tactical 500?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tlarkin, Mar 20, 2008.

1. tlarkin

tlarkin Suspended

So, I think I found the shotgun I want to buy. After playing the new Rainbow Six Vegas 2 video game I really have a liking for the FN Tactical 500 combat shotgun. I have been shredding terrorists with it, haha.

So, did some browsing and it seems like Mossberg makes a Tactical 500. Anyone own any of these? The SPAS 12ga and the FN are a bit more pricey, but what are the differences? Also, what are my stock options? I like the folding stock on the shottys.

This would be for home protection and for shooting targets. My current guns will fire a round over a mile in distance, and can penetrate through walls. I live in the city and would hate to possibly injure anyone else defending myself. A shot gun won't travel to my neighbors house, they don't penetrate as much as the guns I own.

I currently, do not own a shot gun at all. I would probably want 12ga, something standard with all kinds of cheap ammo available.

Thoughts? Suggestions and feedback from people who own a Tactical 500?

I do like how the FN model shoguns have the rail system for add ons like flash lights or laser sights or what not. Would it be worth the few extra bucks to get an FN over a Mossberg? I have not found a Mossberg model that has the folding stock or the rail system, can those be added after market?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

I had a mossberg 500 tactical for a little while and it was fun, but i just didn't feel a need for it at the time, now of course i wish i had it again. i personally don't really think a folding stock is necessary. The one i had had an 8 round tube, handguard, and i think 20 In. barrel. I got it at a gunshow for 100 bucks. Very cheap, fun. well worth it. If you want somethin that will get the job done and is pretty reliable go with the mossberg. Like i said, you can get one cheap, and if you want ad ons such as rails and stuff you can find them.
  3. tlarkin

tlarkin Suspended

thanks for the advice. Where do I look up of the aftermarket add ons you can toss on the mossberg? You got like a catalog I can order or a website?

Thanks again. The mossberg definitely looks attractive for the price, but if I can spend a few dollars more and get what I want stock it may be better to do so.
  4. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

+1 on the Mossberg model 500 in tactical. Or the Remington 870. Both have after market add ons available. Mossberg has the JIC ( Just In Case )series. Only thing there is they only come with pistol grip stock. But again, with the after market stuff out there, one could easily add a collapsible stock to that or with a pistol grip.
  5. tlarkin

tlarkin Suspended

OK, I will look into the after market options for the mossberg. I mean the price on the mossberg is really attractive, but for like $200 more I can get a FN that has it all stock. Well, a used FN that is according to what I saw on gunbroker.com.

I guess I could do it like that old Johny Cash song, one piece at a time....
  6. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

Google shopping: "Mossberg 500 accessories" you will find all you want
  7. GlockMeister

Check out the Mossberg JIC series also.
    O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Make sure to click on more models, upper right corner.

Then to, there's the special purpose series. Again, click on the more models options.
    O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

In fact, check out item# 50420 from the above link. Has everything you want, on it stock from Mossberg. This one. $363.00 from bidsgunshop.com.
    Mossberg 50420 500SP 12 18 6SH CB TACT SYN for Sale at Buds Gun Shop
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  8. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

JIC looks good Glock! gunbroker has a few not too badly priced either. should be great for self defense i would just like a regular rear stock better so it can be used more easily at the range and what not also
  9. tlarkin

tlarkin Suspended

10. GlockMeister

Don't forget to add in any delivery charges and or transfer fees.

The link to the Mossberg # 50420 is the closest to it I think. Plus, if down the road you decide to change something on the Mossberg, you could, where as the FN, I don't think there's much available after market wise.
  11. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

I got the Mossberg Persuader 8-shot, 20" barrel myself this past December. Still waiting to get the add-ons I want, but a pistol grip with topfold stock is definitely on the list.

It ran me about $250.00 new, with a synthetic stock.

These things are infinitely customizable. You name it, you can likely find it. Heat shield, flashlight, bayonet lug, sights, shotshell holders, and all sorts of stocks.

Breakdown is easy as pie. You end up with about 10 pieces and you need one tool, or a skinny stick. You just push out a peg holding the trigger assembly on and the rest goes quickly.

Insofar as I know, the basic Mossberg 500 body can be turned into almost any configuration you like. The one in the pic on Gunbroker looks like mine except for the accessories. It's a great "kit" shotgun. I know I have plans for mine, when I save up a lil'.

- Coeloptera
  12. tlarkin

tlarkin Suspended

I think you just sold me....

Thanks for your input its appreciated

##EDIT##

Yeah I think you sold me, did some google searching, check out this cool stuff I found!

MidwayUSA - Mesa Tactical Receiver Mount Picatinny Rail Tall Profile Mossberg 500 Aluminum Matte

MidwayUSA - Mesa Tactical High Tube Telescoping Stock Adapter with Rail Mossberg 500, 590, 835 Aluminum Matte

M-3/M-5 Mossberg 500 Tactical Mount - 69908 from Streamlight-Flashlights.com

Mossberg 500 12Ga Tactical Forearm w/Accessory Rail & Vertical Grip New

MOSSBERG 500 590 835 TACTICAL FOLDING STOCK & FOREND - eBay (item 350038646357 end time Apr-19-08 08:00:00 PDT)

Yeah, you are totally right, it is one of the most customizable build your own shotgun, shotgun. I think mossberg just got my money. Now to find a killer deal. Also, whats up with the different barrels on some? They are rigged and have openings for the muzzle flash I assume.

local gun show next weekend, I think I may take a few bucks and go browse the shotguns down there and see if I can't find a great deal on a Mossberg 500 tactical.

What should I look for on a used shotgun? I have never purchased a used shotgun before, but have purchased used hand guns and rifles.

Thanks for all the input
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

Well, the usual stuff, of course: corrosion, cracks in the stock, scoring on the inside of the barrel, making sure if you get a rifled barrel it's not full of gunk, see if it has any damage at the end from an improperly used choke, make sure the slide works smoothly, the elevator isn't bent, the bolt isn't gunky, the spring for the magazine is tight but not too tight, and it doesn't hurt to take a snap cap or empty shell to make sure it feeds properly. That can be a problem I've seen occasionally, the shells don't eject properly and get stuck inside the chamber. I'm not sure what causes it, though. Not exactly. Oh, and make sure you can manually unload it too without any problems. Oh! And the slide release, make sure that's smooth as well. Check the safety...the usual stuff. I can't think of anything special or different about checking a shotgun. mechanically they're pretty simple, overall.

- Coeloptera
  14. tlarkin

tlarkin Suspended

Hmm, shotguns have rifled barrels? Would that be for a slug then?
  15. LarryO1970

LarryO1970 G&G Enthusiast

Shotguns CAN have rifled barrels... this is not to say they all will or have them available.

Secondly... avoid the SPAS-12... bad history of jams. They look cool, but how cool can a paperweight look?

In addition, take a look at the Benelli M2 Tactical ...
  16. tlarkin

tlarkin Suspended

Thanks for the tip on the SPAS. I haven't fired a lot of shotguns in my lifetime. I fired a couple of 12ga double barrels, and a 12ga pump before. Nothing fancy, bird hunting shotguns is what they were.

Benellis look very nice, not sure if I am really wanting to spend that much on a gun though. I mean if you want to buy me one go ahead hahaha.

All I see on gunbroker at the moment is the M4, which was going for over 1k, USD. That is not what I am looking to spend. If I was retarded rich, hey no problem Bernelli's for everyone, but unfortunately I am not.
  17. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

mossburg 500 , remington 870 , 11-87 , benellis are also good , but nothing beats the 11-87 or for a tight fit moss burg 500
  18. LarryO1970

LarryO1970 G&G Enthusiast

I agree with knightRider... go for a Remington 870 or 1187, good guns, not as expensive.
  19. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

Tsk...I said if you get a rifled barrel.

But the Remington 870 is also good. I just happen to prefer the Mossberg 500, personally.

- Coeloptera
  20. GlockMeister

ME 2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^