Want a double action .22 magnum revolver

Discussion in 'Taurus' started by thetoad45, Feb 11, 2012.

1. thetoad45

thetoad45 G&G Newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have wanted a .22 magnum snubbie for many years. Have decided to take the plunge. I cannot afford a Smith and don't want to buy a used gun. Could tell you horror stories about doing that. My choices are the Charter Arms Pathfinder or the Taurus 941. Both have 2" barrels. No, I don't want a used S&W 38, or a compact semi auto. Thought I'd get that out of the way as it always seems to pop into the conversation. What I would like is reviews of first hand experience or issues owners have had. I am not unfamiliar with the .22 magnum as I currently carry a couple NAA .22 magnum mini revolvers. Love them things. Use ankle holsters. Very comfortable. Anyway, got off topic, I really want a small .22 magnum 6-8 shot revolver. I realize both Taurus and Charter Arms have had issues in the past but I believe both are getting better. Thanks.
  2. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I just got a Taurus 94 snubby 22lr 9 shot revolver and it works great. might wanna check if the new 992 tracker comes with a 2" barrel, you can change out the cylinders from 22lr to 22wmr
  3. srt 10 jimbo

sorry, comes in 4" and 6.5"
  4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Welcome to G&G!

As far as the two brands of revolvers go, I would recommend the Taurus over the Charter. Even though both have quality issues from time to time, the Taurus .22 revolvers I owned (past tense) were better made, and shot better than the Charter revolvers I owned (once again, past tense).
  5. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

A .22 Snubby? MAn thats and interesting pick, if you don't mind my asking. Why?
  6. UrbanCombat45

UrbanCombat45 G&G Newbie

Welcome to G&G patna :)
  7. michael48

michael48 G&G Newbie

Don't mind at all. :D I had surgery on both hands. Turned out better than anyone could have hoped for at the time. While it didn't seem to effect my ability to pull a heavy trigger, heavy guns/recoil do seem to be a problem at times. So can pulling the slide back on some autos. I had to sell my big 357 revolvers and drop down in caliber. I actually am enjoying the smaller guns.:bigok: My home defense gun is a Ruger SP-101 in .327. I can manage it fine but for how long is unclear. When the time comes I will drop down to .32 H&R or even something smaller if required. Fow CCW I have a Black Widow and another model of NAA in .22 magnum. I wanted another/double action .22 magnum revolver to carry on the belt. As I already have to buy .22 magnum ammo I figured it would be worth a chance to get another. I COULD buy a snubbie in .32 H&R but I really am keen on the larger number of rounds the Taurus can carry. I really love the .22 magnum. (Yeah, I've joined the ranks of the wimpy.) Loud bang, lots of shots, no recoil... For me it works..;)
  8. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Enthusiast

I highly recommend the Charter Arms Pathfinder. Very well built sturdy firearms. You can get a .22lr/.22mag combo so you can practice more with lesser expensive lr ammunition.

What issues has the Charter Arms had that no other maker has?

I own a Pathfinder .22lr and the CA Pug .357 mag; I've had no issues with either. My experience dates back to the late 1960's with a .38 Spl Undercover and had no issues with that one either.

Unfortunately the mention of Charter Arms grabs the attention of alot of armchair experts who had a friend of his brothers ex-wife's sister tell him about a misfire he had. Many of these AC Experts don't own a CA, never have owned one, and have never fired one.

BTW...you will not find a tack driving 2" snub-nose regardless of the caliber or make...to include Colt and S&W...it's just the nature of the beast. In fact, only Peter Gunn and Steve McGarret can accomplish such a feat at long distances.

I'm intending to send my .22lr Pathfinder back to Charter Arms to have a .22mag cylinder fitted to the frame; if they will do it.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  9. michael48

michael48 G&G Newbie

I read on another forum from a guy who said he worked for Charter Arms. Said that some time ago they got rid of their suppliers due to the sloppy QC of parts they were receiving and that their new suppliers are within 50 miles of the factory. Very happy with them. Said they even got new people working there. Is it true? Don't know. I was a bit intimidated by past forum complaints but I have been hearing some good things about the newer guns. My local gun stores won't carry either Taurus or Charter Arms. I mention them and they snarl at me.:censored:

I'm pretty good with a snubbie. I carried a Taurus 85 under my arm for years. The 3" version. With 158gr SWCHP I was able to put all five shots onto the old store brown paper shopping bags at 50 yards from a prone position. (And a lot of practice!!) May not seem very impressive to some but I was delighted..
  10. oldjarhead

That is most likely because they don't know anything about them. Next time they snarl ask'em if they've ever owned one or, yet, ever fired one. Just because they work, or even own, in a gunshop doesn't make'em experts...they just think they are. I've talked with some real mentally challenged gun dealers/workers in my lifetime.
    Go with the information given by those who have experience with them...good and bad.
  11. michael48

michael48 G&G Newbie

I'm back to thinking the Charter Arms Pathfinder may not be a bad option. I went to pick up a "new" Taurus .327 today at my FFL and it was so bad I had it sent back. Wow, how did that get past quality control... :-( So, I guess when they call I will ask them to switch..
  12. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Welcome to the site--lotsa great folks here.

I own a Taurus 941 snubby. For me, Taurus HAS had quality control issues and I've had to send several guns back for varying reasons (which were all significant and were discovered within the first 100 rounds--most within the first 10). I had to send my 941 back because it had HORRIBLE (6" groups at 10 yards--and it WASN'T me :) accuracy. It came back fixed and is now one of the more accurate snubbies I have--maybe not tack driving but certainly a couple of inches at 50 feet if you do your part. As long as you don't mind waiting a few weeks for your gun (customer service has gone from bad to wonderful--dramatic improvement with a couple of week turnaround) or have the chance to ops test it before you buy it I think Taurus has alot of great options.

I also DID have a Charter 44 bulldog fail but it was fixed quickly (the set screw which released the cylinder broke--they did a great job of fixing it quickly). It is now a very powerful and accurate carry gun which I trust and would buy again. The pachmyr compac grips (CHA-C I think) really make this gun a great carry piece for CCW--I use the buffalo bore full wadcutter flat bullets in 44 special which the gun likes and are very powerful. At this point I trust both guns -- use the 941 as a pack/survival gun.

I consider the NAA guns as being much higher quality workmanship but you won't be disappointed with the 941 so long as you go in with the entering argument you MIGHT have to return it for service and plan accordingly.

TRIGGER PULLS on 22 rimfires--and in specific the 941--are pretty heavy in the DA mode and this really can't be fixed (or you don't WANT it fixed). They are that way to provide for reliable rimfire ignition which takes a bit of a heavier whack so keep this in mind.

Cheers !
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  13. michael48

michael48 G&G Newbie

Getting to the point where I guess we will all just have to start contacting the companies for a return shipping label prior to purchasing the firearm just so we can bypass the pain/agony of finding out our new gun is a lemon and just let the companies do their QC checks after the sale... :08:
  14. oldjarhead

^^^That's somewhat of a defeatist attitude. Look at it as a challenge be it irritating or not. Most new handguns are quite capable of performing to a buyer's expectations. One out of a thousand is less than one percent so you have the best chance of getting a firearm that functions as normal.

Not knowing your age, keep a positive outlook as you travel the roads of life's endeavors...there will be speed-bumps and potholes in everything you do and all can be overcome.
  15. michael48

michael48 G&G Newbie

Actually the only gun I have ever had to send back (before this) for repair was a Ruger stainless Blackhawk in .45. Fantastic gun but had a minor problem which Ruger made good right away. Been buying guns for probably 35 + years and cannot say I have run into many guns I could complain about. It's natural to expect the best and be dissappointed when it doesn't come to be. After reading all the reviews I was very positive about my purchase. Didn't work out. I'm ok with it and am moving on to something else. :)
  16. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I agree to keep looking on the bright side of things, but given the number of Taurus guns I've had to send back vice other manufacturers either I'm WAYYYYY unlucky or they have some QC problems. I know others have had no problems but I have had to send back a PT-1911, a public defender, an UL Judge, and a 941. They all have had MAJOR functional problems. I've ALSO had to fix a different public defender but it was an easy reset of a return spring in its guts (had a look because I didn't want to send it back). Also had a millenium I sold because it wouldn't work. All these problems were discovered within the first few rounds and at least fixed quickly and completely. Maybe some get them with no issues; my experience was different. I still use my judges extensively and trust them for my defense; it is just they required work to fix. I'm batting less than .500 .

Cheers :)
  17. srt 10 jimbo

Just got the 94 snubby and ordered the 992 with 6.5" barrel making them my sixth and seventh Taurus. never had to send one back