Steyr Straight Pull Bolt Carbine, 8x56r?

Discussion in 'General Military' started by Joshua M. Smith, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith G&G Enthusiast

Hello,

I found one of these for cheap.

I really like it. It's almost as light as an M1 Carbine but has a LOT more power.

The straight pull bolt is easy for me, a lefty, to work.

Problem is that I went on an ammo hunt before buying it.

WHERE THE HECK IS THE AMMO? I love the this short rifle, and the sights rock. I'd love to make it a go-to rifle, but need ammo before I buy the thing!

I have one or two rounds in my collection I picked up someplace. That's the only stuff I've ever seen.

I also understand I need an en-bloc clip sort of like the Garand..? Where can I get those?

Thanks,

Josh
  2. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

have you checked Ammunitiontogo.com or sportsmans guide? They usually have a pretty large selection of suprlus ammo, other than that you might be able to find some at a gun show, but thats only good if theres one coming near anytime soon
  3. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

Old west scrounger had clips and maybe ammo. Hornaday makes modern ammo for it. I have found ammo at Cabella's
  4. rando

rando G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

You can get commercial ammo or milsurp ammo online or at gun shows. I found some 1938 millsurp ammo at the gunshow for mine last saturday.I also found the clips and also boxes of ammo with two clips with 5 rounds each for 12 bucks.
  5. Joshua M. Smith

Thanks gents.

Another issue is continuance of the supply - I understand that the surplus supply is drying up, but does it look like the modern stuff will be around for a bit, you think?

It would be awesome if Wolf took up manufacturing this stuff...

Josh
  6. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Graf And Sons has both Prvi and Hornady ammo.

I solve the problem by making my own.
  8. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I cannot remember if somebody a while back told me it was Wolf, or Prvi Partizan that was going to start making them. Since Prvi does now, I'm thinking that's the one I heard.

I remember when The Old Western Scrounger was selling the charger clips for $2.50 each and the shipping for up to six of them was only another $2.50....sadly that deal no longer available. I bought 6, then another six. Ended up with about seven of them with Nazi proofmarks on them.
  9. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
  10. rando

rando G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

The Joker, That is the same boxes of ammo that I bought at the gunshow this weekend. I saw your pic and recognized it. I opened them up and didn,t even know till now that they have the nazi stamp on the clips. I paid $12 a box and didnt know if that was high or not. Thanks for the info. Rando
  11. Never_Evil

Never_Evil G&G Enthusiast

I have on occasion found ammo 8X56R at Dunham's Sports, but have not looked for this ammo recently. I have the Mauser conversion M95M and love it. Any ammo you do find will be a corrosive primer and your gun will need to be cleaned after every firing session. The odds of the 8x56R being made new will dwindle as the time goes on because the original design was a 1895 and was later converted to the longer rimmed round which is still in the 100 year old range. Sometimes when you find the ammo, you will be able to get some En-Bloc clips, most of them are Nazi marked. Dig around at your local hole in the wall gun stores, they may have some surplus ammo they took in as an estate sale. Make sure your extractor is in good condition, finding them are getting tough. A local gun shop here has a M95 but it has a broken extractor so I passed on the rifle. If you know a machinist, they might be able to make a few copies for you. Mine has been in the hands of Bubba, but he did a great job on mating it to the stock. I believe another gun shop in my area still has some ammo for you with the en blocs, if you would like me to look into it, just send me a message.
  12. Joshua M. Smith

Hello,

I appreciate it. I've not bought the rifle yet, though.

I just shot an email off to Wolf asking them what it would take for them to manufacture the stuff, since the 7.62x54r case is at least close enough to form a short-necked 8x56r.

The purchase will be mainly contingent upon that. I usually make my own gun parts; I made a new extractor for the old M69 training rifle used to have.

Thanks!

Josh
  13. littlestoney406

littlestoney406 G&G Newbie

I went through this a little while back with my buddy. Gad Custom Cartridge sells them for like $20 a box or something like that, but I don't know anything about them. He didn't order any.
  14. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

Yea, ammo is going to be the hardest thing to find to feed it. Sportsman's Guide has it occasionally. And when you do find it, it's rather expensive. Keep checking around though. buymilsurp.com has some off and on, but you've basically got to luck in to it when it's in stock lol. Reloading your own is an excellent option, but you'll be out some cash to get a set up if you haven't already got one. Of all the military surplus rifles I have shot, the Steyr M95 Stutzen is the hardest hitting with recoil. I hope you have a strong shoulder! It bucks, but it's fun :) They are fun guns, for sure, but they aren't a Swiss K31 that's for sure ;)
  15. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    Yeah, the M95 actually was used in combat. Ops...Did I say that out loud???:34:
  16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

What is this talk of the ammo being hard to find? It took me all of about 20 seconds to find two major retailers who were selling it, and it was in stock. Like I said, I reload all mine, but commercial stuff is there to be had.
  17. happycamper

happycamper G&G Newbie

8x56 r nazil ammo

I got some boxes of the 8x56r nazil ammo
    10 rds per boxs on 2 clips
    asking 25.00 per boxs plus shiping
    or make me an offer
    K_boltz2@comcast.net found one of these for cheap.

I really like it. It's almost as light as an M1 Carbine but has a LOT more power.

The straight pull bolt is easy for me, a lefty, to work.

Problem is that I went on an ammo hunt before buying it.

WHERE THE HECK IS THE AMMO? I love the this short rifle, and the sights rock. I'd love to make it a go-to rifle, but need ammo before I buy the thing!

I have one or two rounds in my collection I picked up someplace. That's the only stuff I've ever seen.

I also understand I need an en-bloc clip sort of like the Garand..? Where can I get those?

Thanks,

Josh[/QUOTE]
  18. Buddymack

Buddymack G&G Newbie

Prvi Partizan PPU 8x56R 208grn FMJ 20rd Box

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12592

Cabela's: Search Results

Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide

I cheated, but I will tell you watch Gunbroker and local sorces I have found this stuff for my son who loves his, its and inexpensive nicely built gun that is expensive to feed, I think its a great BBQ rifle though, fun to break out and let others shoot and demonstrate but not the rifle you will shoot 440 rounds for 100 dollars.
  19. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

I have 6 boxes of the Nazi stuff, I had 7 but I wanted to play with the rifle. I got Brass and PRVI bullets from Graff and Sons and reload for mine, and I don't think the recoil is all that bad with either the Nazi stuff or the reloads. The hardest part for me was finding reloading data I would trust. Found it in Cartridges of the World.
  20. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

Josh, I've debated buying one of these for a long time. S.O.G. has'em for $84.95 right now. I may order one from them. Then worry about the ammo later.