What is the 300 Win Mag like?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Beer Forever, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Beer Forever

Beer Forever G&G Newbie

I saw a really nice rifle at the gun store in 300 Win Mag. I haven't shot 300 Win Mag before, is it a decent round? How is it compared to the .308?
  2. Maser 209

Maser 209 Suspended

I really like that cartridge. It has a much flatter trajectory than a .308 and the recoil is just slightly above a .30-06. My deer rifle is chambered in .338 ultramag and I am looking to get something smaller such as a .270, .30-06, or yes a .300 win mag.
  3. Johnny_Revolver

Johnny_Revolver G&G Newbie

I love the 300 Win Mag, it was born the same year as me, 1963, it shoots as flat as a tack and with a decent recoil pad on half way reasonable rifle it is quite okay to shoot off the bench. You may not get the 10,000 round barrel life out of it that`d you`ll get from a .308, but hey no one rides for free. Oh! don`t forget the big range of projectiles available anywhere, versatility plus.
  4. burd1959

burd1959 G&G Newbie

watched a guy my uncle shoot a caribou at 1000 yards it went right down and the guide said he would drag it if he killed it he was cussing up a storm i got a 300 win mag in a bolt the next week love the thing
  5. junkie

junkie G&G Newbie

I have killed mule deer and elk out to 400 yds with this caliber the only one I will ever use for big game. That is till I can't handle the recoil
  6. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

At $20 or so a box, the last thing you need to worry about with a 300 Win Mag rifle is its ability to last 10,000rds.
  7. Johnny_Revolver

Johnny_Revolver G&G Newbie

True dat, but 2 things: I handload and I like to shoot. I will grant you that while one would be unlikely to go to the range and submit targets to sustained fire with a 300 win mag, barrel life has got to be a factor up for consideration when purchasing a rifle. I`m looking to purchase a rifle in this calibre, but as you rightly point out ammo cost , handloading or not, to say nothing of the recoil, makes me think that barrel life won`t be an problem, but I still considered it a factor in my decision.
    I will tell you though, if I could get 20 x 300 win mag for 20 bucks here, I`d be on it like a seagull onto a sick prawn! Most .308 starts at that price, unless you buy 100 rounds or the bargain basement stuff.
  8. alex12/7

alex12/7 G&G Newbie

The .300 Win mag is very accurate and is routinely used for 1000yd match
    applications and will down anything where .30 cal is legal.Ammo is everywhere and since the cartridge can be chambered in 30-06 length actions,will not become obsolete in our lifetimes. This is probably too much gun for anything in the US for anything except very long shots or P'O'd momma bears, you can't go wrong with the .300WM. Besides, I like to shoot squirrels @100feet with my 8mm mauser using 196gr spitzer boattail at 2600fps. You only go around once.Try a 110 gr@ 3700fps!
  9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

My .300 Win Mag is the hunting rifle of choice here in Alaska. From Moose to Grizzly Bears to Caribou, I have killed them all and As I walk through the wilderness, I fear no creature when I am carrying it. 180 grain bullets for most game and 220 grain for large Grizzlies !Very accurate at long ranges with plenty of punch and yet mild recoil on your shoulder makes it a very Ideal Caliber. I have bought ammo as cheap as 12.00 a box and as high as 45.00 for Safari grade ammo with Nosler Partition Bullets and Nickel cases.
    I have a pre-64 and a post-64 Winchester model 70 rifle both in .300 win mag. I love it !
    Rich
  10. Indy

Indy G&G Newbie

I have a Ruger No 1 heavy barrel 300WM. It's very accurate and I would rate it as the best all around hunting cartridge for North America. I know many rate the 338WM as the premier elk cartridge, but as mentioned above the bullet selection is large. The 06 and 308 lovers will blast this note, but the extra power is a plus for long range or in a life threatening situation.
    Indy
  11. cwelkman

cwelkman G&G Newbie

If you handle the recoil it's a great caliber. I inherited my father's 300 mag that he kiled many a deer and several elk with. if it was not my Dads iwould gt rid of it. !!!! thing kicks the snot out of me everytime I pull the trigger. Of course it's a very light gun with a horrible recoil pad.

It loves 160 or 165 (can't remember the exact weight) ballistic tips.
  12. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Newbie

Try a "Shooter's Friend" gel recoil pad from Cabella's. 70% recoil reduction. I shoot 7.62X54R, 8mm Mauser, 30-06, all day long with this pad and it is great.

It just slips on and is the best $20.00 I have spent in a long time.

Trust me on this one, as I have two of them.

Nick
  13. BattleRifleG3

For $20 if it's comparable to a limbsaver it's not a bad deal at all!
  14. herrsquidward

herrsquidward G&G Newbie

The .300 Win Mag is an excellent caliber. I was looking to buy a 30/06 when a friend of mine offered to sell me his .300 Win Mag. The price was irresistable so I got it. Though it has considerable recoil, I'll likely never need another rifle unless I aim to hunt Cape Buffalo or something like that. The .300 Win Mag has nearly the versatility of the '06. While it was designed for larger game, I got a decent whitetail in Georgia last year and the bullet didn't destroy the meat like people said it would.
  15. BattleRifleG3

I think of magnums as something you'd use on the same game as a comparable non-magnum but at longer ranges. I probably wouldn't use my 300 RUM on anything I wouldn't use a 30-06 for, but I would take much longer shots with confidence.
  16. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

The 300 win mag is a good round. It is very versatile and will handle pretty much anything in North America. I have a Winchester Model 70 in 300 win mag. I don't find the recoil to be that bad. I wouldn't want to shoot it all day or anything, but I don't see a situation (sighting in scope, etc.) where you would fire more than 20 rounds or so at a time - unless you were into long range target shooting. Then you would likely have a heavier rifle to mitigate recoil anyway. Long story, short - get one - will do anything you need it too.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  17. Johnnycat

Johnnycat G&G Regular

I hate a 300 Win mag - useless caliber if you ask me. More recoil than a 30-06 with little benefit in my opinion. If you want a 30 cal magnum get a Weatherby - that's a real step up. Otherwise stick with the venerable old 'o6 (not that I'm a fan of it either - but I do respect the 30-06).
  18. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

^ Thats just Silly ^
    :hitwithrock:
  19. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    so i guess i should get rid of my model 70?:09:
  20. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Yes! Send it to me! This old fa** loves M70,s and getting kicked around. sam.