supreme 780 load data for 308win question

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gamehunter, Oct 27, 2011.

1. gamehunter

gamehunter G&G Enthusiast

just wanting to know if you guys have any data on winchester supreme 780 powder in your latest editions of loading manuals for 308win, 150gr bullet

Thanks in advance for the help
  2. gamehunter

also I forgot to say i am wanting to compare velocities against W748 before I decide which of the two powders I will buy I have settled on winchester due to the good results I have had in the past but want to know more about the newer powder performance wise.
  3. jwernecke

jwernecke G&G Newbie

4. gamehunter

This is why I specifically asked for data out of one of the latest books as the hodgdon site is not all that up to date with the newer winchester powders apart from the odd one or two calibers
  5. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

Since Winchester says that 780 has a burning rate similar to 4831, it is not suitable for .308. That is probably why you won't find data for it in the 308.

Accurate Arms 2520 is a spherical powder that works very well in the 308 Win.
  6. gamehunter

Over here in New Zealand our choice of brands is limited most shops carry ADI, Hodgdon, IMR, winchester and Vihtavouri (being the most expensive brand). IF we are lucky we find the occasional shop that stocks Alliant unfortunately accurate arms powder is not one of the ones available.

The store I deal with only stocks ADI(they make powder for hodgdon) and winchester if I want the other brands I have to travel more than an hour to get it as sellers are not allowed to ship powder to addresses over here.

I think I may just stick with my original idea of just getting 748 which I have used in the past, was just curious about data in published manuals not websites as winchester do make 308 ammo under the supreme label and it is used in calibers such as .243.

All I was wanting was someone to actually look in their latest releases of manufacturer manuals not referrals to sites where I have already looked as not all data is published online as right now I do not have $100NZ to buy a new edition manual from the local retailer. and my manuals are pre win780
  7. oneoldsap

oneoldsap G&G Regular

At the foot of the Green Mountains , Vermont
    If hodgdon powders are available , you should give Varget a try ! 780 is a large capacity Magnum powder . You will have a chore finding something better than 748 in the .308 . You aren't fixing something that isn't broke are you ?
  8. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I don't load much 150 gr. for the .308. I use win. 748 for that weight (it's my favorite powder for .223).

for .308 in 165 gr.,168 gr., and 180 gr. I use Win. 760. 100% case fill occurs at 47.5 gr. with 168 gr. Hornady bullets producing excellent results in accuracy. velocity is 2635 to 2650 fps depending on rifle used. I use my 168 gr. target data for the 165 gr. hunting loads.

Load data for the Win. 760 can be found in Hornady 3rd edition and Lyman #46 edition. the Win. 760 data has been removed from both manuals newer, later released editions for some reason. the powder is only listed for the 180 gr. projectiles in the newer manuals.

I've used this load for many years, but since it is no longer published, I was rather reluctant to give actual load data.

always work up any load from minimum for the combination of components you will be using.
  9. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

[ Over here in New Zealand our choice of brands is limited most shops carry ADI, Hodgdon, IMR, winchester and Vihtavouri (being the most expensive brand). IF we are lucky we find the occasional shop that stocks Alliant unfortunately accurate arms powder is not one of the ones available.]

How about ADI 2208? It is sold as Hodgdon Varget here in the US.
  10. gamehunter

Used 2208(varget) before in my last mossberg 308 and could not get any accuracy at all with it till I changed over to 748 and then I had so I think I will just stick with the win748, thanks for answering my original post guys.
  11. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

Just because one gun doesn't do well with a particular powder or bullet, doesn't mean another gun won't. There are no magic recipes.