Survival weapons

Discussion in 'Survival Discussions' started by maarten221, Dec 30, 2006.

1. maarten221

maarten221 G&G Newbie

What would you take if you were forced to leave your home in the city and were on foot?

Personally, because of space and commonality issues, I'd take a kel-tec carbine and a pistol chambered in the same calibre.
    Or maybe the 5.56mm kel-tec carbine?

What would you consider to be the ultimate firearms kit?

Thus far, this is what I have:
    Glock 19
    Kel-tec sub2k using G19 magazines
    .22 conversion for the G19
    500rds .22 ammo
    250 rounds 9mm
    4 magazines for the carbine, 2 for the pistol and 2 for the .22 conversion
  2. Pred

Pred Suspended

I was actually going to post something like this yesterday, however my thread would have been a little different. I was thinking along the lines of "If you only had one gun to take....", what would it be. I'm willing to bet the effective range of most shooters is between 0-500 yards. So, the question is, what one gun would work for this? A pistol would be fine for CQC, but beyond 50 yards? Sure a Remington or Savage bolt action in .308 would easily reach the 500 yard mark, but what about house to house? Shotgun is out. An AK, while it would work great for house to house and out to say, 150-200 yards, anything beyond that I wouldn't trust it. With that being said, I've only come up with a few weapons that will work. Two of them are a SOCOM M1A and a AR. .308 and .223 ammo can be found at any pawnshop, within most houses with guns, and inside most stores that have an outdoors section. Something else to think about is a Garand. Yes I know, its old, but it worked for our boys in WWII. While it is heavy, its also balanced, so dragging it around all day wouldn't be as bad as say a G3 or FAL(fullsized FAL, not the carbines). The .30-06 falls into the same category as the .308. All pawnshops, gun owners, and stores are likely to have a box or two somewhere. But back more to your question, for a handgun it would either be a Sig 226, Glock, or H&K in 9mm or .40. I myself wouldn't bother with .22. I've heard way to many stories of people being shot in the head at point blank range and the .22 round never enters their skull. If six rounds in the back of the head wont kill someone, I don't want it. Something else to consider is weight. Everything you have listed would drag you down a little, and even then whats the effective range of a .22? For me, I'd probably have to go with my AR and H&K USP .40. I'd say between 7-12 mags for the AR, and 4 or 5 mags for the USP. Also consider bandoliers, easy way to carry a lot of ammo.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  3. 29er savoy

29er savoy G&G Newbie

if i were forced to leave i would do so from an escape and evasion mind set. travel slow and quiet avoid contact go around possible trouble spots. as far as weapons go, a knife, my ruger single six with both cylinders 22lr and 22mag , and 12 ga pump with short barrel an extended mag. 200 rounds of 22lr and 22mag and 50 rounds of 12 ga #4buck and 10 slugs. shooting it out with the bad guys and blazing away only has 1 draw back chances are you'll get hit or wacked.
  4. Jay68442

Jay68442 G&G Newbie

If I was forced to leave today I would have to go with my ak and my .45 defender. Of all the guns I own these two have proven to be the most reliable and I happen to have 500 rounds for the ak and about 200 for the .45. The other guns I have I don't use that often and really don't stock up rounds for them.
  5. ash

ash G&G Regular

Carbon 15
    Baby eagle 9MM
    Kimber pro carry .45
    And one of my .357's
  6. Pred

Pred Suspended

Can someone answer me why a person would want a .22 as their last line of defense?
  7. ash

ash G&G Regular

Light gun.
    No recoil (Most people that can speak are physically able to fire it).
    Ammo is cheap so stocking up isn't a problem.
    30 or 50 round clips are readily available and relatively inexpensive.
    Good out to 100 yards with the right ammo.
    Simple to operate.

Did I forget anything?
  8. Pred

Pred Suspended

Maybe its because I was always taught that if you have to fire at someone or something, don't give it/them the chance to either get away or to retaliate against you. IMO, a .22 gives this opportunity to whatever your shooting at. In CQC, you have almost no hope whatsoever of bringing down a human size target with a single round. Theres no penetration so firing at something behind even the littlest of cover could easily yield no results. It seems it would only get worse as the range grew further away. Maybe I'm really underestimating the capabilities of a .22 round. But as I said before, when you read stories of a mad husband who fires a .22 into the back of his wifes head 5 and 6 times, and she survives, it just seems any advantages of the round get thrown out the window. And I hope you get what I'm saying, because to me, a survival weapon must be able to stop any and all enemies within a reasonable range(out to 300 yards at least, to be safe more like 500 yards IMHO).
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  9. Dallas

Dallas PUKHA DAWG

Virginia, just outside of Washington D.C.
    .357 revolver
    12 guage shotgun
    30-30 winchester
  10. ash

ash G&G Regular

You are underestimating the .22 (used correctly of course)
    Your also not taking into account shot placement.
    And 50 to 100 yards is a reasonable range for a rifle. Any further and you shouldn't be giving away your location.
  11. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

If it comes down to brass tacks, I go with the Rem 870 12 gauge shotgun (20 inch barrel, folding stock, got lots of ammo!) and my .45ACP Colt. If I'm bugging out by bike, I add the .223 Bushmaster M17S. A .22LR pistol rides in a shoulder holster for small game if needed.
    Where I haul buggy to, there's no need for 'long range' capabilities. :scool:
  12. Beer Forever

Beer Forever G&G Newbie

M4 and the 1911. If I had an AR-10 I would take that instead of the AR-15.

[​IMG]
  13. Pred

Pred Suspended

I'm with you SKS. I'm thinking an AR with some type of high cap handgun would be perfect to bug out with. An AR-10 or a SOCOM M1A would work too.
  14. maarten221

maarten221 G&G Newbie

In a situation where you have to bug out in SHTF, I think it unlikely that you will take any shots past 200 yards. That's why I opted for my 9mm combo and .22 conversion. The .22 gives me the option of taking small game for a VERY extended period of time - without too much noise. The 9mm Carbine is very small and can be hidden in a pack. It makes you less of a target when walking around, yet it can reach out to 150 if you have the right ammunition for it.
    The key to survival in a hostile environment when you are outnumbered, is to lay low, evade and get out of dodge. Shooting it out with a bunch of thugs at 150 yards in thick forest, when I could have avoided them, isn't my idea of survival - you'll end up dead pretty fast, I think.
    The 30-30 mentioned is also great - it is less initimidating and most people won't take a second look at it, ditto for the M1.
    I like my AR's a lot, but they are simply too bulky to hide in the truck.
  15. 29er savoy

29er savoy G&G Newbie

well said maarten221
  16. Pred

Pred Suspended

I realize a SHTF situation will be different on some levels for most people. But take my hometown. About 8,000 people in the county with a lot of open farm land. So for me, 200, 300, even 400+ yard shots are almost guaranteed. Something else to think about, how many hunters live near by? Chances are they will have a high powered rifle that will make your .22 useless if they decide they want what you have, same with the 9mm. And regarding the 9mm, what is the right ammo? How easily will you be able to find it? If thats the case, those few hundred rounds become much more important then before. And on a quiet day, a .22 can still be heard a ways off. And the difference between a .223 or .308 might make someone think twice about "checking" it out.

Again, while you are right to say evade, having a .223 or a .308 compared to an .22 doesn't mean your options change, and you have to shoot it out each time. But if it comes to that, are you comfortable depending on something like a Ruger 10/22 to fend off multiple attackers? I think you misunderstood what I said, if you think I meant attack attack attack.

An M4 with a collapsible stock doesn't take up THAT much room. A 10/22 is 37" long and weights about 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 lbs. A M4 weights 2lbs more and is actually 7" shorter with the stock collapsed.
  17. dogboy22

dogboy22 G&G Newbie

I think it really depends on your location and where you're evading to. If you're in a heavily-populated area it's better to have a more concealable gun, like the 9mm carbine. And if you're in farmlands, you would want something of a larger caliber. The 9mm carbine is also lighter, so if you had to go a long way, it would be less of a burden than an AR. The .22's best use would be for hunting small game. The good thing about having two defensive weapons utilizing the same ammo and magazines is that there aren't as many different things to keep up with. And if you had to scavenge for ammo, wouldn't you prefer to only look for one type of ammo?
  18. Beer Forever

Beer Forever G&G Newbie

In the event of a SHTF scenario, I would want something that destroys what I need it to. I don't want to have to worry about being under powered and being concealed, I would want to stay alive. If you guys would rather have .22s and 9s insted of .308 and .45, go for it, but only the strong survive the zombie invasion.:scool:
  19. Choco

Choco G&G Newbie

A 12 gauge shot gun, and .22 LR semi-auto rifle for me,and possibly a .30-30.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  20. Pred

Pred Suspended

Uh huh, I knew that was coming :werd: