tinder lighter fire starter kits

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Idaho Dave, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Regular

I was recently looking for a new winter project to work on and I stumbled upon these tinderlighter kits. To be honest I had never seen one which is a suprise to me. Anyway I thought it might be neat to make one to keep at the house as a practical, useable conversation piece. I was wondering if anyone has ever made, bought, seen or used one and what you may be able to tell me about your experince with it. I have put together several kit guns running the gamit of difficulties so I think it would be a fun project. I also have ordered from DG before with mixed but satisfied results. if anyone has advice or experince let me know.

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.
  2. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

As a $90 conversational piece sure why not.

For a practical alternative to instant fire tinder.... Steel wool, and a 9v battery. $4.
  3. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

I keep a waterproof container, (coffee can, peanut butter jar, etc) filled with paper towels which cushion a smaller jar of alcohol and a fire starting steel. With that I can start a fire on wet snow. I keep it around in case my car breaks down on trips. I grab it when I go camping too. Works GREAT, total cost about $10
  4. batmann

batmann G&G Newbie

FWIW, I use Wet Fire tabs, Life boat water proof matches, a Blast Match and also don't forget plain old drier lint.
  5. larmus

larmus G&G Newbie

vasaline candles and a magnesium fire starter is what i carry.
  6. gun monkey

gun monkey G&G Newbie

Duraflame Firestarters, they are about 6"x2"x1" and work great. Use them at home to start the wood stove and have some put back in our camping supplies.
  7. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

Trioxane tabs...a sure thing. a quarte tab will start a good fire.
    Matches or grill lighter.
  8. codeNshoot

codeNshoot G&G Newbie

If you're looking for a project, youtube char cloth. There are a few good videos on making the stuff. It has the benefits of being inexpensive, as well as space and weight economy. A flint and steel are required for some long-term plan (ie when your matches / lighter run out) and char cloth can be made simply so it is somewhat renewable as a source.

Next, practice until you can start a fire with ease, or it will be worthless when you're mentally and physically taxed. Know how to plan and build a fire with the implements you select. This method isn't lighter-fluid easy, so give it more than a few test runs.

If longevity is not your concern, then make it as simple as a few cotton balls and some Vaseline.

I keep matches in every vehicle and bag i own that isn't carry-on luggage. For $1.50 I can light a fire every day for a month without resorting to my standby flint/steel and char cloth.

Practice with available tinder in your area. Pine sap / needles/ bark will light with reasonable efficiency with a flint and steel. A piece of tissue with lotion in it will spark like nothing else.
  9. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

10. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

In one of the survival threads her sometime back, I'd read where dryer lint works? Haven't tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. And if it dies, and works well, being very light to carry, easy to stock up on, might be worth looking into?

I mean, you get and save a gallon sized zip lock bag and it only takes a small amount to get things started, it should last quite a while?

And if need be, treating it with something would cause it to ignite that much quicker and if an oil of sorts would work, being ion a zip lock or other tight sealing container, would keep it for a long time...Again, worth looking into and or trying out?

As for the spark to ignite it all, I picked up a Universal blast match...Keeping a magnifying glass on hand would be a good idea as well. The sun, unless a major catastrophe happens, should continue to come out. lol
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  11. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

looks like a worthy project Dave. tinder lighters were once a common thing in the more genteel houses of the by-gone days, stike a candle and suply of tinder on the coffee table. it may come in handy during a blackout.

i like them door alarms too.
  12. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

looks like a worthy project Dave. tinder lighters were once a common thing in the more genteel houses of the by-gone days, stick a candle in it and a supply of tinder on the coffee table. it may come in handy during a blackout.

i like them door alarms too.
  13. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

Take corrugated cardboard, melt wax and soak them in it, and roll up into 2-3 inch pieces with jute string. Fire steels are great too.
  14. beachcommando

beachcommando G&G Newbie

9 volt battery and a wad of very fine steel wool. Store em seperately until use!
  15. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Cardboard egg carton... Tear top off... Insert a wad of dryer lint... Melt old candles, or new parrafin (not too hot) and fill each of the 12 spots of lint with wax.. Let cool and break apart..

I make up about 5-6 of these cartons a year for camping and starting my woodstove when I'm lazy..

For motorcycle camping I rub vaseline into cotton balls, and keep them in a 35mm film container (remember those?) They burn hot and pretty long, too..
  16. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Dryer lint works great. Lightweight and not too bulky. Stuff it in a ziplok along with 2 lighters.
  17. blue fox

blue fox G&G Enthusiast

Backwoodsman magazine had an article where the writer was using a welding torch lighter as his fire starter. Looked like it worked real well
  18. lunchbox99

lunchbox99 G&G Enthusiast

washington in a van down by the skagit river
    I carry a small candle and a lighter in a zip lock bag in my hunting-fishing back pack.
  19. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

Bic Lighter: $0.99 at 7-11. :)

Zippo Lighter: $12-$20

Personally, I go for one of these:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Firesteel-Model-Black-Handle/dp/B0013L2DKU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1268208898&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Swedish Firesteel- Army Model: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

It is not the best, and it doesn't house kindling, but it works for the BOB.
  20. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

I must be a pyromaniac at heart, because learning fire building skills was one of my favorite things in Boy Scouts. LOL

I have Fire Steels, Magnesium Fire Starters, BIC Lighters, Drier Lint, Cotton Balls and Vaseline, Waterproof Matches, Candles, and Fire Sticks (wax impregnated sawdust sticks with match heads on them) all in my gear. And i always carry a Zippo, as well.