Trigger refinement and upgrades

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by johned, Jul 10, 2011.

1. johned

johned Suspended

There is a awful lot that can be done to improve the MN's trigger. Just oodles of stuff. The defense of the engineering that goes "well, after all, it is a military trigger" not only misses the mark but is a subject change. No one ever said it wasn't a military trigger but rather "it's a BAD trigger, as triggers go, regardless of the application or intended use." BAD trigger...BAD! SIT....STAY!

I want to start this topic off with what I haven't been able to figure out so far. TRIGGER OVER-TRAVEL.....how have you guys solved this problem?

If you see anything that you feel is dangerous or could be please, please, sing out. I have an ego and am as defensive as the next guy but I hope I have those in check and I do place safety at the top of the list and I have discovered after years of observation that I do make mistakes. While I have discussed my plans with a Smith that doesn't prove their safety and my execution has a serious part in the outcome.

I will post pics and naritive as I get them taken and written.

Thanks,

John
  2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I don't think it's that bad a trigger.
  3. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

Below is a link to make a trigger that is adjustable for over travel;

mntrigger

In my opinion an easier way to make it adjustable for over travel is to drill and thread a hole on the top side of the trigger guard, behind the trigger, and use a piece of 3/8ths wide 14 gage steel to make a slotted tab that could be adjusted up to the back of the trigger to limit travel. Slide out to where you want it and tighten down the screw. The hole thing would be hidden out of sight and only require a minimal amount of inletting to get the trigger guard to fit back down flush. Its something I have been going to try but haven't found the time.
  4. johned

johned Suspended

Jmeck,

Thanks for that link to the trigger topic/site. I have seen the trigger over travel thread a long time ago and rejected it for the complication and such.

I have a big question: The bolt on the MN is released by the trigger going into over-travel....right? If I adjust out all the over-travel, how will I be able to release the bolt?

That guy in Pa seems a terrific find. He is into so many things and does them well.....refreshing.
  5. tobnpr

tobnpr G&G Enthusiast

Wagner has some great ideas- I used his method for making a bent bolt and it couldn't have been easier.
  6. jmeck

You of course have to leave enough travel for the trigger to move back and disengage, you just don't want it to travel much more than necessary.
    You adjust the stop a little further back than the release point of the bolt (sear) , it might take a few adjustments to get it where you like it and there is minimal over travel.
  7. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

Compared to a modern trigger, it's pretty awful.
  8. goat roper

goat roper G&G Enthusiast

I too looked at that trigger overtravel idea before. The idea appears to be good, but the execution looks like a piece of crap. Maybe this was just a prototype to see if it would work, and the real piece being constructed with a little more sophistication. I hope so. The hardware looks like it came from a kid's Erector Set.

Verne
  9. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 G&G Newbie

Compared to a Modern trigger? What about compared to one contemporary with the design. My M95 Steyr trigger is lightyears ahead of the Mosin.
  10. jmeck

True...The Russian Mosin Nagant trigger leaves alot to be desired compaired to rifles of its time as well. But at the same time it is sort of an art or challenge to some to be able to master it and shoot a tight group at 100yards To most though, its a royal pain. With the exception of my Finnish Mosins I generally do a little trigger work on all my Mosins.
  11. Pathfinder57

Pathfinder57 G&G Newbie

I installed roller ball adjustable triggers in all of my Mosins. A world if difference. Pretty simple to do your own.
  12. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

If you look at it that way, yes.

I look at it as a successful design that is over 100 years old.
  13. johned

johned Suspended

"Good enuf is the enemy of better" a wise man once told me. But then he had the time and wherewithal to indulge his quest for "perfection". Then there is the "sow's ear" philosophy. Hu noze?

Thanks,

John
  14. caopai

caopai G&G Newbie

If it's that bad to you just throw a timney trigger in it and get it over with instead of hassling with modifying what's there. A drop in replacement with no modification is superior to trying to make what's there better and screwing it up.

Just my two cents.
  15. johned

johned Suspended

This rifle is a low budget tinterer's dream. It starts out with OK accuracy and just gets better with every hour invested in refinement/improvement. No wonder they are as popular as they are.

I am a pleased and proud owner and I am happy to have this place to share my enthusiasm and get help couldn't afford to purchase.

John
  16. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Pathfinder, do you have a website link to somewhere that still sells these? All of my old links are coming up wit 404 errors.
  17. Pathfinder57

Pathfinder57 G&G Newbie

Can't make the triggers anymore as Huber Triggers has a patent on the design. Pretty simple to make your own.
  18. ctreser

ctreser G&G Regular Forum Contributor

Boy did you hit the nail square on the head. Where can you by a $80.00-$100.00 rifle that's probably around 3-4 MOA and turn it into a 1-2 MOA rifle with little or no money. Now I'm not saying I'm the one shooting 1-2 MOA but in the right hands I think so. The capability is there. Here's a short rundown of how I got my $79.00 1943 Izzy from 3-4 MOA to around 2 MOA. First I went to handloading. That got me around a 1" or better right off the bat. Then I started replacing my Russian triggers with Finnish triggers. For those that don't know Russian triggers use a camming system to manipulate the sear spring whereas the Finnish trigger uses two pins that pivot on the sear which create a two stage effect. This alone saved me about 1/2" in my groups. I then added the slack spring and a new firing pin spring and did the Finnish mod to the sear spring and sear block. This gave me almost another 1/2". So all told I was able to shrink my groups by at least 2" with those few changes. That's also without even doing anything as far as bedding or floating goes. The best part was that I have had a lot of fun doing it. So if someone tells me they can shoot MOA with their Mosin Nagant I have a hard time doubting them now. The Mosin Nagant just makes it affordable for absolutely anyone to enjoy shooting.