U.S. would reap billions from $1 cigarette tax hike

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by grizcty, Feb 10, 2010.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Can you say GREED! :loser:
    The more they get, the more they spend.
    I would like to actually see, where my tax dollars are going? :thinking:

I am a smoker.
    And the average price for a pack of smokes, is $7.50! (Alaska)
    I know some here, will say.
    Too bad!

Well, in MY opinion, that is like me saying tax alcohol.
    A dollar per beer, or per shot!:scared:
    Or taxing, all sugar products!
    Because I don't drink.
    And cant have much sugar.
    U.S. would reap billions from $1 cigarette tax hike

2:42pm EST
    By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Adding a $1 per pack tax to cigarettes could raise more than $9 billion a year for states, health advocates said on Wednesday, and a poll released with the study shows Americans would support such a tax.
    The poll, conducted by International Communications Research, found 60 percent of voters would support the tax to help struggling states and would prefer it over other tax increases or budget cuts.
    "An increase in tobacco tax rates is not only sound public health policy but a smart and predictable way to help boost the economy and generate long-term health savings for states facing deepening budget deficits," said John Seffrin, chief executive of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network.
    "We have irrefutable evidence that raising the tobacco tax lowers smoking rates among adults and deters millions of children from picking up their first cigarette," Seffrin said in a statement.
    The report was released by the Cancer Action Network, the advocacy arm of the American Cancer Society, the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, American Heart Association, American Lung Association and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
    All these non-profit groups have long supported taxing tobacco more as a way to discourage smoking.
    The report, available here, projects the revenue that each state could earn by increasing cigarette taxes, based on research that shows a 10 percent cigarette tax increase reduces total consumption by 4 percent.
    It projects that a $1 a pack cigarette tax would prompt 1.2 million adult smokers to quit.
    "In 2007, Texas increased its cigarette tax by $1 per pack from 41 cents to $1.41 per pack," the report reads. The next year, cigarette tax revenues nearly tripled from $523 million to $1.5 billion, despite a 21 percent decline in sales.
    Analysts agree that higher taxes prompt many to quit, although some smokers merely switch to cheaper brands. In October, cigarette makers Philip Morris International Inc and Reynolds American Inc blamed the economy and a new 62 cent per pack federal tax for declining sales.
    Federal taxes now total $1.01. The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids said in January that the average U.S. cost for a pack of cigarettes was $5.15 and that the Centers for Disease Control estimates the health-related costs of smoking at $10.47 a pack.
    VOTER SUPPORT
    The groups also surveyed 847 registered voters and found 60 percent favor raising the tobacco tax to help state budgets while 38 percent were opposed..
    The survey, with a margin of error of three points, found that 72 percent of voters opposed increases in state sales and 80 percent rejected higher gasoline taxes.
    "Each year in the United States, smoking-caused disease results in $96 billion in health care costs, much of which is paid by taxpayers through higher insurance premiums and government-funded health programs such as Medicaid," the report argues
    "Indeed, higher Medicaid costs are one of the reasons states are facing budget difficulties."
    The average state cigarette tax is $1.34 per pack, ranging from 7 cents a pack in tobacco-growing South Carolina to $3.46 in Rhode Island.
    The World Health Organization says tobacco is the leading preventable cause of death globally, killing more than 5 million people each year from heart disease, cancer and lung disease. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 20 percent of U.S. adults smoke.
    (Editing by Cynthia Osterman)
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Sorry,

but my father was a chain smoker who died a horrible death from lung cancer that spread throughout his body.

I have not one bit of sympathy for the tobacco cartel and would not say anything but hooray if they taxed cigarettes at ten dollars per cigarette.

I view any defeat for tobacco as a win for the current and future
    victims of this narcotic drug industry.
  3. wyoman

wyoman G&G Regular

OK let's apply the so called "sin tax" idea to what other people would call an evil product that does nothing more than kill innocent people and animals needlessly. Do you like how I threw their words in there? Lets apply an EQUALLY UNFAIR TAX on others and say that you pay a $500 tax on every firearm , and a $10 tax on every loaded round or component that you purchase. We can justify it by saying that it helps pay for the health care costs that the EVIL gun owners inflict on everyone else. You see where this all leads right???? Before you jump on me , I'll just let you know that I lost both of my Grandparents to cancer.
  4. Freedom-1911

Freedom-1911 G&G Newbie

Thats all liberal pieces of dog shiet know is more taxes and more spending.
    Also the article came from Reuters and they are a liberal pig sty, so you can only believe half of what you hear out of them.

So long as the Dems are running the country we are doomed. People need to stop looking at parties. Reps can be as bad as the Dems but jesus. I don't see how they could do any worse than what we have now.
    Back in 2006 the Dems rode the "Look at how much the Reps are spending and look at the crimes and the hands in the cookie jar" horse right in to office, and in 2006, unemployment went up and the economy down. But Bush was in office and every one blamed him. Now Obama is in office and it is the same old crap, is it because of BO? Well he does stink but that is not why or at least not all of it. We still have the same Congress, House and Senate that came in in 2006, the same Senate that started this land slide, and until we get this liberal (both Dems and Reps) whore house cleaned out nothing will get any better.
  5. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

I don't smoke, and I think it is disgusting. I always want to go fart in the face of anyone who blows their nasty smoke my way and tell them: "You were so intent on sharing your noxious gas with me, I thought I'd show the same appreciation." But, your argument is the equivalent of one of the Million Mom March saying:

"My daughter was killed by a firearm, so we should add a $1200 tax to each firearm sold!"

The point is, people have the right to choose how to live their lives. That does not mean that the way they choose to live should cost exhorborantly more than anyone else. I am against any and ALL tax hikes. This government does not deserve anything more than they get, much less what they already have!

I am against any new restrictive laws and ANY new taxes until we have some major government reform.
  6. grizcty

Gee,
    Why does this response, not surprise me? :ugh:
  7. DWFan

DWFan G&G Enthusiast

nathangdad, until 1996 alcoholism and drug addiction were qualifications for Social Security Disability; and still are to this day so long as you can show that you would still be disabled even if you weren't addicted. They will even pay for you to get treatment.
    http://www.empowermentzone.com/ss_drugs.txt
    Cigarettes, even though proven to be one of the most addictive of recreational products, get taxed and there is no attempt to help smokers quit; they are on their own. Tobacco users are a convenient target of legislators for taxation, but if the same standards were applied to other drugs, the alcohol and pharmacutical industries would be raising hell.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Ok Now that they have Taxed the crap out of Cigarettes and Tobacco, How about a 2.00 per can Tax on Beer, a 20.00 tax per bottle of Whiskey , a 1.00 tax on Condoms, a 2.00 Tax on a Hamburger, 1.00 tax on French fries, 10.00 tax on KY Jelly, 2.00 a box tax on Donuts , 1.00 tax on a pound of Butter,a 10.00 tax on a bucket of fried chicken, a 10,000 dollar tax on a new car or truck , a 50,000 dollar tax on a Doctors license, and a 1,000,000.00 Tax on Politicians !

All of the above are bad for your health in one way or another !
  9. zmanfury

zmanfury G&G Newbie

i don't have to pay taxs if i don't buy it .
  10. grizcty

YEA, I AGREE 100%, since I don't drink!! :smirk:
    Well if they were fixing to tax condoms by the inch.
    Many wouldn't have much tax's to pay!! :bigeyes:
    I bet the loudest complaints about the KY jelly, will come from
    a certain California city!:greddy2:

$10.00 on a bucket of chicken!
    KFC. down in Wasilla, already charges $52.00 for 21 piece meal!

$75,000.00 for a Psychologist & Nutritionist, and Lawyer license. :hitwithrock:

DON'T tax my DONUTS!!!
    It AINT FAIR!!! BOO HOO...
    :love:

The above written, was supposed to be humorous.

Taxes should be applied to everybody, equally & fairly!
    Not to a select group, of people.
    :zx11pissed:
  11. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

and those farmers, workers, vendors, advertising agents, lawyers, truck drivers, etc. who rely on tobacco to make a buck.......wow to bad (not to mention all the money the government already gets)

i just quit smoking recently, but i am against any industry being hounded and taxed to death just because it is "evil"

again personal choice is the key, sorry to hear about your father but thats what can happen when you put smoke into your body
  12. Rambo

Rambo Your worst nightmare Forum Contributor

The states already have the right to put taxes on tobacco and do. They also get to keep the taxes collected. Let the states tax and reap. Keep the Feds out of it. State rights rule!
  13. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Enthusiast

Where does it end ? I am a nonsmoker. I dont care if you smoke just dont subject me to it ,not of my choice to breath it ! thank you ! How ever their blatent insaitable thirst for the tax dollar seems to have no end . When for the good of the people they do lay down their smokes, Where are they going to turn for their tax revenue? The amount in tax they reap from this has got to be staggering.
  14. BudW

BudW G&G Enthusiast

I think 1.50 increase would be fair if you consider the damage they cause,there are no other legal products that come close to the death and illness they cause.
  15. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

This isn't about taxing a lifestyle. This is about taking advantage of the freedom of choice.

Again, don't stoop to the anti-gun idiot's level & say "Because it causes problems, tax it, illegalize it, blah blah." That is not the answer.
  16. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

alcohol, prescription drugs, arguably cars and firearms

they are already taxed out the ass and people still buy them.....whats up?
  17. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Enthusiast

I'm against smoking, but I do realize this: Why try to make an environment pristine when a pristine environment is impossible?
  18. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

It doesn't bother me that much. The main problem I have with it is it will inevitably cause them to tax other things.
  19. petrol

petrol G&G Newbie

I pay my taxes and I enjoy smoking. I am a considerate smoker, but give me one of those "looks" and that will change. hell yeah, tax fatties for their soda. Diabetes is an even bigger problem than lung cancer.

And while we're at it legalize all 'recreational' drugs. All the DEA would have to do then is make sure they were of a high enough standard. prisons would empty, tax revenue would more than cover rehab and education. The money would move out of the shadows, Grandma's wouldn't lose their grandchildren to predatory dealers. Adults would be able to make up their own minds.
  20. cremley

cremley G&G Newbie

Colorado, with all the pot smoking libtards -_-

Was the cigarette cartel holding a gun to your dads head or pushing it into his mouth? I assume your dad was the one doing the smoking...?

I am sorry to hear about your father, and I don't want to start anything, but it was his choice. He could have quit, but he didn't. Should guns be taxed to death because the gun industry produces products that kill people every day? Didn't think so. It isn't the guys machining gun parts who are squeezing the triggers...