Westinghouse 1891 - .30-06

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Sprout47, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

I am going to an auction next week and looking through the listings is this model of Mosin-Nagant.

I never knew that a MN came in .30-06; are these rare and would this be a good investment to pick up?

What do these usually go for price wise so that I know not to go over what I could get out of it.

Thanks guys ;)
  2. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

3. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

Awe... I was kind of hoping this was one built for .30-06... was going over in my head how that could be considering even the MN's Remington built were chambered 54r...

Thanks for the heads up, I probably would have flopped it but I wouldn't buy a rifle that I wasn't going to keep if I couldn't sell it, especially considering I would have to tell whomever that it is unsafe to shoot.
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

mouser beat me to it, but I emphatically agree with him. The Bannermans are strictly wall-hangers or for completists who are beyond obsessive. What you really want is one of the US-made Mosins with no import stamps, the ones sold by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship to the shooting public after they were declared surplus. They don't turn up very often.
  5. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

Here is exactly how they had it listed:
    "38) RUSSIAN MOSIN-NAGANT WESTINGHOUSE 1891 (CS) 30-06 CAL."
  6. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

7. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

You might wanna go check out the Auction anyway just to see if the Westinghouse is indeed a Bannerman conversion or if they don't know for sure what it is. I went to Gander Mountain, a place where you'd thing they'd know what guns were and they has a Swedish Mauser marked 6.5 Remington Magnum, and a Carcano marked 6.5X55 Mauser. So you never know you might get lucky. The Argentine Mauser sounds interesting as well.
  8. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

Ya, I wasn't sure what that (CS) meant, maybe not enough room to spell out Custom?
  9. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

Yeah a Mosin in .30-06 would be cool as can be. If it was done right and safe.
  10. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

FWIW, there's some good stuff in that auction. Wish I could get up to Ballston Spa for it, but the current finances preclude it. I'd especially be interested in that so-called "Spanish Model 1916 Mauser in .308" they have listed. I think it's either an FR-7 or FR-8, the bolt action conversion the Spaniards did to ready the military for the CETME. Nice little rifles, and I've wanted one for awhile.

I wonder if they'd take a phone bid...
  11. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

If I was in the neighborhood I'd go by anywho !!
  12. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

I have heard that Bannermans can be shot with light loads of .30-06. If the price isn't too much on it, it might be worth picking up and adding to a collection if you collect. I have never seen one, but you can definitely tell them apart from the non-Bannerman Remingtons. I have only seen examples of Remington Bannermans, but I suppose a Westinghouse could be possible.

You will be able to tell it's a Bannerman because of the chopped barrel shank. It will basically look like all the stamps on the barrel shank were cut off. The bolt head will also be modified to accept the base of a .30-06. They are usually sportered, and have the original rear sight base ground off with a simple flip up sight installed. Barrel chopped, and new sight at the end of it too.

The Poles also modified Mosins to shoot the 8mm Mauser cartridge. it was done in the 1950s, and they are very hard to find.
  13. littlestoney406

littlestoney406 G&G Newbie

There are Westinghouse Bannermans. The only one I've ever held was a Westinghouse. I'm sure it is probably still sitting in the same pawn shop. For $400, I say it will be there for a while.
  14. Wiley

Wiley G&G Newbie

I have a Remington Bannerman that I shoot with light loads. I paid $70 for it in 2001. It does fine with 180gr cast bullets and 14 grs of 2400.
    I would have to be in a lot of trouble before I would fire full power loads in this rifle.
    At 50 yards it will stay inside 1.5 inches, so it could be usefull.