they said it was manufactured in "1951 or later."
  5. Hansbaxter

Hansbaxter G&G Newbie

Sorry readers, I just posted on the wrong Thread. Duh.
  6. Mad Dog

Mad Dog G&G Newbie

The early 87's weren't grooved or D&T'd for a scope.

They did have two holes D&T'd on the left side of the receiver for the #150 peep sight that Savage offered.
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Mine was D/T'd on the left side of the receiver for a scope side-mount - but it was a 'bubba job' - one of the four screw holes is off-line. I have a Mossberg side-mount that fits it nicely - in the two GOOD holes!
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  8. sv_libertarian

Mine flat out isn't D&T'd for anything. I'd love to have a peep on there, and if a mossberg scoope mount will fit and work, I've got one of those already on my Mossberg 46m(b) that I can use as a template for D&T then. I'd like to set it up with a peep, scope and a globe front sight. The front sight should be an easy mod. Hate to D&T a rifle that never had it, but I'm not sure I would hurt any value on this particular gun if I do it right. That buckhorn is just to dang hard to use!
  9. Mad Dog

Mad Dog G&G Newbie

Must have been made around 1952. The 49-51 catalogs show the gun with the peep sight D&T and then dissappears come 1952. Then they started to groove the barrels for the scopes in 55.
  10. sv_libertarian

Interesting, thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna have it D&T'd for both a peep and a side scope mount though. It's a freaking BLAST to shoot, but those sights have got to go!