Synthetic SKS pig gun?

Discussion in 'SKS' started by mavrik36, Jul 8, 2011.

1. mavrik36

mavrik36 G&G Newbie

hello, this is my first post here and i am new to forums in general so let me know if im doing anything wrong. i recently noticed a SKS with synthetic furniture and a extended magazine in my local gun shop priced at 250$. i have been looking for a good pig gun so i can go hunting with my uncle this fall and also i would like to have a gun that fires cheap ammunition. for this price is it a good buy?
  2. Brandhard

Brandhard G&G Enthusiast

If it is in good condition, good rifling, it's a great deal. Just remember that the extended magazines have a bad reputation for not feeding properly. I don't have enough experience with them to make a personal judgement. But you may find it to your advantage to put the original mag back in, something you may have to do to comply with hunting regulations in your state anyway. I don't know where you plan to hunt, but many states have a 5 round or ten round maximum for hunting. Also, the SKS has a free floating firing pin, so if you fire commercial hunting ammo, if has a tendancy to slam fire. There are kits out there to rememedy this, but it is something that you will want to remember. This is something that I do have personal experience with. I cannot fire commercial ammo in my SKS.
    All that being said, people have been paying more than 250 for SKS's lately, so I wouldn't feel a bit shy to spend that on it.
  3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

What Joe said, especially about changing the SKS back to a 10 round integral magazine. The SKS is one of the best all-around rifles ever designed. It's been said with some justice that if General Simonov's design had gone into production during World War II instead of just after the war, when historians argue about which was the best infantry rifle of World War II, the two finalists would be the M-1 Garand and the SKS.

Load it up up with softpoint hunting ammo, and you can deal with any wild pig you encounter with confidence that one round will "git 'r done."
  4. mavrik36

mavrik36 G&G Newbie

thanks for the advice, im in NC and also plan to hunt in GA, but ill see about getting the standard 10rd magazine with the gun, thanks again
  5. rando

rando G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

That sounds like a good deal on the SKS. If its in good condition with a nice bore then thats a really good buy. The SKS,s are really expensive now. Like the other members were saying, try to find the original 10 round clip. They are available from several vendors.
  6. H-BAR

H-BAR G&G Newbie

i'm always a little leary about buying any rifle that didn't come in it's original stock. if it's China fiberglass, that's one thing, but not to many people i've known have gotten rid of an SKS, especially one they've doctored up unless they wanted an AKS to begin with and made a poor choice in trading the latter for it! LOL!

make sure to look over the bore and check the rifling, as well as everything else before laying down close to top dollar on a rifle that might be abused! then again, the owner might not have liked all the failure to feeds he had with that aftermarket hi-cap and blamed the rifle. especially in aftermarket stocks, and depending on country of origin, they tend to sit to low to allow consistent feeding, so as was mentioned, you'll want to find an original 10 rnd fixed mag, or as was also stated if law requires, the 5 round conversion floor plate or stop. that said i've taken dozens of black bear with my 1952 Russian SKS, and it's a perfect close cover hog rifle with euro soft tip ammo. stay away from full metal jacket missurp stuff unless your target shooting into a good backstop, ground shooting at hogs and FMJ's usually leads to ricochets!

when it comes to Missurps lately i've noticed a bad trend even on normally honest dealers trying to milk every cent they can out of the SHTF "build a cheap arsenal" crowd, and the rising prices for anything Russian proves this, the dealers have access to you-tube to! LOL!
  7. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

the SKS is an excellent deer & hog rifle. heres a picture of one of mine. I use the Bear or Wolf soft points. in Fl. we are limited to 5 rounds. I was lucky enough to find a 5 rd mag that works. the afer market mags are the only problem with an SKS. all 3 of my Yugos like the Tapco 20 round but they are too high capacity to be legal to hunt with.

Attached Files:

• 1541.jpg
      1541.jpg
      File size:
      534.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Brandhard

Brandhard G&G Enthusiast

Yes, I happen to like the original furniture better myself. I had a cheap ATI folder on my SKS when I bought it, but it came with a wooden stock and sling thrown in, I put them back on. But if he doesn't like the plasti-crap furniture, the originals can be had for 20 bucks and shipping. And if he does like it, he's saved himself buying it, as someone has already done it for him!

Well, I just looked, and Sarco doesn't have them listed in the latest Shotgun News, so they may be a little harder to find now...
  9. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Like they said, check your state laws. They also make 5 round magazines for SKS's.
  10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Yet my Yugo absolutely refused to work with them. They turned it into a single shot instead of a semi.
  11. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

there seems to be no rhime or reason why after market mags work or not in a SKS. I have some that will work only in a particular rifle and I have some that will work in all 3 of mine. and a big pile that won't work in any!