Thoughts on the No. 1

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by tappedandtagged, Nov 2, 2012.

1. tappedandtagged

tappedandtagged G&G Enthusiast

I have long been fascinated with the falling block action. Of those produced today, the Ruger No. 1 catches my attention the most.

I have also long wanted a rifle in 300 Win. Mag. Well, my two wants overlap and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger.

But, if I get a cartridge cabable of the long distance shots like a 300 Win Mag, then I want the rifle to also be cabable. The reviews I have read on the No. 1 suggests that it is a crapshoot as to whether you get an accurate one or not.

For those with the No. 1, what kind of accuracy have yall seen? Is it hoping too much to be sub-MOA?
  2. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Enthusiast

I suspect the competition is jealous so they make things up. I know one thing for sure, every time I see a Ruger No. 1, I wish I had one. As for accuracy, as the caliber gets bigger I notice I start flinching after about 10 shots no matter how hard I try to overcome it. I'm fine up to the 180gr 300 WSM level, and have no problems shooting 50+ rounds with my Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic. I will admit that I don't particularly care to shoot the 300 Win Mag because it kicks a lot more.
    Good luck on whatever you decide, you can read some good posts on the web but the ultimate decision is in your hands. Remember to consider the availability on the type of ammo you will need. Some calibers are hard to find and expensive.
  3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I owned a Ruger No 1b in 220 swift. Best rifle I ever owned and regretted selling it from the minute it walked out my door. It was well balanced, sub MOA accuracy with FRESH handloads or factory ammo....did I mention that it had to be fresh ammo? Keep ammo over the off season and it would spray a pattern. Load a box or two up with fresh powder and shoot and I would get three shots well with in a 1" square.

One day I will own another one. I have heard the rumors of poor accuracy in some. Keep in mind that if you do get a lemon, there are things one can do to make the rifle shoot better.
  4. cjleete

cjleete G&G Enthusiast

The No 1 rifles in the smallbore calibers seem nice and handy, but as you go up to magnum size, they feel kind of unbalanced to me.
  5. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

I had one in .30/06 and loved it but, like Tex, I regret selling it.
  6. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

My friend has one in 22-250 and likes it well enough. It's pretty accurate and over all a very nice rifle. I have always wanted one but have never bought one.
  7. tappedandtagged

tappedandtagged G&G Enthusiast

Thanks for all the relpies. Looks like I'll just have to start saving up a bit and get one. Not set on the 300 Win Mag chambering, but I have time to decide on a caliber.
  8. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

Dad has 3 of them and all are shooters. He also has a No.3 in 22 Hornet and it is also a shooter, have nothing bad to say about them.

I personally want one in either 6.5X55 or 7X57
  9. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

I had one in 22-250. Also regret selling it....seems to be a pattern here. Mine shot around 3/4" groups with factory ammo, give or take a little. but always under an inch.
  10. osprey176

osprey176 G&G Newbie

I have a #1 A in 7x57.I have had it for years,and it's no tack driver,but good enough to hunt with.The older Rugers can be a crapshoot as far as accuracy goes.Ruger purchased barrels from outside vendors for years,and some were just plain better than others.A few years back,however Ruger started manufacturing it's own barrels,and the quality(accuracy),has improved.I found out this summer that my #1 likes to be loaded hot.I loaded up some loads out of an older Hogdon manual that were for The #1 only,4 to 5 grains hotter than the bolt actions.The load kicks hard,but shoot into 3/4" at 100 yards.Now, if I can only draw that sheep tag...