suppressor tax stamp questions?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by meatloaf, Nov 19, 2007.

1. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

I know it's a 200 dollar tax stamp to purchase a scilencer. Now my question is What do I open myself to if I purchase one? Do I lose any rights to ATF or future gun owner ship? Are there any down sides to purchasing the tax stamp?

:kinky:For those who dont know or even criticize me wanting to own a suppressor.......Its because I can!:kinky:
  2. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

The last time I checked you cannot transfer the suppressor nor can it be inherited if something happens to you unless the receiver files for the same stamp you did.

I would think you could expect visits from the BATFE to ensure you still prossess it and that it hasn't "disappeared".
  3. SilentSoul

SilentSoul G&G Newbie

Also from what I read, you must posses the stamp ANY time you posses the suppressor. So if you go to the range with it, gotta have the stamp on you.
  4. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

Well, first you have to get your local Chief Law Enforcement officer to sign off on it. I have heard that can be a problem in some places. For example my county Sheriff has no problems with it, but the guys 20 miles down the road in the next county are SOL because that sheriff will not sign off on any Class III forms.

I think you are subject to periodic inspection by the ATF, but I would think all your rights would remain in place. Meaning, I think they would simply make an appointment to drop by and make sure you still have it. I don't see them banging on your front door at 2am. Of course, another drawback is that you will be on one more ATF list.

I have thought about getting one for one of my 22's, but I just have not worked myself up for the paperwork. It is illegal to hunt with one in my state as well - still trying to figure out what I would do with it. They are cool though.

Edit: I think Silentsoal is correct - I think there are also some restrictions on traveling out of state - not positive on that one though.
  5. beltfed

beltfed G&G Newbie

silencer

I don’t think you open your self up to any problems, now if you’re a crack head selling drugs from your house you may be concerned. I’ve owned MGs for a long time and never had any one ask for my form 4, although I always have copy’s in my gun cases.

If your thinking about getting a suppressor go for it you’ll wonder why it took you so long. They improve accuracy, reduce recoil, and it’s neat to hear the bullet hit.

This is me trying out an AAC Ranger on an 11.5” AND 16” barrel
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJmbfKg69Y]YouTube - aac ranger[/ame]
  6. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

Nice video the suppressor realy cuts down on the noise. What does it sound like when firing a subsonic round? Im thinking of purchasing a suppressor for a forty five so I can use it on more than one of my weapons. Im going to try for my tax stamp after the first of the year. One question I do have is what to do if the suppressor is stolen from me ? What kind of liability am I responsable for?
  7. beltfed

beltfed G&G Newbie

I would say your liability if stolen would be no different than any firearm although I don’t know of any used in a crime. It sounds silly but it is considered a firearm and registered the same as an MG.

You don’t apply for a tax stamp; you purchase a suppressor and fill out a form 4 in duplicate send it in to the ATF they process the paper work and send you back one of the forms with a canceled $200 dollar stamp attached. It’s not that big a deal, it takes about 30 to 40 days from when you send it out and get it back.

I should add that the suppressor stays at the dealer, the ATF will send the form back to the dealer and then you can pick it up. The site below is a good one for suppressors.
    I don’t think a 45 can is one that I would get from what I can tell do to the diameter of the hole there not very quite with out water or grease in the can.

My next can will be a 9mm for a pistol or possibly for full auto and use it on my Mac. AAC the company that makes the can I have recommends that you don’t use subsonic rounds in there 223 cal cans; the bullet may not stabilize and cause a baffle strike. 9mm and 22 are good subsonic rounds and probably closer to Hollywood quite.

Silencer Talk

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2006-06-29
  8. nvshooter

nvshooter G&G Newbie

A suppressor is a "machine gun" according to the law. You have to qualify to own one just as you would a full-auto M16 or AK47. Just make sure you have your Form 4 with you whenever you have the thing with you. You have to watch out when you travel with one. Some states do not allow the possession of them at all, regardless as to whether you are just passin' through or not. If you must go through a suppressor-hating state, you must notify all appropriate law enforcement agencies along your route that you will be traveling through with a suppressor (and/or a machine gun if you have one). Owning a silencer or a machine gun is like being married: It can be fun, but it can also be a royal pain.

Silencers are quite neat. I was at the local 1000-yard range several months ago and a kid had one on a .308Win rifle. The sound was like the swish and swack you hear when you swat a fly with a plastic flyswatter. Very impressive, very easy on the ears and quite likely to make you want one...
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  9. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

Thanks for the web site. If a 45 isn't any good then I was thinking about picking up a STEYR 9mm from the gun store. I dont realy like the lower powerd rounds (it's an ego thing) but if it's the best way to go then maybe I'll pick it up the gun feels great in my hands anyways. Do you guys think for a first suppressor I should pick one up for a hand gun or a rifle? I have a cetme 308 and a Yugo Ak47. for pistols I have a Colt 911 and a FNH five-seven. Do they make a suppressor for the five-seven? Thanks for the info. Also what about a .40 cal?
  10. chrisgun

chrisgun G&G Newbie

I don't think it really matters whether the first one is for a handgun or a rifle;it all depends on your budget and priorities. I once saw a photo of a Five-Seven with a suppressor on it;other than that I don't really know much else about it, though I can imagine that would be pretty neat. As far as the .40 goes, suppressors certainly do exist, and it wouldn't be a bad choice either(sort of a compromise between the 9mm.Parabellum and the .45Auto, though closer to the 9mm. than the .45).
  11. kched

kched G&G Newbie

My Sheriff refused to sign my Tax Paper to own a suppressor - he said he called the ATF and they told him it would be illegal without his signature on the paper and that they are illegal in state of Mississippi, they told him he would be held liable for anything that went wrong if he signed off on it - it this true??. I was told by my FFL guy there is other ways to own it without the Sheriff's signature, my question is, If I am shooting in my back yard, and the sheriff drives up, what can he do if I acquired this item in the way that does not require his signature?????
  12. RockB

RockB G&G Newbie

So can you only use it in his jurisdiction (range is 2 sheriffs away)?

If you want to move does the local Chief Law Enforcement officer in your new local have to sign off?
  13. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

One of the good things to come out of the European HSE rules is the fact that all UK shooters can easily get silencers/moderators for any weapons they hold.
    Should any Police Chief not endorse our application for one, they could then be liable for any hearing impairment sustained whilst lawfully shooting.
    Ya gotta use the "Rules" in your favor every time!
  14. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

no your wrong you don't have to have the cheif of police sign off on you the best way to get a class 3 item is a TRUST no sign off no picture no finger prints !
    also the atf never visits you inless your an idiot doing stupid things.

MAJOR MALFUNCTION - Class 3 III NFA dealer - suppressor / silencer sales
    Machine guns, suppressors, short barrel rifles/shotguns (SBR) are all completely legal to own in most states (those that honor/protect our individual freedoms - you're out of luck if you live in CA or NY).
    If you've never gone through the process of purchasing one of the these items, it's really not that complicated (it just seems that way, if you've never done it before).
    These item can be owned by an INDIVIDUAL, a TRUST, or a CORPORATION.

individual

STEP 1 We'll complete two copies of an ATF Form 4 for you (the only info we need from you is your full name, mailing address and county). You simply check a few boxes (to verify that you're 21 or older, not mentally defective, a drug addict, a fugitive from justice, etc.) and sign/date.
    STEP 2 You get two passport photos done (Walgreen's or CVS pharmacy can do them in about 15 minutes in their photo processing section) .
    STEP 3 We'll provide you with an ATF Form 5330.20, which simply verifies your citizenship status. You fill in lines 1 & 2, check the appropriate box on line 5 and sign/date on line 7.
    STEP 4 We'll also provide you with two fingerprint cards that you'll use to get your fingerprints done (it's usually easiest to get the prints done when you go to your local law enforcement agency's office in step 5).
    STEP 5 Take everything to your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) and have him/her sign on the back side of both copies of the ATF Form 4.
    STEP 6 We'll mail the whole packet, along with a $200 check from you (a one time fee that pays your transfer tax - also called "tax stamp") to the ATF.
    STEP 7 6-8 weeks later, when I get your approved paperwork back from the ATF, I can transfer the NFA item to you along with your ATF approved Form 4.

trust

STEP 1 We'll complete two copies of an ATF Form 4 for you (the only info we need from you is your full name, mailing address and county). You simply check a few boxes (to verify that you're 21 or older, not mentally defective, a drug addict, a fugitive from justice, etc.) and sign/date.
    STEP 2 We'll provide you with an ATF Form 5330.20, which simply verifies your citizenship status. You fill in lines 1 & 2, check the appropriate box on line 5 and sign/date on line 7.
    STEP 3 WE'LL ASSIST YOU IN DRAFTING UP YOUR TRUST and ensure that it's formatted correctly so that your paperwork won't get delayed or denied once it has been submitted.
    STEP 4 You sign your trust documents in front of a notary and have it notarized. You'll make a photocopy of the entire trust and send it back to us (so that we can submit it to the ATF along with your ATF Form 4). Store your original trust with your other important documents (mortgage, will, etc.).
    STEP 5 We'll mail the whole packet, along with a $200 check from you (a one time fee that pays your transfer tax - also called "tax stamp") to the ATF.
    STEP 6 6-8 weeks later, when I get your approved paperwork back from the ATF, I can transfer the NFA item to you along with your ATF approved Form 4.
    The TRUST is by far the easiest method of ownership. You'll spend 1/10th the time completing your paperwork if you use a TRUST (instead of INDIVIDUAL OWNERSHIP), because you won't need passport photos, fingerprint cards, or the CLEO's signature. There is no "down side" to a trust.
    I do not recommend ever going the CORPORATION route for NFA ownership. Businesses change and/or dissolve eventually (and then you'll have the hassle of dealing with your NFA items that are the property of the corporation). A TRUST or INDIVIDUAL OWNERSHIP will last your lifetime.
    If you have any questions about the process, please don't hesitate to call me and ask. My goal is to take the mystery out of it all and make it simple, easy and care free.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  15. Aaronb2245

Aaronb2245 G&G Newbie

Thank you for taking the mystery out of this process!

Aaron
  16. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

no problem just trying to help.
  17. ttwinsupra

ttwinsupra G&G Newbie

omg i had no idea you needed this tax stamp. i was going to buy a silencer on gunbroker for a p22. so let me get this straight do you need a tax stamp for this in every state and if you dont have one you cant get it transfered to you by an ffl? im glad i read this i may have been SOL if i had just bought one on gunbroker, $200 tax + $300 supressor is to much for me, lame! :sad2:
  18. tnmedic

tnmedic G&G Regular

Chief law enforcement officer, I know the local police chief since he is my fire chief as well. Would that work or would I need to go to the county sherriff instead? Sorry just a little confused is all. Thanks for the help. Later Medic
  19. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

you don't have to get either of them to sign anything .... read this thread.
  20. crotalus01

crotalus01 G&G Newbie

There is nothing you are opening yourself up to by getting an NFA firearm (or several).
    NO, the BATFE can NOT come knocking on your door to check on your toy(s) UNLESS you have an FFL (and even then only in certain conditions).
    NO, there are NO restrictions for taking a silencer across state lines as long as it is legal to possess in that state and you have your copy of the tax stamp with you (not to say you wont get fucked with by ignorant LEOs). Taking a MG, AOW, SBR or DD across state lines is a different story.

edit to add that silencers are perfectly legal in Mississippi and that your LEO lied to your face if he gave you that BS about asking the BATFE. Go the trust route and dont worry about the LEO...
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008