US asks private sector to help ease ammunition Shortage

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Shaun, May 27, 2004.

1. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

forgive the unknowing author for calling a cartridge a bullet

US asks private sector to ease bullet shortage
    By Christopher Bowe in New York
    Published: May 26 2004 22:00 | Last Updated: May 26 2004 22:00

Even in the age of unmanned aerial vehicles, satellite-guided bombs and night-vision goggles, the US army cannot fight a war without its most basic necessity: bullets.

And with more troops in Iraq, more intense combat than expected and the need for almost every soldier from frontline infantryman to rearguard logistician to be prepared for an ambush, the army suddenly finds itself in a bullet crunch.

According to a requisition last week by the Army Field Support Command, the service will need 300m to 500m more bullets a year for at least five years, or more than 1.5m a year for combat and training. And because the single army-owned, small-calibre ammunition factory in Lake City, Missouri, can produce only 1.2m bullets annually, the army is suddenly scrambling to get private defence contractors to help fill the gap.

The bullet problem has its roots in a Pentagon effort to restock its depleted war materiel reserve. But it has been exacerbated by the ongoing operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, where rearguard and supply units have been thinly-stretched throughout the countryside, occasionally without active duty combat soldiers to protect them.

The army's formal solicitation acknowledges that its current m anufacturing abilities have been all but exhausted. "Increasing military contingencies have created a situation where the capability to produce small calibre ammunition through conventional methods has been fully exercised," it said.

Specifically, the army is looking for 300m more bullets annually, potentially rising to 500m a year.

Alliant Techsystems, which runs the army-owned factory in Lake City, is in talks with the military about remedying the bullet production shortage, insisting it could expand output by 200m to 300m a year.

General Dynamics, the US defence contractor which submitted its proposed solution on Tuesday, said it had pulled together several small bullet suppliers - including Winchester, a unit of Olin Corporation; Israel Military Industries; and Canada's SNC Technologies - to meet the army's gap.

"We're using so much ammunition in Iraq there isn't enough capacity around," said Eric Hugel, a defence industry analyst at Sephens Inc. "They have to go internationally."
  2. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Heck most of us on this board have that ammount of ammo laying around in their cars...Heck NRA JOE has almost as much 7.62x39 ammo in his car as the entire Iraq Army had at the start of the war :) I guess someone needs to send the Army a SOG catalog....they have WOLF 223 ammo on sale this month :) OR they could issue a single stage press to each squad and have them reload their fired brass ....kinda roll your own before battle ....each soldier given a pound of powder and bullets.

Seriously it seems like AMERICAN ammunition companies should be able to meet the demand.....Seems like Winchester, Remington, CCI and the rest should be able to meet the demands of the milatary. IT is kinda scary that the US Army is running low on ammo....not something one would expect.....guess so much for 1 shot 1 kill :)
  3. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

DL I agree with your comments I keep 25 to 50 K at the house -- the problem I have heard is the Gore Bullet. my buddy in the army would say the army is spray and pray - Marine's are trained in Marksmanship and understand 1 shot 1 kill
  4. whirlwind

whirlwind G&G Enthusiast

i reload so i havent bought a bullet in about 5 years now...why dont the govt cut the taxes on reloading equipment so that more will start reloading thus freeing up some civilian companys production demand? well that would be the conservative solution anyway...the dem solution would be to raise the taxes 5000% on all ammo and reloading supplies so no one would buy any for a year or two thus forcing civilian companys to pander after govt contracts more and line the pockets of the dem senators also! da dirty bastages!
    1 person likes this.
  5. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

The funny thing is a few years ago I checkout the idea of joining the TN Guard and found out that they offered an MOS where I was doing nothing but loading ammo.
  6. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

This is an age old problem complicated by operations in Iraq & Afghanastan.

In 89 I went to qual on the M-9 for resource protedtion for the M-1's we used on the honor guard. We showed up and they gave us K-38's there was a 9mm ammo shortage. The rear site kept comming loose on the S&W BTW. Sucky day of shooting.
  7. Rufus Rhastus J

Rufus Rhastus J Senior Member

West, Central Florida, Third World America
    Oh great! Now I guess the price of ammo will sky rocket! Just great....
  8. Mr. Kaneko

Mr. Kaneko Guest

I don't think this is going to be a major problem. Somehow, the ammo shortage will be dealt with.
  9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

As long as I keep buying up that 7.62x39 ammo that means less for terrorists!

I'm doing my patriotic duty! :usa: :D
  10. colt45

colt45 G&G Newbie

Occupied Territories of New York (Buffalo)
    i'm helping i'm only shooting 243 and 45 this summer i'll just hand load the the 223.
  11. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

whats the Gore Bullet???is it made from recycled T.P.???
  12. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

13. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

If they are low on ammo maybe we should start the revolution now!!! HAHA
  14. jakerau

jakerau G&G Newbie

Shaun,
    I see you are out of Bend, OR. I am a first season hunter looking to bag my first deer, elk and turky this year. I wondered if you might be able to give me some info on where I might go/put in for this year. Thanks.
  15. ezearln

ezearln G&G Newbie

Actually Jerry the reason you probably got the M10 S&W (Not a K38 BTW) is because when I was stationed at LACKLAND AFB with NTTC Det1 our weapons Guards had to carry the M10 and not the M1911A1 all of us had used over several long careers because (and I quote) "The M1911A1 is *prone* to failure under severe conditions" this we were told was "Air Force policy" and the USAF weapons Guards had to abide by the same rules when they were transporting the M9's back and forth from the Armory and the range. Wonder which Academy wunderkind came up that that policy??? BTW after the Navy was forced by Congress to adopt the M9 we had plenty of 9mm to shoot as we had orders from Naval Weapons Center Crane to "Endurance Fire" each and every M9 we received each instructor had a wonderful day at the range because each M9 had to endure 10,000 rds without any failure or malfunctions noted during firing or post fire inspections.
  16. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

holly cow this is an OLD thread... the thread was started in 2004!! let it die!!!
  17. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

So how do we justify the statements made in this thread with the reports I've been hearing from the gun dealers that outfits like Remington and Winchester, instead of running three shifts six days a week, have been told by the government to cut back production to two shifts five days a week; and have trucks that are supposed to be filled with ammo to be shipped to major suppliers that they cannot fill because not enough ammunition is being made to permit filling the orders?
  18. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

Why? I'd say it's certainly relevant today.
    Forgive my skepticism, but I'd like to see that backed up with more than rumors, second or third-hand stories and general scuttlebutt.

I seriously doubt the 'government,' or anyone wielding government authority, has told the ammunition industry to cut back on production.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  19. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

Good Question. Are they trying to drive up the price even further by waiting for retail supplies to get depleted and stay depleted for a while? I wouldn't rule out a government conspiracy either, but I'll bank on the former theory for now.
  20. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

Heard on the media that ammo from a country that is off limits is selling it through two other countries directly in to Afghanistan and our troops are useing it,
    The problem seems to be that our gummint thinks it is substandard ammo,I dunno. joofo