Tracer Bullet

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mon Bathan, May 5, 2003.

1. Mon Bathan

Mon Bathan G&G Newbie

'bout the tracer bullet, i dont know if I spelled it right, how does it work? Where do it get the illumination thing and how far does it works? Really have no idea on this one

Mon:(
  2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Tracers have, I believe, phosphorus in the bullet. The powder ignites it and it burns for several hundred yards. There are different types, dim and bright, and you can start a fire with them.
  3. Dennis

Dennis G&G Enthusiast

As far as I can Remember .308 nato tracer ammunition burns red and has a burn out range of 800 meters
    The way it works is there is a phosphorus material in the base of the projectile with a head on it like an old fashion kitchen match
    the fire from the burning powder charge propelling the bullet out the barrel ignights the phosphorus "match" in the base of the bullet so it is possible to see the back of the bullet "alight' in flight.
    WW I technolgy
    so Machine gunners could "walk" their bullet stream in to the opposing troops.
  4. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Red and Orange tip bullets usually mean tracer.
  5. Mon Bathan

Mon Bathan G&G Newbie

goody, thanks guys :)

Mon
  6. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Gotta be real careful with tracers. A couple years ago some fool set the woods at our range on fire - his tracers went over the berm into the trees and underbrush. Ruined our shooting for a couple of weeks.
    Incendiaries are banned and illegal here in Florida. People still shoot 'em though.
    The .30's show up much better than the .224's - more of what makes it burn. I've seen a .30-06 tracer ricochet off the berm and go spiraling into the air, looking like a flare! Cool.
  7. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

nato tracers burn red...Soviet block Green. Ive read somewere people haveing a few tracers as the last few rounds in a magazine...so they know they are about out. The darn things are very expensive and some states dont allow them (Florida does not but they are easy to get here...go figure).
  8. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Tracers work both ways.
  9. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

I bought a box of non flamable tracer 12 ga and the only thing was that it had a white plastic wad that followed the load for about 20 yds, this was for clay shooting.

Didn't liked them at all,

Still have to try the real thing!!!

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: