Titegroup powder

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by shrub, Aug 5, 2007.

1. shrub

shrub G&G Newbie

Well i picked up some titegroup powder today because i was getting sick of how dirty the uniqe was in my .45 loads. is this stuf any good? is it any cleaner than the unique?
  2. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

shrub, Titegroup will put Unique to shame in almost every aspect. Unique was a fine powder in its' day but Titegroup burns cleaner, produces more energy, and meters better. The only area that Unique is better in, IMO, is filling the case. I've never used it in a .45 but, I can almost guarantee that you'll be happy with it.
  3. Down South

Down South G&G Newbie

I used Unique for several years but just swapped over to Titegroup. Tightgroup meters much better and is a lot cleaner. I think you will be very happy with it.
  4. shrub

shrub G&G Newbie

thanks guys, thats what i wanted to hear. I was starting to get sick of the unique so decided to switch. It says "cleaner burning" on the bottle but i dont belive it. seams like half the powder charge endid up on my hand when i ejected my cases!
  5. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

T/g

I used Unique, Tite Group and Clays. I'll load friends with the Unique, Tite group is clean, but leaves a stain on your brass and is accurate. Clays is the cleanest, [ softest recoil] and groups are equal to to Tite Group. Both T/G and Clays is economical. Unique is filthy.
    4.8 gr T/G /185gr HBRN's or 4.0 gr Clays/ 185 gr HBRN berry's are accurate. My Springer Loaded Champ [4"] loves this load.
  6. Shadeecatsunee2

Shadeecatsunee2 G&G Newbie

8/25/07--Saturday

Shrub, Use Titegroup here. Works great in 1911 A1 .45 acp. For target load using 4.0 gr. titegroup behind a rainier 200 gr. RN with COL of 1.250 inches. :biggthumpup:
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  7. johndavid24

johndavid24 G&G Newbie

Has anybody tried Titegroup in a shotgun load?
    I did , Hodgdon has a loading chart on their website, i went of of that ... i tried both 15 and 18 grains of tg , 18 seems a little hot ...15 ok, I think 16 -17 would be just right.
    Thats with AA hulls win 209's CB's wads 1 1/8 oz shot, the load is within specs with any mix though , check it out yourself first.... of course, ..... never use a load without verifying it's useable

imo
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  8. Oldeyes

Oldeyes G&G Newbie

Titegroup

New to the forum and may be doing this wrong, if so I apologize but I have a question.

I recently purchased Titegroup after years of using Unique for revolver, and recently 911. What I seem to be finding is that Titegroup provides very little volume when compared to Unique. Is that correct, or am I doing something very wrong here? I've not yet closed anything up with the little powder that seems to weigh out at 4.9 grains. Checked my scale against known weight and it seems as accurate as always.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  9. gunnerdave

gunnerdave G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

One of the first things I noticed when I started using Titegroup for .45 ACP was the apparent low loading density. Seems to work just fine though. No ignition problems with several hundred rounds so far. Sure meters consistently in my RCBS Uniflow.

HTH

Dave
  10. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

I use titegroup as well have had great luck with it. You can get like 1000+ loads out of a pound too. I just started experimenting with universal and bluedot for my carbine.
  11. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I bought a pound if Titegroup to try it out. I didn't notice any difference in shooting it but it does meter a lot better for sure. I'm happy with it.
  12. DocAitch

DocAitch G&G Regular

Titegroup and Clays are great powders. They are much cleaner than my former standard all around pistol powder W231/HP38. The claim is also made that Titegroup is not sensitive to position despite its low loading density. It is very economical, but the bugaboo of double charges is present because of its small volume.
    I would caution anyone to strive for an accurate loading and then stop there. Both Titegroup and Clays are faster powders and not suitable for upper edge of the envelope of .45 ACP etc. performance.
    With those caveats in mind, you should find Titegroup(and Clays) to be extremely satisfactory in anything from .380ACP to 45 Colt.
    DocAitch
  13. Oldeyes

Oldeyes G&G Newbie

T/G

Thanks guys. I truly had my doubts that enough powder was being measured out to cause a big enough boom to push the slug out the barrel. I'll load 'em up, keeping them some on the light side, and see how they work.

It's really nice to have a lot of experience at my finger tips like this forum provides.

Thanks again.
  14. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

depending on the reloading manual they may have you loading light anyhow. I know Speer has max charge on 9mm 115gr round nose at 4.5gr at COAL of 1.135, but Hogdon has it at 4.3 with COAL or 1.1 and 4.8 with COAL of 1.125, and you still have about 2k CUP to spare. I am loading 4.8gr with COAL of 1.137 and seeing no over pressure signs. I am going to juice it up to 5gr and 1.137 COAL once I chrono the 4.8gr loads. The reloading manuals usually give you a good safe load even at their high end.
  15. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Titegroup is fine for light,medium and standard loads which makes it a great powder to me.However it has a pressure problem with hot loads. (as does unique and fsater burn rate powders) sam.