Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Habakkuk21, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Habakkuk21

Habakkuk21 G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

My local gunshop has an older THompson Auto Ordnance 1911 for sale. My out-the-door cost is $425. Should I buy it?
  2. Dave Sample

Dave Sample G&G Newbie

3. Roy Collins

Roy Collins G&G Newbie

No. Too high.
  4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

absolutely not.
  5. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

No, Bad quality... stay away! Just put it down... and walk away...! :)
  6. Habakkuk21

Well, I went to the bank, withdrew $450, walked into the gun store and said, "I want to try that Thompson to see if I want to buy it." They wouldn't let me shoot my reloads, so I had to buy a box of their ammo.
    Eyes & ears on, back on the range. The steely-eyed bearded shooter places a silhouette target on the holder, and advances it to 20 feet. After checking again to make sure the 1911 is clear, he loads 3 rounds of 185 grain JHP into the magazine, pops the magazine into place, and racks the slide. Aligning the iron sights to the center of mass, he breathes, relaxes, aims, sights, and squeezes off a round. BOOM!!! A .45 inch hole appears in the target, below and to the right of the aiming point. Another round: BOOM!!! This time, however, something feels wrong. A quick glance at the weapon shows that the slide hasn't returned to battery; in fact, it is almost fully back in the locked position! Oh no! A stovepipe! Carefully, our intrepid shooter ejects the magazine, and clears the jam. He reloads the third and final round from the first series. BOOM! OUCH! The ejected round has flown straight back, striking him in the forehead.
    "This does not bode well," mutters our hero to himself. With a growing sense of disappointment, he considers the possibility that the currency resting just above his right buttock will be returned to his financial establishment on the morrow.
    Still somewhat hopeful, he removes seven more rounds from the freshly opened box of Remingtons, and thumbs them, one at a time, into the magazine. Again he draws a bead on the center of mass of the silhouette, which remains hanging in isolation on the all-but-deserted range. Again, he repeats the series of steps, hammered into him so long ago under the South Carolina sun by red-faced, sweating, profane, range instrutors. B-R-A-S-S!! Seven times he runs the cycle, and each time he is rewarded by the roar of the fast-burning powder, and the satisfying kick as the .45 ACP bullet exits the barrel. To his dismay, however, he experiences two additional stovepipes.
    "Three out of ten," he mutters. "That's not good, not good. Do I want to pay $425 in the hope that a small amount of tweaking will turn this into a reliable firearm? I think not."
    Sadly, he slides the plastic cartridge holder back into the green and white box, and closes the flap. He polices up up his brass, but leaves the silhouette target hanging downrange as a mute witness of what was not to be.
    Is there a 1911 in the future for our hero? Perhaps so; however, for the nonce he shall remain content, nay, happy, as he sends round after round downrange from the muzzle of his faithful Hi-Point .45, as well as lesser calibers from his S&W and Browning.
    The end.
  7. gunssb

gunssb G&G Newbie

It's great that they let you try it - thanks for the report. I guess you didn't get a chance to try it with 230gr FMJ ?
  8. Habakkuk21

Actually, I had to rent it for $8, which would have paid for an hour of shooting. After 10 rounds, though, I had all the information I needed. Since I would have had to buy the ammo from them, I didn't try anything else but the 185 gr SWC. I'm going to keep the 40 rounds I have left in case I need to shoot my bad ol puddy tat or enter a shooting competition or something.
  9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

sounds like it runs like an AO. if you wanted to learn to do some gunsmithing on 1911's you could go back and offer $250, and not feel bad about cutting it up.
  10. Dave Sample

Dave Sample G&G Newbie

They are bad guns. Period. If you spend another $400.00-500.00to make it run, it will still be worth $200.00 at the most.
    If you want a good 1911 cheap, look around for a Norinco. They rarely need anything more than a good reliablity tune up by a competent pistolsmith. $300.00 for the gun + $100.00 for the smith and you would be good to go for a very long time.
  11. redhawk9

redhawk9 G&G Newbie

Here's a question fer ya'all: I have recently built my first .45, on an ESSEX arms receiver and I have purchased the remining parts needed (including numerous assorted extra parts). Knowing that I am a complete neophyte when it comes to building a pistol, I knew I wa going to have to "tweak" certain things with it to get it to reliably function. With the asistance of a "range rat" at my local range, I determined (and addressed) one of the problems in respect to feeding (had to polish the barrel link so it didn't jam into the receiver and slow the inertia down too much). One suggestion I was given was to have it throated. Now, I'm ALMOST mechanically inclined and I can follow directions reasonably well, but I'm having troubles FINDING the instructions on how to accomplish the task. I have the tools I will probably need (brand new DREMEL tool), but I need someone to advise WHERE I need to polish it.

Suggestions are appreciated.
  12. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

wilson combat has a book on gunsmithing the 1911, and will show you want you want to know about polishing the feedramp, and throating the barrel. if your barrel link is the proper length, there should be no need to do anything to it.
  13. Habakkuk21

Go to homegunsmith.com, and click on the "Progress" button at the top of the page. Then click on the "Sistema Project," and scroll down to the entry for September 18. If you click on the 'details" link, he explains the whole process, and includes pictures of how & where to do it.
  14. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I was thinking about buying another Auto Ordnance..I used to have one years ago
  15. Habakkuk21

I think that there are some really good ones out there, but the one I fired wasn't in that category.
    Check out
    http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8
    which is the Auto-Ordnance forum in the Manufacturers section of M1911.org. I betcha that you'll find lots of info there about what years were good and what years were RUN AWAY!
    I bought a Rock Island Armory 1911 Government model about a week and a half ago, and love it. It was cheaper than the used AO, and it works flawlewssly.
    And, in case you didn't know, I'm really glad to have you back. I missed you!
  16. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I don't think I'll take a chance on it :hmmm: might just look at a Brazilian Springfield :insane:
  17. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I saw a brand new one that looked downright tempting :right:
  18. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

in fact it looked like an early Norinco :hmmm:
  19. xtriggerman

xtriggerman G&G Newbie

Hi folks,
    I can tell you a little obout the early West Hurley AO 1911's. If it stamped colt 45 acp on the barrel, its made mostly from original millitary parts on a essex frame and slide with a commercial colt barrel. If the barrel is just polished over the chamber, Its junk. Thats a numrich barrel and a considerable higher number of below spec "market" parts. This transition into cheap parts started in ernest after SN 4000 (1983). So if you happen to see a AO with SN 4000 or earlier, your looking at a decent peice. Back then they had a wholesale price of $289. I had the dubious honor of putting together the 1911A1 production line for George Numrich back then. The stories I could tell you, Maybe another time.....
  20. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

I've heard nothing good about the AO pistols.

If you're interested in a good bargain in 1911 .45's, look into the Rock Island Armory guns. Seriously. I have three of them and they're flawless, plus there's a helluva lot of other dedicated RIA fans out there. You can find brand new GI models, Compacts (Officers size), and Tacticals all for less that $400. Sarco and Centerfire Systems are great places to get them online, and a lot of stores/gun shops carry them too. Go to this forum, there's lots of RIA lovers here and all the info you could ever want..... The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Armscor/Rock Island