the truth about Tula's

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Link23, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Link23

Link23 G&G Newbie

okay i might not know everything about mosins.....or anything about them at all, so what is the fuss about the tulas? i mean can someone give me some history on them and are they worth more or what? i know it was a diffrent arsenal but thats about it
  2. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Good question and I'm interested in hearing the answear. I got a 91/30 1931 Tula for sale...AH
  3. LeftHandShooter

LeftHandShooter G&G Enthusiast

They are worthless. If it is a Tula it means it is squat, but, as your friend, I'll give you $50 to take it off your hands and save you the embarassment of owning it.
  4. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Thanks Mark !!! But you'll have to add another $50.00 dollars to your offer because mine is Haunted so that makes it worth a little more...:09:
  5. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

i dont know about differences between the different factories, but i would think that they would be small. I do however feel that the pre-war models are probably little bit better in terms of crasftmanship and quality control. Whether this is true or not, who knows.
  6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

People sometimes prefer Tulas as there were less made. Also, it's easier to pronounce, LOL !!
  7. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

Here is what I know. There are a some things to look for in Mosins. This will increse the value in the future if you are collecting Mosin Nagant rifles.

Tula rifles have a Star with an arrow inside it. Found on the reciever or barrel. The star can be found on other parts as well. Tula rifles have a higher collector appeal because they were manufactured one year less than Issys and in lower numbers. Hex receivers are usually in more demand because they are older and are thought to be stronger. One of the higher collector Tulas is dated 1941 with a round receiver due to low production numbers that year.

Izhevsk is recognized by a bow hammer and sickle surrounded by grape wreaths on the receiver. These are the most common 91/30’s seen today but a round receiver Izhevsk dated 1935 or 1945 are some of the more desired collector rifles.

Some people think that Tula is manufactured better than an Izzy. I think there may be some value to this. They do seem to be finished a little better. Which isnt saying much for war time rifles which seem to have little to no finishing or polishing work done to them.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  8. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

You did not specify type of rifle so I guess I better tell about the M44's as well.
    Tula only made M44's in 1944. They mainly made them in hex recievers.
    However examples of round recievers do exist. I know some 1943 M44's were made by Tula as well but they are very rare.

The Tula arsenal made about 50,000 M44's. Izhevsk made about 7.5 million M44's. So you can see why Tula is more sought after compared to Izzys.
  9. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

Mainly, there are less Tula made rifles floating around, so they're more collectible. I don't think they shoot any better.
  10. Pathfinder57

Pathfinder57 G&G Newbie

At local guns within the past 2 years all I have seen is one Tula M91/30 these rest were all Izhevsk.
  11. Vintovka

Vintovka G&G Newbie

Tulas are definitely harder to find, and are indeed rarer according to 7.62x54r.net

i've been thinking about Tulas a lot lately. i'll probably start looking for them at the gun shows, see if i find anything worthwhile
  12. RedbaronX71

RedbaronX71 G&G Newbie

when you think about the fact that both factories are government-owned military factories in a Communist country, the manufacturing and quality control differences and are going to be pretty minimal between the two, at least when you are comparing similar years to each other-- a war-time round receiver Tula is possibly a lower quality piece than a peacetime hex Izshevsk, even if that difference is small.
  13. waterdog

waterdog G&G Newbie

they damn well don't shoot any better.
  14. Link23

Link23 G&G Newbie

so is that it? thats the only diffrence, there are just fewer of them?
  15. RedbaronX71

RedbaronX71 G&G Newbie

yeah, pretty much.
  16. Capt.Hotpants

Capt.Hotpants G&G Regular

Tula isn't really rare or uncommon when it comes to m91/30s. Tula really only matters when your talking about carbines (or oddball year m91/30s). Tula m38s are not very common nor are m44s. Tula only made m44s in 1944 for a very short time totaling up to 100,000 thats it. Izhevsk made an even shorter run in 43 and only made 50,000 but after that short run they kicked it full swing. 1943 Izhevsk M44s are very valuable.

Now when it comes to the Nagant revolver its the opposite. Tula made a LOT of nagant revolvers but Izhevsk was focused on other things so they didnt make as many.

The quality thing is kinda even between the two factories. Ive got pre war rifles from each factory and the quality is identical.

I wouldn't pay more for a Tula unless it was uncommon or a carbine. I personally like the round receivers more than the Hex receivers they look cleaner. There's not much of a difference in strength between the 2.
  17. Ken in Iowa

Ken in Iowa G&G Enthusiast

Russian/Soviet M91 production;

Tula 4,388,242
    Izhevsk 1,486,236
    Sestroryetsk 621,000
    Chatellerault 503,539

Did I hear someone say that Tulas are more rare?

Russian Soviet Mosin Nagant Numbers
  18. Teknique

Teknique G&G Newbie

your info is regarding M91's not M91/30's

the website you list doesn't specify what arsenal made how many 91/30's, just the total made. Though I can assure you tula made less :)
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  19. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Something to consider: at one point during Operation Barbarossa, the Nazis advanced to within artillery range of the arsenal at Tula on the Eastern Front. I strongly suspect that some of the 1941 Tula Model 91/30s went straight from the production line into the hands of Red Army infantrymen who needed them badly, given the situation at the time.
  20. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

Very interesting.