Went to the range with my new P95

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cohn, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Cohn

Cohn G&G Newbie

Finally! Went Saturday it was a lot of fun I guess...

Ok so the first shot... Dead center in the bulls eye (no joke.) Jam... ok pull slide back... fire... Jam.

So it did this for awhile the range guy came over thinking something is happening to it, telling me it might be the ammo. I then told him it is brand new he said oh well hold it really hard (never knew this as a never shot a brand new gun before.) So it was on and off jamming/stove piping/failure to feeds all day but less frequent when I was death gripping it.

So I can't make a decision on this gun yet... other then I might buy used lol

We brought the whole family out to go shoot. Theirs me (first image) and my step dad (second image) at the bottom. My fiancee and my step sister both shot as well but were turned off real quick (well my fiancee wants to go again and shoot with me again.)

Attached Files:

2. Cohn

Cohn G&G Newbie

Forgot to include the target (well the only one where my bullets were on lol)

10 yards

The head shots were all me trying to shoot one shot at a time.

The body were me shooting real fast.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Ruger Service

Cohn: Sir; it should be eating anything fed:) Rugers are not notorious for not eating anything: The eat everything:)

Having not been their; ?limp wrist? to ?????? anything could be happening.
    Take it back out; ''not'' a family type; outing; shoot it again; ''holding'' firmly; and see if it is you or the fire arm; Have another shooter shoot it.

Should the same reaction be taking place: Call Ruger; and ''ask'' for a return box; ''i.e.'' brand new firearm; isn't working properly; be nice; these folks are very good to work with:)

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    Product Service Department
    200 Ruger Road
    Prescott, AZ 86301
    Telephone: 928-778-6555
    (Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm MST)
    Fax: 928-778-6633

Follow up when you can; Thanks:)
  4. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

What kind of ammo was it? I have found that some autos don't like light loads like WWB. My Taurus Slim shoots like a dream but with WWB at least 1 round out of every magazine fails to eject. Another thought is did you lube the gun before shooting it? Sometimes they are dry when shipped and don't eject properly. Might just need some shooting time to be broken in too. I would clean and lube it well, buy some higher charged, better quality ammo and shoot her more. If that fails there is always Gun Broker. Sell her and buy something else. If it gets to the point where you don't have 100% confidence and trust in your gun you shouldn't carry that gun.

I know this statement isn't going to make a lot of people happy but, MY OPINION. is Ruger makes among the very best revolvers and rifels but their auto handguns aren't the best quality. Maybe see if you can trade her in for something else?
  5. Cohn

Cohn G&G Newbie

Well before I start asking for a return box I am going to try and break it in first.
  6. Cohn

Cohn G&G Newbie

Remmington FMJ UMC if you want more info have to wait till the boss wakes up :p
  7. BORIS

BORIS Suspended

What brand of ammo?

Try some Winchester Q4172 or AE 124 ball. I see alot of Winchester M882 NATO ball in stores every now and then. All of these rounds are full power loads and will feed better. Also try some Sellier&Bellot. S&B is loaded to C.I.P. specs that are more normal than the -P stuff loaded to SAAMI specs.

Rem UMC and HSM will make some guns not cycle proper. A kid I work with has a Styre M9 and it loves M882, Q4172, AE and S&B, but hated lower powered UMC or range type ammo or lighter loads like HSM.....
  8. Cohn

Cohn G&G Newbie

Ill give it all a try :)

A lot of people tell me the Ruger will eat anything. I and the range dude think it just needs to be broken in.
  9. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Ruger

Cohn: Sir; my first concern; limp wrist; your error.

Rugers haven't a reputation for particular ammo only, {if it did; I'd get rid of it instantly}

a break in time? Sir; I doubt this at all. I don't doubt the anxious moments out with the family.

Should it continue??? at that time:) Call Ruger:)
  10. Cohn

Cohn G&G Newbie

I am known to hold it light as I was in air rifle competitions and death grip is not needed :)
  11. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Remmingtom UMC can also be a low charged ammo. The gun might shoot them fine once broken in. If you can get hold of some S&J FMJ's they are loaded pretty hot for factory ammo and aren't too expensive. Winchester SXZ from Bass Pro Shop is another that is a fairly hot load and not too costly. Once you have experimented without breaking the bank try some high end ammo like Golden Saber, Hornadt, Cor-Bon. I personally don't care for Hydrashok but they are very hot loads and millions of people love them. Give them a try too. Some guns like some ammos and dislike some ammos. Even the exact same model, same lot, same year gun will sometimes vary. I might own one P95 and you could own one that is one number off with both guns made the same day at the same factory both brand new and my gun will like one ammo and yours will like another. Best part about testing different ammos is aside from learning your gun, it's fun.
  12. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Cohn I just want to wish you my condolences. Sorry your pistol jammed...A.H
  13. BORIS

BORIS Suspended

I had 2 P226s that would not cycle UMC until they had 10,000 rounds down range. UMC is pretty weak. Good ammo but not as good as regular Remington.

The problem is the powder. 9mm likes middle burn rate to slow burn rate powders. I could make good regular loads with AA#2 that would have a hard time cycling alot of guns. Same velocity with #5 or #7 would cycle them. Dunno why, but it happens. I also read it in an Accurate powders manual a few years after I discovered it so it makes sense to me....
  14. mitchr

mitchr G&G Enthusiast

In regard to the "limp wristing". You don't have to grip the pistol until your knuckles turn white. Just need a FIRM grip. But, need to keep wrist rigid. If there is too much give in your wrist, it affects the way the pistol cycles & the "timing" of the slide. As one poster suggested, see if you can get an experienced shooter to try it out.

Also, you didn't explain what type of jam it was. Could be a problem with the magazine. Check your manual to see if it shows how to disassemble it. When you have it apart, use a cotton swab to wipe down the inside of the magazine & all over the follower. This will tell you if there are any burrs which may interfere with it's operation. You may find it to be dirty with the shipping goo that manufacturers coat firearms in. Clean it out good, but do not oil it. A dry lube, like KG-10, is okay, or a teflon powder would be okay. Otherwise, no lube at all.

CAUTION: If you take the magazine apart, pay attention to how the spring is in it & be sure it goes back in the same way.
  15. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

Any Ruger I have ever owned has ate anything and everything I have ever put through it from the get go. I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and put 500 rounds through it before contacting Ruger. After that I would send it back. I love Ruger and I hate to hear about yours jamming. Good luck.
  16. lynxpilot

lynxpilot Constitutionalist Forum Contributor

FWIW, I have one that's been flawless and shot by at least 2 limp-wristers. Might want to speak with Ruger. For any of the naysaying about them being clunky or whatever, I REALLY like mine! It's a workhorse.
  17. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

First, did you clean it completely then lightly oil it before going to the range?

Second, check the inner workings for any burrs or rough spots? (test with a Q-tip or cotton ball)

Third, using a high-quality ammo for the first 500 rounds is HIGHLY suggested.

Fourth, it's a damned Ruger...go get a Glock/Sig/Taurus/Kel-Tec instead and save yourself some greif.
  18. Cohn

Cohn G&G Newbie

Its cleaned I did everything before going to the range.
  19. Cohn

Cohn G&G Newbie

Also I will like to add my next ammo will be the Winchester stuff at Wal-mart.
  20. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

That is the WWB, *Winchester White Box*. It is a very low charged load. I would but a hotter load first to see how the gun handles it. WWB will be close, if not less, of a charge to UMC. You might have the same issues.