Triple Barrel Rifle/Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by TJ80, Jan 28, 2008.

1. TJ80

TJ80 G&G Newbie

Ok this lady i work with was telling me today about how her dad used to have a rifle/shotgun that looked similar to a SxS shotgun either in 10ga or 12 ga with a rifle barrel mounted underneith it. I am wondering if anyone has heard of said gun and who made it ect. She said that it is very old and is worth a lot of money. i am not able to get pictures of it, even though i know it would help. Just trying to figure out what type of gun it is and what it might have been used for. Thanks in advance. Tyler
  2. JSnover

JSnover G&G Newbie

Sounds like a drilling; Two shotgun barrels over a rifle barrel, lots of different gage/caliber options. These were more common in Europe than in the states but some US companies made them. Expensive and heavy. Some were issued to German pilots in WW2 as survival weapons. A few four-barrel variants were also made.
  3. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

4. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

5. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

They are indeed worth a lot of money. They are typically very high grade guns. The work to make all the barrels line up is unbelievably much, probably part of why they're so expensive.
  6. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

This brings to mind when I was a kid and into my teenage years, you could buy an over and under gun that one barrel was a rifle (30-30) and the other a shotgun. ?
    You don't see them anymore today and these would make excellent survival guns.

Did anyone here ever own or use one. I think Savage made some of them. Could be wrong...A.H
  7. jerry

Thaks man, I can't take all credit, just somewhat good at search engines, LOL.

I did guess Drilling right, as did JS, only because my wife gets killer deals on The Double/Single Gun Journal from work.

They have some beautifull artwork (guns) in those books.

The Double Gun Journal - Double Barreled Shotguns, Drillings, Double Guns, Combination Guns, Double Rifles, SxS, Side-by Side Shotguns, Over & Under Shotguns, Vintage Shotguns, Collector Sportsman's Shotguns, Hunting with Shotguns, and Upland Hunting
  8. TJ80

TJ80 G&G Newbie

Wow. Thanks for all the info guys. That Wikipedia link provided lots of info. Could anyone give me a rough estimate what one of these would be worth?
    Tyler
  9. jerry

Could be as much as that sprint car in your avatar or better ;)
  10. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

They were popular but limited and pricey

You can find a number of these older guns manufactured primarily in Europe before WW2.
    They were called drillings - expensive to manufacture and expensive to purchase. It is more likely you will find one in a European metric
    caliber for the rifle than an American cartridge.

In Luftwaffe period some (a very few) pilots had them as survival rifles. But this was before the demands of war production made this type weapon impossible to provide to German pilots.
  11. MOD 70

MOD 70 G&G Newbie

I believe the Luftwaffe version 12ga x 12ga x 9.3x74.There was a very good run-down of all the various types of drillinge in I believe the 1971 Gun Digest.Can`t seem to find my old copy.Must have been 7 or 8 variations including large/small rifle/shotgun,double rifle/shotgun,double shotgun/big and small rifle etc,,,Saw a 12x12 X 8x57 a couple of years ago in a gunshop here in B.C. and it was in well used/pretty rough shape-$3000.00
  12. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Now that's pretty cool. Anybody know how accurate the rifle side of the triple threat is/was?

G-Meister
  13. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

To Mod 70: I think you may be correct about the Luftwaffe rifle caliber as I know it was well beyond the power of the 8mm rifle cartridge issued to the army. I would be fascinated to know the current collector value of one of the Luftwaffe drillings.

To GlockMeister: I have no accuracy information on drillings. However, it is interesting to note the design did not break through to mass production. So, perhaps the original shooters of this design did not find it adequate for hunting.
    Note a scope would be well above the rifle bore plus shotgun hunting might be much more difficult with a rifle scope mounted above the shotgun tubes.
  14. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Not to mention they probably weighed a ton. lol

G-Meister
  15. ShawnF

ShawnF G&G Newbie

AH, Savage still has them in production, they make a .22 .22 hornet .223 .30-30, over a 20, or 12 guage, I havn't looked it up just now but i think they quit making it in a 410
  16. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Real German Drillings can run in the tens of thousands of Dollars, especially if In Mint Shape...
    Rich
  17. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Usually, in US lingo, a combination means rifle/shotgun. Wnchester used to make a beautiful one. Savage still makes their M24 with various rifle calibers over 12, 20, and 410. Baikal used to sell a rifle insert for their SXS's. A drilling is double shotgun over rifle. The drillings (European) were pretty much all handmade to order originally. No self-respecting Jagermeister would be found in the woods without one in the day. Many, many I saw were double12's over 7x57. They are examples of gunsmithing at it's finest. As BRG stated, getting all those barrels to shoot straight was amazing in and of itself. Look in Auction Arms to see some fine examples.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  18. nick112207

nick112207 G&G Newbie

my grandpa has a combo gun. it is a 12 on bottom and a .45 on top. it is a really beautiful gun. it is the one i am looking forward to the most about him passing onto me
  19. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

You sure that's not spelled Dreiling? My brother Dave has one, that his father-in-law liberated from the backside of a farmhouse door in Belgium, during WWII. He kept that sucker all these years, still in the canvas bag he found it in. It's not perfect, the trigger guard had been broken and poorly repaired, but it's a really cool gun. Has some fabulous engraving on it. Dave also has the Luger Marion brought home, but doesn't know any details such as make, year, etc. Perfect shape, w/original ammo still.
  20. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

In German, dreilngsgewehr. We shortened it thru mispronunciation.