Stevens Visible Loader .22 Pump Rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by stephenjones, Jan 10, 2007.

1. stephenjones

stephenjones G&G Newbie

I recently acquired a Stevens Visible Loader .22 Pump Rifle. This gun is about 100 years old. It was filthy and really needed cleaning. So I took it apart to clean it. Now I can't figure out how to get it back together and can't find a manual or exploded view of it anywhere. I know they exist. I just can't get my hands on one. I would really appreciate it if anyone has one they could share with me. Thanks.

Stephen Jones
  2. michiganhunter

michiganhunter G&G Newbie

i also have an old .22 pump but no manual i have taken it apart 100s of times it is pretty simple, is it the type where you drop the trigger out and you get the whole loading mechanism out with it, and all you have left in the gun is the bolt with the slides? the bolt can be pretty tricky to get back in sometimes. oh and BTW its a sport king model-P1011 pump action .22.
  3. stephenjones

stephenjones G&G Newbie

No, it's not the same as yours. But thanks.
  4. hoglot

hoglot G&G Newbie

stevens visible loader .22 rifle.

Mr. Jones I have a stevens visible loader .ww pump rifle. I in the process of dismantling the gun to clean and repair. How do you remove the barrel off the gun and if you have a manual on how to put back together?

Donald Morgan
    email: hoglot@hotmail.com

5. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Regular

Oh boy, have you guys stepped in it. The Stevens Visible loader is a nightmare most modern gunsmiths are reluctant to tackle. And definantly not a gun for the novice to tinker on.
    There is no owners manual/dis-assembly/assembly instruction books that I have ever seen. The most helpful info I have ever found is the designers patent which has detailed info on how the gun works.
    You can locate it @ Google Patent search, patent # 953291. Or send me an email @ Fatstrat@webtv.net and I will forward it to you.
  6. Sav22

Sav22 G&G Newbie

Here's a link with some info that has another link with some more, hope it helps.
    stevens model 70 VLR info - RimfireCentral.com Forums
    The Visible Loader is one of my favorites, no because it's the best made which it's not, not because it's the best designed because it's not and not because its the best shooter because it's not - it's just so odd and different that it's NOT the same or even similar to anything else. PS the first rule of owning a Visable Loader is DO NOT TAKE THEM APART!!!! I unfortunatly couldn't leave mine alone either but now can do it with minimal problems. I wonder how many if these interesting guns met their end as a box of old parts in a dreary corner of a basement????
  7. Jim Keith

Jim Keith G&G Newbie

I love mine for the same reasons as above. There is simply not another gun like it.
    It chambers a round with absolute precision. Mine misfires a lot, but functions flawlessly otherwise. Maybe someday I will find the reason it misfires. It would sure be fun too shoot otherwise.
  8. jjwebber

jjwebber G&G Newbie

I have a VLR that also loads flawlessly, but frequently fails to fire. It almost always fires if I re-cock the hammer. Inspecting the brass, the firing pin mark seems unusual: It appears to be round, not a chisel-like strike made by all my other .22's. Instead of a nice sharp dent in the rim, it peens over the edge of the cartridge, leaving a mark that is, well, not easy to spot without come closer inspection. Sound familiar to anyone else?
  9. Eaton56

Eaton56 G&G Newbie

I have a Visible and I have had it apart but don't remember that it was a huge problem. What I would suggest to those with misfiring problems is to point the rifle downward into a bucket of sand etc. and see if the problem goes away. Mine did the same thing and it turned out to be a weak spring. Also I need a magazine tube and spring if anyone has one
  10. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Regular

Do you mean INNER magazine tube & spring? If so, it's EASY. Most gunsmiths will make you one for about $30. Or you can make it yourself if you're handy at all. Brownells and Midway sell mag tube kits that are easy to assemble. It's very likely the ones you buy from gunsmiths are made from the same kits. All you really need is the dimensions.
  11. ravenh2001

ravenh2001 G&G Newbie

I have a inner tube and spring for the visible loader. I was given the gun in a box when a friend cleaned out an old house.When I put it together I found out why it was apart. The action is so worn it wont load more than 2 in a row. if someone needs parts e mail me at ravenh2001@hotmail.com and put visible loader in the subject line. I delete email from unknown but that will catch my eye. putting it together was fun like doing a 1000 piece puzzle. walk away and come back later.
  12. ravenh2001

ravenh2001 G&G Newbie

to remove the barrel there is a pin going threw the reciever just 3/4 inch from the front. screw heads on both sides. it is 1/4 inch pin flat on one side. one side is a lock screw. remove the locking screw and turn the other till it feels loose then tap it out. be gental it is a brass cam/ pin.
  13. Al22

Al22 G&G Newbie

old 22 pump

i have the same rifle and took apart the trigger assembly now i am having trouble putting it back together . do you know if there is a manual or maybe a diagram i can get .or do you know a trick or two you could pass on. this is a really cool gun i would like to get it working again.
    thanks
  14. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

I am a gunsmith and i don't find the visable loader that difficult to work on, just pay attention to how you take it apart and reverse the process, that being said I can understand how it would confuse someone the first time. I dont know if it will help but here is the picture of one that I am rebuilding right now
    [​IMG]
    Steve
  15. Al22

Al22 G&G Newbie

just cant see inside

Thanks for the reply the pic may help .I do remember how to put it together I just can't see inside the trigger housing ,and there is one piece I can't seem to put back in . if you don,t mind i would like to send a picture of this piece .I'll bet you know what i'm talking about. il'll thy to send the picture soon .Don't have my camera handy.
  16. raygoerdt

raygoerdt G&G Newbie

any idea what part it is, the lifter, hammer lock...................

I recently aquired one, and have it apart now, have had it apart and together several times with no real problems.
  17. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Sounds like you oughta take a pic of each step as you do it, and post them with a line or two of instruction on each pic to help out the other guys :)

Arrowdodger did a Powerpoint picture presentation with the Marlin 60 over on RFC, and it's helped MANY Marlin owners over the years :)

Or heck, make it into a book and sell it ;) Or both :)
  18. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Hah, found this quote and laughed...

Then this one...
    Here's a Parts Listing of available stuff...both links apply
    Firearm Parts and Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts Corp. | e-GunParts.com
    Firearm Parts and Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts Corp. | e-GunParts.com

Here's the kicker,
    "models 70 &1/2, 71, 71 &1/2, 72, 722 are essentially the SAME as the model 70, differing chiefly in barrel length &/or sight equipment."
    Made 1907-1934

And one more quote...
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  19. Bill Carson

Bill Carson G&G Newbie

Keeping the Rifle

I had a hell of a time trying to keep both of my Families Rifles. Steven's and a Model 1890 Winchester. I've shot the Steven's a few times, No problem. My Dad used to clean it and shoot the Steven's, so it was pretty clean. Bill
  20. rick mottern

rick mottern G&G Newbie

need a magazine tube

sup fellas im new i seen some of you have a stevens repeater i was wondering if anyone has a magazine tube for one or know where to get one thanks