Update: PA State Game Land Rifle Range Homicide

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 9mmXDm, Jul 31, 2010.

1. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

So they have caught the two people responsible for the PA State Game Land Rifle Range homicide. The link below has a video in it and you can see the silenced AR-15 and the Remington 700 Tatical that was stolen from the range.

"Two corrections officers from the State Correctional Institution at Camp Hill will be charged in the shooting death of a Cumberland County attorney and the theft of his custom, silenced rifle, authorities announced late Friday.

Raymond Peake, 64, of Hampden Township, Cumberland County will be charged with homicide, robbery and other crimes for the shooting death of Todd Getgen, 42, of Enola. The shooting happened last Wednesday at a State Game Commission rifle range in North Middleton Township, Cumberland County.

According to Cumberland County District Attorney David Freed, a witness told investigators they saw a man matching Peake's description driving away from the rifle range on the afternoon of Wednesday, July 21, the day Getgen was found shot to death.

On Thursday, July 29, officers began surveillance of Peake and followed him to a sporting goods store, where Freed said Peake purchased a gun cabinet. From there Freed said Peake drove to the Perry County home of Thomas Tuso, 34, of Duncannon, Perry County. Tuso is also a guard at SCI Camp Hill.

Freed told CBS 21 News that officers witnessed Peake carrying a heavy, black duffel bag out of Tuso's home. From there, detectives followed Peake to a storage unit facility south of Carlisle, Freed said. According to the district attorney, Peake then put the bag and the gun cabinet into a storage unit.

On Friday investigators executed three search warrants; at the storage unit, at Peake's home and at Tuso's home.

Freed said police found three firearms inside of the storage unit. One was Getgen's custom, silenced AR-15 rifle that was stolen from the range the day of his death. The second was a scoped Remington rifle that had been reported stolen from the same range in May. And the third gun was another AR-15 that Freed said ballistics may prove to be the murder weapon.

Freed said authorities confronted Peake and Tuso at the Camp Hill prison Friday.

Tuso will be charged with conspiracy, receiving stolen property and other crimes, Freed said. Tuso's only connection to Getgen's homicide was storing the weapons, according to the district attorney.
    "

2 prison guards to face charges for shooting range homicide - CBS 21 News - Breaking news, sports and weather for the Harrisburg Pennsylvania area
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

i wonder if there was other motive's besides getting the guns. i guess we won't know until the book comes out.

just great, 2 guys in the public trust do this, who is going to guard us from the guardians:grumpy:
  3. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Enthusiast

Kinda like 2 friends of mine told each other, "You and I are the watchdogs." I asked them "Then who's the shepherd?". Needless to say, they got real quiet. My point was that watchdogs with no shepherd become wolves amongst the sheep.
  4. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

5. Dookiebutt

Dookiebutt G&G Newbie

Those COs will be mighty popular in prison.
  6. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Enthusiast

It is a shame that those who wear the badge did such horrible things. The guy who did the murder should be executed.
  7. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

WOW. Just WOW.

This is truly figgin, wild. Makes you not want to go out shooting by yourself anymore. As well as watch your surroundings. Though that you should be doing as it is already...But you'd think you'd for the most part be safe at a gun range? I would anyhow.
  8. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

when i go shooting at unsupervised ranges or out in the woods, i always carry one dedicated self defense weapon.... you never know who's going to show up, and it might give you at least a chance to defend yourself....
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  9. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

Well even though these guys are in custody now if this one guy was part of some backwoods military group who knows if there are other people out there going to take over where he left off.

I feel safer knowing these two are in custody, but I don't know if I still feel safe enough to go back to that range right now. I really want to try out my M44 but that is the closest State Game Land Range that I know how to get to. I always carry my Bersa Thunder .380. I should carry my S.A. XDm9 (9mm) but don't have the Kydex insert for the CompTac MTAC Minotaur IWB holster I have.

Well from my opinion if this guy was shot down at the targets depending on which one he was at you really wouldn't hear someone drive in let alone walk up the small incline to the benches. And having your back turned your a sitting duck for someone up top, easy pickins as it were.

So to have your rifle stolen while your down at your targets would be very easy to do and if you had the incling to kill someone it wouldn't be hard to do at that range.

It makes me just want to join a club for $50 or $60 a year and be done with it. But I would rather spend that elsewhere since I can shoot for free at these state game land ranges.
  10. ezearln

ezearln G&G Newbie

There must be more to this story than simply stolen firearms in this senseless murder, if they just wanted his rifle they could have silently slipped in and out and been gone before he ever knew they were there. Something stinks in this I just wonder if we'll ever get as Paul Harvey used to say "The rest of the story"...
  11. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

Check this out, http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/powder-keg/104071-updateed-more-news-pa-rifle-range-homicide.html

I should have just kept going all in one thread, but I update in different threads. You watch for them.