the cheapest gun you have ever seen

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by sum1_special, Mar 14, 2005.

1. sum1_special

sum1_special G&G Newbie

hey guys, just curious. what is the lowest priced gun you have ever seen for sale? it could be at a gun show, a pawn shop, wherever. give me a couple of details about what it was exactly. heck, while im at it... here is another question, what was the best deal you ever had/seen on a firearm?

we'll start with me. when i was a kid, I remember seeing a small smith and wesson revolver, in great condition, at a garage sale for $20! apparently the gun belonged to some rebellious teenager that wound up in jail(my mom asked :rolleyes: ). and his mother wanted to get rid of it before he came home. the lady was going to throw it out until she figured she'd rather sell it. hehe, i doubt she knew what the heck she was doing :insane:. unfortunately though, i was too young to own something like this back then and my mother wasnt too keen on guns. i remember opting for the the kid's gibson guitar instead :nod:. sure like to meet the lucky Bast*rd that got ahold of that gun!

:jaw:
  2. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

$19 for Turkish Mauser rifles.
  3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

4. gunssb

gunssb G&G Newbie

There used to be a time (not too long ago from what I've read) when you did indeed get turkish mausers that cheap. Someone told me that they used to go for $40 not too long ago. I'm just starting out as a C&R collector but haven't found a good price on them yet - they'd make great projects. The lowest I've seen is a used hi-point 9mm for $90. I guess this thread should be titled cheapest value ? i.e. given what the dollar could buy during a certain time - the older guys will tell you about 1911s for $20 I guess :rolleyes: I came across an ad for the spanish astra for $19 from a long time ago but as PAPA G pointed out they were making a lot money less than you would now so it's all relative.
  5. Dennis

Dennis G&G Enthusiast

not to long ago a buddy and I walked in to a uppity gun shop.
    we where goofing off from moveing at the time.
    after convincing the proprietor that I knew a little something about firearms, I asked if he had any old broken guns that he could sell cheap.
    He did.
    he sold me an old JC Higgins 12 gage that had seem WAY better days for 20 bucks.
    The wrist of the stock had been broken and repaired with bondo
    the action bars where bent up and several other problems that I easily addressed later.
    I repaired the old gun and gave it to the guy that I was with.
    it was his first firearm ever.

he still has it to this day.

allways keep yourself open to good things happening.
  6. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I bought my Italian-made Tanfoglio .22 Magnum western-style revolver from a range buddy for $25. Shot like crap at first, then I changed the sights on it - now it's a good shooter. It's the Grandaddy of the current Heritage Roughrider, and a solid little gun. Turned out to be a great buy! :)
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  7. troylaplante

troylaplante G&G Newbie

I saw a used Lorcin (enough said) in a pawn shop for $60. Don't remember what caliber...then again, it didn't matter to me, since I wasn't about to buy it.
  8. DANA

DANA G&G Newbie

Every couple of years I put a add in the paper and on TV that I will pay $10 for any firearm. All sorts of things turn up. My best is a conversion of a Krag to a 22 Hornet and a full box of ammo.

DANA
  9. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

about three years ago with almost every importer
  10. stash_stan

stash_stan G&G Newbie

Cheapest gun

Cheapest gun I ever bought was purchased in 1962 from P&S sales in Tulsa,OK. It was a Mosin-Nagant 7.62 x 54mm rifle. When I got it the stock looked like it had been used for a club for the last 50 years. I sanded down and refinished the stock, and the barrel was still as clean as the day it was made. Total price for this beauty was $9.95! Best deal I ever got!!! Stash-stan :cool:
  11. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

I don't recall the make but a friend had a 22 handgun for sale a couple years ago - $20.00, still thought it was too much. It had a flip out cylinder like a conventional revolver - but it only held one round and the cylinder didn't revolve. I thought it was a starter pistol - but the barrel wasn't blocked. The cylinder was so loose if you didn't hold it in place it wouldn't line up with the barrel and lots of lead shards would cut your hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My son has toys built better then that POS.

It may have been a "converted" starter's pistol and I didn't want anything to do with it.
  12. Oxford

Oxford G&G Enthusiast

The cheapest gun I bought was a Colt 1911A1 .45 pistol for $18.75 in 1962. Bought it through the NRA as a military surplus item. :nod:
  13. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

was this a "western style" looking handgun??? it sounds like Savages model 101 pistol, only made for a few years in the late 50's early 60's. price killed it...so i have read. for what Savage charged for them, one could find a deal on a regular revolver. :)
  14. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The cheapos can be good guns! The cheapest I ever bought at a store was my bubba'd M43 Spanish Mauser - $47 at K-mart in 1976! I still have it, and it's a decent shooter. Still need a good stock to put it in. Had it in a shortened Brazilian '08 stock, and it looked good - but I botched it installing that stupid FAC "No gunsmithing" scope mount. Those four slots int he stock look so ugly . . .
    Absolute cheapest gun I ever got - the Mosin-Nagant 91/30 a buddy gave me for refinishing his other one! Can't beat that deal! :cool:
  15. DANA

DANA G&G Newbie

Ox. Also got a M1 Carbine and a 1911 Colt through the NRA. Passed on the Springfield, Krag, and M1 Garand. But then came the CMP program and not bad deals.

DANA
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  16. Bookman

Bookman G&G Enthusiast

Webley .38 S&W top-break revolver, war issue, for $25 back in 1980.

You could probably buy the same gun today for 70 bucks.
  17. Maurice

Maurice G&G Newbie

My cheapest Gun

Bought new at White Front store for $5.97 in Sacramento, California, about 1964. I still have it It has shot one box of 22 shorts but I don't think it will survive another box. Shooting double action, it spits lead out one side. Cylinder does not completely line up with the barrel. Made in Germany.

I also bought a British 303 in Los Angles in 1959 for $7.50. It still works good. They had a barrel full of them on sale at this surplus store. No problem buying long guns then.
  18. Maurice

Maurice G&G Newbie

My cheapest Guns

Bought new at White Front store for $5.97 in Sacramento, California, about 1964. I still have it It has shot one box of 22 shorts but I don't think it will survive another box. Shooting double action, it spits lead out one side. Cylinder does not completely line up with the barrel. Made in Germany.

I also bought a British 303 in Los Angles in 1959 for $7.50. It still works good. They had a barrel full of them on sale at this surplus store. No problem buying long guns then.
  19. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Maurice I remember that store, it was in d'town "Old Sac Gun's" Welcome to G&G
  20. Rockh0und

Rockh0und G&G Newbie

I was actually in a local pawn shop today and started talking guns with the owner. He took me in the back and offered me 6 boxes full of gun parts for $40. Scope mounts, a barreled action from a marlin .22 that I might have a stock for already, and I saw at least 5 shotgun recievers for pump and semi-autos. There were a couple of shotgun barrels too. Not actually guns yet but I'm sure they all will be for next to nothing. Stocks are pretty easy to come by, and for the ones I can't buy, I've got lots of walnut in the lumber rack. I didn't have any cash on me but he said he'd hold it till Monday. As far as the cheapest whole gun I ever bought, I got a Para Ordinance 9mm for $45 from a guy who said "it just quit working". Once I got into it I saw that he had ground on the sear. (trying to go full auto?) I fixed it for about 2 bucks.