Taurus Model 62 Lever Action

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dan22, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Enthusiast

Is Taurus the only company that makes a western style Lever action .22 in Stainless Steel?

It’s a beauty and I want one.

Attached Files:

2. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Enthusiast

Happy Taurus owner!

Nice looking Taurus! I just picked up a .22 mag pump carbine (model 73?) in stainless steel, just outta the box my boy loaded it up and was busting target's first shot and each shot after, no messing with sights a sweet handling little carbine, the gun dealer quit stocking the .22 lr as he couldent move them now just stocks the .22 mags in rifle & carbine
    I couldent get over the price landed in NW Alaska a .22mag for less than $300 in stainless steel! a + along the coast
    I think the lever would be just as sweet as the pump!
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  3. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Enthusiast

Hi Rex in Sarah land,

I have the Rossi .22 pump in blue steel that is a sweetheart, as is my early Winchester 9422 but I have the hots for a stainless steel .22.

Taurus makes copies of the Winchester pump and auto but that lever just rings my chimes. Truth be told I’d love to have all three in stainless.
  4. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Enthusiast

I looked at the pump & its a model 72, 62's are for .22lr anf 72's are for the .22mag I recon.
    On the Taurus thread there is a good illistration of our stainless pump!
  5. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Enthusiast

Yup, Rossi called it’s .22 LR copy of the original Winchester .22 model-62 a Rossi model-59.

Taurus got it right when they called their .22LR a model-62 also.

Since Winchester didn’t make a 62 in .22 Magnum I guess calling it a model-72 is the way to go.

Since Winchester never had a model-62 Lever Action it was dreamed up by Taurus to take advantage of the basic pump mechanism. I think they did an awesome job of making a Winchester like lever action that Winchester should have done. It has lovely, graceful lines and the only change I’d make would be to shorten the barrel back to the end of the feeder tube.

For many years Winchester cranked out lever-actions in all kinds of center fire calibers but they ignored the .22. Marlin was the one that made a high quality lever .22 for many years and I’d love to have the Mountie variant.

Call me cheap but I’ve had a few .22 Magnum pistols and find the price of magnum ammo nuts compared to regular old .22 Long Rifle ammo which can often be purchased at sale prices. Except for more noise and kick I really can’t hit targets any better than with my .22 guns.

One more thing. I hope Taurus makes a Winchester model-61 copy some day. Talk about a classic beauty....

That would give us the whole family of popular Winchester copies like grandpa and his friends used to use to shoot woodchucks, squirrels, rabbits and crows that were so pesky around the farm.
  6. scoutman

scoutman G&G Newbie

that is one nice gun

i would almost prefer that one to a marlin 39a