Sticky Trigger

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Raoul Duke, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke G&G Newbie

Hi all. I've been experiencing a problem with my rifle. When I first got it I cleaned the metal parts with mineral spirits and the wood with Dawn Power Dissolver. The first time I fired it (Brown Bear ammo) I had zero problems. The last two times I fired it (Russian surplus ammo) the trigger was sticking. I don't have the sticky bolt problem, just sticky trigger. I lubed the bottom of the bolt where it meets the trigger but still have the problem, but only when the rifle is hot. Do you think I missed some cosmo in there?
  2. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

not likely. get a magnifying glass out and look at the bolt where the trigger spring engages it and the part on the spring itself that does the work. you'll probably find they are kinda rough and not making even contact. if so, search for the trigger thread that should have been made a sticky a long time ago.
  3. Whootsinator

Whootsinator G&G Newbie

If it only happens when it's hot, does it still happen when it cools down?
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

If I were you, I'd detail-strip the trigger group (which involves driving out one pin and unscrewing one screw - even I can do that!), clean the daylights out of it, and perhaps do a little judicious polishing per the trigger-smoothing thread that oughta be a sticky. (Moderators, that's a hint.) You might also think about installing a slack spring to make your release a lot crisper.
  5. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke G&G Newbie

Thanks guys! I love tinkering with this rifle so I will act on your suggestions tonight.

If someone finds that trigger thread please bump it for me.

BTW - I enjoy shooting my MN more than my remington .270. My friends love shooting the beast as well. I think some of that cosmo soaked into my hands because I feel the urge...... to buy another Mosin Nagant!
  6. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke G&G Newbie

I tried dry firing it several times when the rifle was cool and had zero problems :banghead:
  7. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

i can't for the life of me think of any really good reason for it to act up when hot. i hope some of our smarter members has a clue.
  8. Ken in Iowa

Ken in Iowa G&G Enthusiast

Just what kind of sticking does it do?
  9. Whootsinator

Whootsinator G&G Newbie

My initial thought was perhaps the metal is getting hot and expanding. Same as shallow barrel channels and free floated barrels. Barrel and wood both get hot, both expand, then touch and free floated barrel is no longer free floated.

But, the back of the receiver/bolt should not be getting that hot... if it gets that hot way back there, I guarantee you can't even hold the gun.
  10. kortik

kortik Suspended

No idea whatsover. Never heard of this phenomena.

The only advice I got is to disassemble the rifle and assemble it again - something is not right there.
  11. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

I have never heard of this happening either. Might just take a disassembly and a good cleaning. Make sure your mating surfaces on the cocking knob and the sear spring itself are good and clean, with no burrs or gunk on it.
  12. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke G&G Newbie

I'll take aim, squeeze the trigger, and it's just a long pull with no release at the end of the pull. If I let off and try it again it will fire if I squeeze relatively quickly. The slower the pull, the more likely the problem. Like I said, it only happens when the rifle is hot. I can dry fire it cold with the slowest trigger squeeze and it releases nice and crisp.
  13. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

your trigger spring must be tweaked. pull the bolt out and squeeze the trigger? does the sear drop down into the receiver far enough to release the bolt? i'm betting it's right on the edge and when hot, does not drop far enough. you may need to bend it or shim it. be careful here. you do not want to get it to the point that it could "bump fire" or have an accidental discharge. i'll look for the trigger post. i think you need to read it.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  14. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

15. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke G&G Newbie

16. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

kind sir? you must be mistaking me for someone else! lol!
  17. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke G&G Newbie

Update:

I broker her down last night and inspected the parts in R5CYA's diagram. Everything was smooth so I decided to do one more cleaning before I do any sanding/polishing. It looked like there was still some cosmo in that area and smelled cosmo-ish. I soaked everything in mineral spirits, scrubbed, dried and gave it a shot of break free.

When I was breaking it down I noticed that the two guard screws were loose. I'm wondering if that had something to do with my problem? The trigger did feel a bit crisper and shorter when I dry fired it but that might of just been in my head.

Hopefully I can get to the range on Sunday and test it out. If I still have the problem I will start sanding/polishing.
  18. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

the reason i linked you to the trigger post was so you could get a better idea of how the trigger works and why they usually feel like 5 miles of bad road when you pull them. i don't think you're at the stage to worry about polishing anything though. something else is probably the problem.
    i'm not sure which screws you're referring to. take a look at the first exploded view and give us a number for the ones that were loose. if it's 17 and 18, they're not the problem.
    Mosin Nagant Rifle Exploded Views and Disassembly
    i'm still betting that the sear/bolt stop that's your problem. it's #1 in the second exploded view. if it's "arched" too much, the trigger won't pull the sear/bolt stop down into the receiver far enough to release the bolt.
    YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WITH THIS PART. MAKING IT TOO FLAT CAN CAUSE ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE.
    you need to make sure it's sticking up high enough to positively hold the bolt back but drops into the receiver far enough to insure it lets the bolt go, even when things heat up. on the m39 i'm looking at right now, it drops into the receiver an bout an 1/8th". if yours doesn't clear the receiver, i'd make sure it does. making sure you still have enough height to hold the bolt securely of course.
    it's a good idea after doing any trigger work to make sure it won't bump-fire afterwards. i have a thick rubber mat on the floor of the garage that works well.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  19. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

If the firing pin isn't tripping when the trigger is pulled, I would suspect some cosmo or grunge in the bolt, around the firing pin. Dissassemble the bolt and clean thoroughly.
  20. ottawa rogue

ottawa rogue G&G Enthusiast

that is not required, all you have to do is get a whiff of mosin cosmoline to be infected:D