Western Field tube fed 22 semi-auto

Discussion in '.22/rimfire' started by rjmorel, Jan 27, 2010.

1. rjmorel

rjmorel G&G Newbie

I bought this rifle with the understanding that it didn't feed and eject reliably. I believe it was sold thru Wards and made by Savage or SpringField.
    Well it doesn't feed or eject reliably when I pull the trigger repeatedly fast like you would normally on a semi-auto. However if I pull the trigger, hesitate for a second ,then release the trigger, the bolt will close, and feed and eject all day long as long as I hesitate after pulling
    the trigger.
    My question is since it reliably shoots fine as long as I hesitate on releasing the trigger is this the way it is designed to opperate for the bolt to stay open untill the trigger is released? Operates fine like this: Load up the feed tube , pull the bolt back and release to load. Fire and keep the trigger held back for a second, release trigger , bolt closes loading next round, repeat all day.
    I doused the action with gun clean & lube and hand cycled it a bunch to destribute the cleaner around and oil things up so I don't think it is gummed up at all. It looks like it was hardly used by previuos owner.
    Do any of you own this brand and does it operate like I describe? Thanks, rj
  2. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Regular

We would need to know the Model number and what MFG model it corresponds to. Nearly all store brand guns were just differently marked models of guns made by the MFG at that time. To find out what MFG model your gun is, go to Numrich Arms website and click on the :Cross Reference" link at bottom of home page. Find your Westernfield Model number and see what MFG model it is.
  3. rjmorel

rjmorel G&G Newbie

It's a model 836R which Numrich crosses over to a Savage / Springfield 187N. I just read an article online from a guy who bought a 187N and he described shooting it as fast as he could emptying several tubes without one jam. Mine won't allow me to go fast as the bolt hangs open until the trigger is released and if I try rapid firing it jams or does not cock the firing pin so I have to recock it ,dumping a live round out. Any ideas? Thanks, rj
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  4. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

That is a truly odd problem, I'd post it in the Savage/Springfield forum.
  5. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

Take it apart and clean it or go get some gun scrubber in an aresol can and spray the heck out of it.
  6. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

This particular rifle is indeed designed for the hammer to be held back after firing until the trigger is released. However, rapid fire is normally okay.
    You can also 'lock' the bolt closed for singleshot shooting, as having no moving bolt enhances accuracy! Just slide the cocking handle to the left into the hole in the left side of the receiver.
    I would suspect either it's dirty inside, or maybe the action parts are worn.
    Give it a good cleaning - pull the barreled action out of the stock, but don't disassemble the lower action without a good diagram. You will see the characteristic 'rocker' system, using the twin posts. Clean and lube this mechaniasm.
    If it still fails on 'rapid fire', have a good gunsmith inspect it. These rifles were made by many companies over many years, and Numrich has the parts.
    Mine is the Model 87A by Springfield, the Savage and Stevens rifles are identical. All the big box stores of the era had there own 'store brand name' variants. Other models introduced different variations in stock fittings, sights, etc.
  7. 22sniper

22sniper G&G Newbie

i got one of them i love the thing ive only had one problem with mine wit ha jam and i was using it bolt action. i pull that trigger like there is no tomorrow. but they do have a reputation for jamming because of the spring that holds the round. you can convert it to a clip from a stevens 85
  8. Whiteboy5

Whiteboy5 G&G Newbie

WesternField M864 .22

My father-in-law got this gun from his dad and in turn gave it to me. I can't figure out how to disassemble it to clean it! I looked online, brought it to a gunsmith who said "Wow, it's an oldie probably 1963 or somewhere there about." and no one knows how to disassemble this darn firearm. Does anyone know where I can get a users manuel for this gun or just how I can disassemble it? I can get the parts out of the stock, but can't figure out how to release the bolt assembly from the barrel.
  9. rjmorel

rjmorel G&G Newbie

The design has the bolt catch on the trigger sear to cock it and so it won't fall out of the rifle . Pull and hold in the trigger and bolt should slide out the back if it is like mine. rj
  10. rebel727

rebel727 G&G Enthusiast

Unscrew the knurled knob at the rear of the receiver, pull the bolt back and then pull the cocking handle out of it. The bolt will then come on out. If my memory isn't faulty. It's been a long time since I took mine apart. Mine was bad about not feeding and I replaced the bolt spring with one out of an old C4 transmission valve body. It doesn't miss a beat now. Needs a new stock tho.