TwennyToo ammo back in stock!!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by thrillbilly, Jun 25, 2013.

1. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

I think the chokehold is about over with, went by walmart today, they had 7 or 8 AR15s, and quite a bit of ammo, at least one box in bout every caliber.

BUT....the big news is they had bulk .22!!!!! Aint seen that since December.

I got me some Federal AutoMatch, 325 rounds for 14 bucks....I know all my autos like it, although I usually shoot the Federal bulk 500 round pack.

They had Winchester, Federal and Remington rimfire in-stock.

The ~500 round packs werent back yet, but the ~300 round packs were.

I had about 200 rounds left......so I managed to make it thru the shortage, I cant believe people were paying 80$ a box for .22 ammo at shows!

The walmarts have been loaded up with 9mm ammo lately, I bought a bunch of 9mm and .40cal in december when I saw it coming.....I made it through with 250 rounds of .40 left and 80 rounds of 9mm left.
  2. thrillbilly

I just dont know about some people.

A older man was in front of me, buying 22 ammo. He had all 3 kinds in front of him, comparing.

He had remington 250 pack, Winchester 333 rounder, and the Federal Automatch 325 rounds....

He asked me what my opinion was, I told him

Federal, works well in everything....my #1 choice

Winchester 333, shoots good but didnt function all my autos 100%

Remington....I wont buy a Rem marked rimfire ammo.

He nods and thanks me.....then buys the dang Rem!

Why even ask if you aint gonna listen?!?
  3. White Rook

White Rook G&G Enthusiast

I was in the local Bass Pro Sunday morning and they didn't have one box of any type of 22's. They had tons of shotgun shells. I'm going to Walmart tonight after work. I'll see if they have any...
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I tried the Federal Auto Match, but have been very unimpressed - none of my semi autos like it. Winchester Dynapoint remains the BEST bulkpack I ever used. I still have one box of it.
  5. thrillbilly

really?

Ive shot it thru Ruger 10/22, Ruger 22/45, Marlin 60s, Remingtons...they all seem to like it.

The Federal 500 count bulk...is what I LIKE to use. It is a tad cheaper and functions well.

I use a .22 for killing critters and shooting cans....so I aint looking for benchrest ammo, just as long as it functions well.

I have a couple bolt .22s so no matter what I buy, they will eat anything.

I know people say they use CCI ammo for a ''benchmark'' when testing auto .22s.....but my Remington Viper HATES CCI ammo, turns it into a straight-pull ''bolt'' action. The Stingers and Mini-Mag ammo.

So I reckon it's up to the gun.

I remember shooting the Win Dynopoints.....dunno if I have seen em for sale lately.

The newer bulk Winchester is ''okay'' but didnt function 100% in my autos, so I shot all I had if it up in my revolver and bolt-rifles.

My Dad's old Winchester auto .22 rifle is the LEAST picky gun Ive seen, not sure of model # but a tube-fed auto. It will shoot anything and everything I put in it.
  6. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

No changes in the supply here in North Central Ohio. Wally has zilch, Dunhams has zilch, and MC Sports has zilch. I have seen some lately, but the .22 was way scarce and spendy at $35 for bulk packs ranging from 375 to 525 rounds.

Gunwise, we got 5 Carbon 15 Bushy's in last week. We got a new Bushmaster Patrolman in today. Prices are up some from earlier, about $100 on both models. I don't know how much of that is Bushmaster and how much is from MC, but the increase is definitely there.
  7. White Rook

White Rook G&G Enthusiast

I have the best luck with the Federal bulk packs. I had a lot of misfires with Remington and Winchester. I have 22 cal. auto pistols and rifles, bolt actions, level actions and revolvers and they all run Federal bulk packs with very few problems..
  8. Mantrid_Brizon

Mantrid_Brizon G&G Newbie

Here in the Metro-Detroit area, basically every store that sells anything ammo related has next to zero, especially the big box stores. Gun ranges are a different story. They have ammo, but refuse to sell it to anyone not going to use it on the range that day. They, of course, don't seem to have .22LR to sell you, whether you use their range or not, so buying all they will allow, going blasting, and then keeping half is still out of the question, at least for .22LR.

Also, I ONLY use Remington Golden Bullets. Cheapest to buy in bulk & never gave me any trouble. For some reason, everything I have likes it, so before the ammo crunch, I stocked up over 10K rounds of it for a rainy year. Still too paranoid to break into my stash, but my U22 NEOS went 350 rounds straight (I counted mags/reloads) before ever jamming once from filth & grim, my .22 revolvers never complained, and who here has honestly ever had a problem with their 10/22, regardless of ammo? Oh, and the AR-7/Henry U.S. Survival Rifle didn't mind it either. Bolt-actions, lever-actions & top-breaks don't mind anything with a working primer, so I don't include them. lol
  9. thrillbilly

I shot bucket loads of Golden Bullets....from age 10 (1992) to maybe 10 years ago, thats all I shot.

I think it was 7 bucks a 550 rounds when I was 10, and about 10 bucks when I was a teen.

I just started having issues with it later. I switched to Federal (preferred) and Winchester (secondary).

I would love to know how many rounds I have thru my Rem Viper. I know shooting 2 bricks (1,100 rounds) in one day wasnt uncommon.

I was payed in ammo, if I did chores for relatives....they gave me .22 ammo.

I can remember buying the little 50 round boxes at country stores...when I wasnt tall enough to see over the counter. I think they were like 50 cents or way less. Cant recall exactly, but I know it was pocket change.
  10. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Remington GOLD has been my go to ammo for quite some time. I've had old guns refuse to shoot Winchester, federal, and the foreign made ammo, but they always shoot with the Remington GOLD! Maybe I'm holding my mouth right!
  11. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

Still no .22 around here.

for me its CCI> Federal> Wincehster> remington..
  12. trigger

trigger G&G Enthusiast

I remember scavenging and stealing empty soda pop bottles to turn in for deposit." Frank's corner store". Back then my parents would send me in for smokes and beer. Frank would look out the window for the customary wave of OK!(for the beer and smokes) No ok was needed for the .22 I think 3 pop bottles =1 box of.22. I don't remember the brand. Didn't care. O wait. It was winchester super X. And a LOT of candy
  13. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

I like the Rem. gold h.p.s but all my .22 ammo is at least 10 years old (I buy a bunch when I buy) so maybe the problem is with the new production. a little over a week ago I was in a WalMart and there were about a half dozen AR rifles in the racks but no ammo other than some shotgun shells
  14. Never_Evil

Never_Evil G&G Enthusiast

He's what you would call an ASK-hole. Ask a bunch of questions then ignore you because they made up their mind.
  15. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I've had some 'notifications' in at MidwayUSA for some time, for various types of rimfire ammo. Got one yesterday, and I saw and called it up ten minutes after it hit my INBOX - it had already been sold out! DANGGIT!!
  16. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Landlubber Pirate Forum Contributor

Down here in Lower Middle Tennessee the big bore rifle calibers are startin to fill the shelves at the walmrt. Not much in the way of pistola ammo, and still no 22s. You have to hear about the 22s by word of mouth, and hope you get to the store in time to get some.

Or ya do like I did when I found out about walmrt gonna have some 22s in stock. Get down there at 0300 hours and wait in line until 0700 hours.

The local pawn/gun shop has pistola and rifle calibers but they are pricey. And still has no 22s.

And a lot of shotgun shells at walmrt. I guess they were anticipating joe bitemes buy a double barreled shotgun. And fire 2 shots in the airlol

:swordfight:
  17. thrillbilly

I did notice that they were keeping the spare boxes out of sight behind the counter and only putting one box at a time of each brand on the shelf, I guess so people wouldnt go ''buy crazy''

They still have the ''3 boxes per customer per day'' sign up...as all the walmarts do.
  18. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

round here they do have some hunting rifle ammo and tons of shotgun, i even saw some .45 auto and some 5.56 the at the wal mart lately, but still no 9mm or .22lr or mag. The 5.56 was good winchester ammo so its higher price was justifiable, but more than i wanted to spend, it was like $13 for 20 roudns, still not terrible. I will thank walmart for not raising the prices much, thye just cant keep the shelves stocked..
  19. Kad Skirata

Kad Skirata G&G Enthusiast

Minneapolis, AKA: The liberal pit of Sarlacc
    My S&W 22A loves the Auto Match, but it loves anything that has powder. The Walther, and Mosquito are so-so with it, but they mostly like Mini-Mags. The most reliable for function I find to be the Fed. 525 pack of 36 gr HP. It's the only bulk ammo all three cycle with no problems.

I can't wait to try the Win. power points, Aguila SSS, and Interceptors once things stabilize.
  20. variolamajor

variolamajor G&G Enthusiast

It still seems to be a regional thing as far as distribution. The Wally Worlds here have only had .22lr once in the past 6 months - Winchester Super X. I have seen .17 HMR a few times and now they have a supply of .22 magnum - Winchester and CCI. Their gun rack was full at least as several months ago they had nada. ;)