There is NO Romanian Dragunov!

Discussion in 'AK47' started by BattleRifleG3, Jan 24, 2006.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

For years people have been advertising a "Romanian Dragunov." That rifle is in fact NOT a Dragunov in any way, having nothing in common but the stock style, general shape and size, and 7.62x54R chambering (and both also in a more rare 308 version).

The true names for these rifles include FPK, PSL, ROMAK 3, and others. They are based on the RPK action, a heavier version of the AK used as a light machine gun but also the basis for the highly accurate VEPR rifles and a few Yugoslavian models.

It used to be only the dealers and distributors that were falsely labelling these rifles "Dragunovs", but now even the importers are marking them as "Dragunovs" right on the rifles.

Friends, THESE ARE NOT DRAGUNOVS. Dragunovs are a completely different design of rifle from the AK, while these Romanians are most certainly larger variants of the AK.

Now for the good news - THESE ARE ALSO VERY GOOD RIFLES. Military and civilian alike have compared these with real Dragunov rifles and have found them to be equally good. The only notable limitation of these rifles is that they should be fired withammunition in the 150gr range, not heavier such as the 175gr. This is damaging to the action.

Perhaps the biggest difference to the American buyer is the price. Real Dragunovs range from the low 1000s for a sporting model called the TIGR, while Chinese and Russian versions can go well over 2 and 3 thousand, as they are NO LONGER IMPORTED. FPK/PSL/Romak-IIIs, still imported, range in the high three digits, and usually include an appropriate scope. From the best price of $600 without a scope to just under a grand for complete packages in harder to reach places or locales with high overhead and low sales volumes, these are well priced ALTERNATIVEs to a Dragunov, but they are NOT the same thing.

Labelling them as Dragunovs has been at best an honest mistake and at worst an outright lie. Buyers be aware. But don't be afraid to buy a Romanian rifle labeled "Dragunov" for a reasonable price.
  2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

We know...
  3. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

SGN had an article about this about 3 years ago
  4. BattleRifleG3

Unfortunately the subject keeps coming up so I figured it was worthy of a sticky.
  5. FutureMarine

FutureMarine G&G Newbie

Are they still quality rifles though?
  6. BattleRifleG3

Absolutely, and worth every bit of $600-800.
  7. FutureMarine

FutureMarine G&G Newbie

out of curiosity, can anyone tell me why they are NOT legal in California? They are 10 rds semi auto! Is it because it RESEMBLES an AK?
  8. BattleRifleG3

Pretty much.
  9. grndesert

grndesert G&G Newbie

"The only notable limitation of these rifles is that they should be fired with ammunition in the 150gr range, not heavier such as the 175gr. This is damaging to the action". BattleRifleG3
    So only use 150gr bullets.I've never heard that.I have a Romak III and,ive
    shot about 5 or 6 rds,of surplus ammo through it. Just to make sure it would fire.I was thinking about buying some match grade ammo for it.So it "HAS" to
    be no more than 150gr bullet???? What happens to the action if you use
    a larger grain bullet?
  10. FutureMarine

FutureMarine G&G Newbie

i think after time it just wears it out
  11. BattleRifleG3

I believe it can actually cause some parts breakage.

If you've fired surplus ammo in it I hope you've used cleaning agents that neutralize the corrosive primers.
  12. waltham41

waltham41 G&G Newbie

I own a kit built Romak 3, built by TG International with romanian parts , marked Draganov by the way, and have heard in a lot of different boards that anything over 150gr puts stress on the bolt and bolt carrier during recoil.

I use corrosive surplus ammo, and clean it twice after firing, using Hoppes #9 and have not had any problems with rust or corrosion. Have only fired a couple of thousand rounds through it though.

Great rifle for the price.
  13. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Classic Arms Inc. Currently has a few of these for $770 with accessories!!! I'd say it's a really great deal and I'd jump on it if I had the expendable cash. :sad2:
  14. BattleRifleG3

Unfortunately, even the importers are mislabelling these excellent rifles as Dragunovs, forcing dealers to record them as such even when they're no such thing.

They're an AK based sniper rifle. The Dragunov is a completely independent platform.
  15. GunRangeSniper

GunRangeSniper G&G Newbie

150 Grain 7.62x54R

Wolf is now offering a 150 grain, BRASS CASED round at a good price. It's true, the heavier stuff tears the ROMAK-3 up. It has even bent the cover from slamming the action back so hard.
  16. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

My Russian Tiger will eat anything put thru it....and It is Now worth about 2500 Bucks...not 1000 !
    Rich
  17. Free_Man_1911

Free_Man_1911 G&G Newbie

I've been wanting one of these Romak PSL's for awhile now... Maybe one day...

--------------------------
    Free_Man_1911

The other good Gun Forum:
    http://www.MitchelGifts.com
    Last edited: May 26, 2008
  18. 7.62/39

7.62/39 G&G Newbie

19. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    if dealers are labeling them with the dragunov name and it is engraved on the receiver and registered as a dragunov.
    and the sales papers say dragunov.
    then isn't it legally a dragunov rifle as recognized by a court of law?
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  20. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Good point !!