Verona Shotgun Scam

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Red, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Red

Red G&G Newbie

I can't find the truth about Verona.

They are imported by PMC ammunition who claim they are made by Italian craftsmen. But, several places on the web, including Field and Stream, state that some of their guns are made in Turkey -- Sarsilmaz to be exact.

As for the Italian connection, PMC mentions on a few guns that they are made by Bernardelli. Various web sites report that the guns are made by I. Rizzini.

Does anyone have info on this?

At the moment, I don't want to buy a Verona, because I think I am being scammed.
  2. Snakebite

Snakebite G&G Newbie

Thats a good question and I have no answer.
    I just wanted to say that the dog in the avatar looks like a smart dog. :)
  3. Red

Red G&G Newbie

More (or less) info

I have sent out several emails to anyone I can find on the net who is selling Verona shotguns, including BC Outdoors -- the distributor.

So :cool: far, not a word...very quiet...so what are they hiding?
  4. Rufus Rhastus J

Rufus Rhastus J Senior Member

West, Central Florida, Third World America
    maybe you should remember that, after all, if the dist. doesn't want to answer question from a potential sale...maybe that's a hint...
  5. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I prefer to buy something true and tested, stick to a better known brand.
    In case of problems, you could find yourself hanging to dry, I know of many companys that had disapeared without a trace, leaving consumers without support.

I don't know that brand or maker, never heard of it before, I stick with moss, rem, berreta, ithaca, winchester, benelli, ect.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
  6. Red

Red G&G Newbie

I finally got the answer, thanks to Gander Mountain, who services these shotguns. I have posted it on my website, www.firearmbuzz.com as a review of Verona Shotguns, for anyone who wants to take a look.
  7. Red

Red G&G Newbie

FYI everyone -- Verona shotguns are made in Italy and in Turkey -- if you buy a "low end" autoloader, it is probably Turkish. High end autoloaders are made by Bernardelli and O/U's are made by Fair/I Rizzini. This is based on what Gander Mountain told me -- the distributor of these guns would not reply to my inquiries.

The real issue here is that BC Outdoors (the American distributor) is advertising their guns to be Italian, implying they are made in Verona, etc.. It is all B**S** as far as I can tell. Even Field and Stream lists them as a distributor of guns made in Italy and Turkey.

My recommendation? Don't buy from people who can't tell the truth and the whole truth.
  8. 57703

57703 G&G Newbie

Verona - At least they shoot nice

I bought a Verona Model 405S about 6 years ago. I used it heavily for trap and pheasant hunting. It's an auto-loader and works flawlessly. I love it! I have a friend with a Beretta and likes to use the Verona over his Beretta. He says it's lighter, fits better and is a great all around shotgun. So far, I can't see spending more on something with a Well known or fancy name.

By the way, I lived in Turkey while in the military (yes, U.S. Military). I can tell you that I have tried several Turkish made rifles and shotguns. I'll tell you that they are every bit as good as anything made anywhere else. They may be a bit rough, but they are great quality.

In short, Turkish or Italian, they are both great!
  9. jhanley558

jhanley558 G&G Newbie

I have had a 20gage Verona gold hunter O\U for 7 years. I have put more than 10,000 round though it clay shouting, wood cock, grouse and pheasant hunting. It is a very well built gun. I have had one miss fire that was due to the shell not the gun. It is light, well balanced and fast to point. The one that I have I made by F.A.I.R. in Italy for PMC. You can go to F.A.I.R. wed site and see the same gun with the same model # for over 2 times the 1,100 I paid for mine. It is the best shot gun that I have owned and I have owed a lot.
  10. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

Well, if I were in the market for one, I'd look at reviews by owners more than I would at the advertising and puffery, anyway.
  11. mikeyboyaz

mikeyboyaz G&G Newbie

Verona not'a'gun Scam

The Verona SX specifically is imported by Marlin Firearms, which owns NEF and HR1871, the SX is the same shotgun as the NEF Excel Auto 5. Serial numbers on the recievers of the excel auto 5 are the same print as the Verona SX. same manufacturer. This is also the case with companies like Beretta importing Sako and Tikka, the box says Beretta, but the gun says both. My auto 5 has performed flawlessly, and it is made in Turkey ( as stamped on the reciever)
  12. Dookiebutt

Dookiebutt G&G Newbie

Wow, three Verona users all with their first post in this thread. I think I'll stick with my Ithaca Mod. 37 Featherlight.
  13. coyotewd

coyotewd G&G Newbie

Vernoa scam

Not a scam! I own a Verona LX692 and as far as where it is made, it is made in Turkey by the direction of Rizzini. A great gun, and based on the Rizzini design. They are able to produce this gun much cheaper in Turkey and there for keep the price reasonable. Not a bad deal for anyone wanting to get into a quality gun at an affordable $$
  14. catman2

catman2 G&G Newbie

catman2 Verona 405-S Semi

Verona simply carried the turkish gun 405-S 12 gage, Verona, was simply a distributor and never made now the same gun is carried by H & R and Mossburg. Mossburg carries he 20 gage and H & R carries the 12 gage. Perhaps your gun store can get both and others.
  15. catman2

catman2 G&G Newbie

Catman2 here,

I have the 405S and it better that my $2,200.00 Barretta Black Onox, and my Barretta pump and auto. It's light, fast and out performs my firends guns. When all three of them miss the bird, I bring it down with my 405-S, never any problems and out of 21 guns I own it's bar far one of the best. I have another turkis gun and it a 22 Hornet center fire and it is awesome as well. I would buy more if I have the need or want. You will never go wrong.
  16. dog party

dog party G&G Newbie

Wow, a 5.5 year old scam revived from the death of archive.
  17. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Well,

congrats on doing enough research to be a person more apt to make good decisions.

Unfortunately, advertising and promotion has a lot to do with seperating people from their dollars than providing truthful information.

This is a lot like the advertisements you see for the Amish electrical heater. IF you read the fine print it is a China product for which the Amish supply cabinets.
  18. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Enthusiast

This is the 3rd or 4th resurected thread I've seen so far. Well, new memebers seeing old info that helps, I guess.
  19. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

same thing as Weatherby shotguns, they have outsourced the manufacturing of different firearms from different countries. some have been made in italy, and some have been made in turkey.
  20. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Shotgunworld:)

For additional info:)

LX 980 is made by Zoli. Also known as the Zoli Kronos and Zoli Z gun. The differences between models are very subtle. Some subtle changes in stock shape. The Z guns imported by Coles have Ti Nitride coating on the trigger internals and the LX 980 and Kronos lack this feature.

and the LX-5XX, 6XX, and 7XX O/Us are made by Isadore Rizzini (F.A.I.R.). The SX-8XX autoloaders are made by Bernardelli, I think, and the SX-4XX autoloaders are Turkish, I think made by Sarmilaz

Shotgunworld.com • View forum - Verona Shotguns